The Best Football Points and Saves

Started by laochra_gael, February 21, 2011, 04:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laochra_gael

The Best Football Points and Saves

We are currently working on compiling a list of the Best Football Points and the Best Football Saves for broadcast on TG4 this year.

Any suggestions or opinions on who should make the list?

We don't want to leave anyone out so all thoughts would be much appreciated!

Míle Buíochas

Kerry Mike

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Jinxy

Graham Geraghty just in from the endline against Dublin in 2005.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ross4life

A few top scores from Connacht men in recent years

McDonald v Dublin in 2006
Frankie Dolan v Kildare in 2003
Sean Davey v Roscommon in 2010

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Banana Man

eoin mulligans goal against the dubs is probably the best by a mile

ExiledGael

Off the top of my head, Ciaran McDonald point with outside of his boot in Connacht Championship in 2004 I think. Unreal swerve, one of the most memorable scores I've ever seen. Maybe his winner against Dublin in Croke Park a few years later too after great comeback.
Colm Bradley (Fermanagh) All-Ireland qualifier v Meath 2004, injury time sideline, around the 21, with outside of the boot to take it to extra-time.
Dooher's classic in All-Ireland final a few years back after shaking off a few defenders on touchline.
Steven O'Neill point from near endline against Dubs in floodlit game in Croke Park.
There was a youtube clip floating around here a while back of a number of Bryan Sheehan frees, unbelievable distance and height. Here: www.vimeo.com/15831360

Rufus T Firefly

Stephen O'Neill against us, into the Canal goal in the Ulster Final replay in 2005 - two points, one from each side from acute angles.
Steven McDonnell - two points against the Dubs in 2002 All Ireland semi-final, one in each end, both over his shoulder,
Stevie McDonnell again against the Dubs - qualifier in 2003 - second half, into the hill,
Stevie McDonnell again, against Donegal in Clones (match where Donegal had three men sent off), Ulster quarter-final replay - first half - beat three men and over from a narrow angle,
Any of Cavanagh's points in the second half of the 2008 All Ireland Final.

Saves - John O'Leary made a great save early in the 1994 All Ireland Final against Down,
Tony Blake against Armagh - Ulster Championship first round, 1999, in Ballybofey - second half, turned a piledriver onto the post.

That is all (for now).   

Rufus T Firefly

If you can find it in the archives, Brian McAlinden made a great save in the 1977 All Ireland semi-final replay aganst Roscommon - from memory, it won Save of the Year. 

5 Sams

Benny Coulter's point under the Hogan V Kildare last year.
Mo Fitz V the Dubs in Thurles....
Mo Fitz V Mayo under the Cusack
in fact Mo Fitz anytime I'd say :D
The Aristocrat Years

Jinxy

Quote from: Banana Man on February 21, 2011, 04:44:46 PM
eoin mulligans goal against the dubs is probably the best by a mile

That should have been a free out.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

irunthev

John Devine NFL FInal 2003 incredible save while lying on the ground.

blanketattack

Fitzy v Mayo (the final point)
Fitzy v Mayo (on the sideline on the 14 yard line with his "weaker" foot)
Corkery v Mayo in '02 1/4 final

Saves:
O'Keeffe v Armagh '00

andoireabu

Brian Dooher not so long ago.  Great run down the Cusack side then scores a brilliant point.

Dick Clerkin hit a good point against Armagh recently

Mark Vaughn with a long free off the ground. >45m out from goal.

Not sure about dates but not going to do all the work for you!!

Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

tierworker blue

Seanie Johnston scored an awesome point in the qualifiers against Wicklow last year (with the right boot, from right on the endline, way over in the right corner)
It was one of the best I have seen in the flesh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odac7i-Jbno