Why am I who I am?

Started by Olly, February 23, 2011, 11:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olly

I was listening to  a podcast recently and it was about a man who went into Broadmoor to assess every inmate. His conclusion was that over 90% of their personality was down to experiences from the childhood, especially parents. If they were not respected as children, they didn't respect others when they were older. If they were abused even verbally as children, they grew up angry or arrogant.

What do you think? I'm sure there are angelic people out there who maybe had a horrible childhood. I'm sure there are others who are evil now and maybe had a loving upbringing.

If I have a child, can I determine the person it is going to be?

What about the gay people?
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Orior

My favourite piece of philosophy:

Nietzsche: "To do is to be"
Kant: "To be is to do"
Sinatra: "Do be do be do
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

quit yo jibbajabba

*pulls up seat, olly always gets the crowd in*

;D

ziggysego

Yes, your environment growing up can shape the person you will grow up be. However, sometimes people use this as license to carry out heinous acts, as the same happened them. This should not be used as an excuse or explanation.
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

Quote from: ziggysego on February 23, 2011, 12:03:12 PM
Yes, your environment growing up can shape the person you will grow up be. However, sometimes people use this as license to carry out heinous acts, as the same happened them. This should not be used as an excuse or explanation.

Feckit. Back to the drawing board.

deiseach

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on February 23, 2011, 12:14:59 PM
Quote from: deiseach on February 23, 2011, 12:11:29 PM
Quote from: Olly on February 23, 2011, 11:24:43 AM

What about them?

Homophobe!

Lesbians - I don't care what they do in the privacy of their own home, as long as they do it in front of me

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on February 23, 2011, 12:35:04 PM
Quote from: Hardy on February 23, 2011, 12:14:59 PM
Quote from: deiseach on February 23, 2011, 12:11:29 PM
Quote from: Olly on February 23, 2011, 11:24:43 AM

What about them?

Homophobe!

Lesbians - I don't care what they do in the privacy of their own home, as long as they do it in front of me

People from Lesbos!
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Orior

Margaret Thatcher's father was a grocer.

We should put all grocers to the sword in case such a thing ever happens again.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Billys Boots

I should introduce you to a few shopkeepers, Orior.  I'd be fairly confident I could change your mind on this one.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Olly

Quote from: Orior on February 23, 2011, 12:45:27 PM
Margaret Thatcher's father was a grocer.

We should put all grocers to the sword in case such a thing ever happens again.

That's ridiculous. He may have been a wonderful grocer and his groceries were in good condition. He maybe gave reductions in bulk buying and was a valuable member of the community. However, when he got home he may have rubbished everything Maggie said as a child and made her clean the coal bucket every night. He may have made her drink black tea. Perhaps that is why she closed the mines and took the milk away. What I'm saying is that your job does not dictate your method of bringing up your children. It would have been easy for God to tell Jesus he was busy running the universe and gave him no affection. But he didn't.

Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Cold tea

Olly