Down V Armagh - Newry 26th Feb

Started by 5 Sams, February 21, 2011, 10:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santino

Quote from: fan01 on February 27, 2011, 10:21:00 AM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on February 27, 2011, 10:15:04 AM
Quote from: fan01 on February 27, 2011, 10:09:55 AM
Quote from: John o connor on February 26, 2011, 11:49:26 PM
Some strange posts on here tonight , IMO thought we were very comfortable biggest 1 point win I've seen in a while . Armagh tried to play football in the first half but reverted to type in second turning up the physical stakes which in the past we would have been unable to cope with. We hit 3/4 uprights , post , and created 3/4 goal chances . A glance at the benches was the biggest difference however , I wonder how Armagh would have dealt with stevie pulling out minutes before throw in . Others have pointed to cross players and R Clarke missing , true but we started the match missing benny , ambrose , d raff , dan mc cartan and p mc comiskey. Lastly I thought c mc keever was the biggest w**nker on the Armagh but I think he has a rival in g swift .

there is only one w**nker playin last night and that has to be the so called Marty Clarke, Mckeever done enough to keep him at bay.  What about the down no.11 kneeling on finnian Moriaty neck...the red and black tinted glasses was on when this report was written.

fan01, the reason he is the so called Marty Clarke is because that is his name. I will say that again for you. That is his name.
I don't think anyone needs to say anything else to you
the same applys to our ciaran mckeever and garth swift. they are no w**nkers.
Wear u born in '01 so-called Fan01?  ;)

fan01

Quote from: Santino on February 27, 2011, 01:38:37 PM
Quote from: fan01 on February 27, 2011, 10:21:00 AM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on February 27, 2011, 10:15:04 AM
Quote from: fan01 on February 27, 2011, 10:09:55 AM
Quote from: John o connor on February 26, 2011, 11:49:26 PM
Some strange posts on here tonight , IMO thought we were very comfortable biggest 1 point win I've seen in a while . Armagh tried to play football in the first half but reverted to type in second turning up the physical stakes which in the past we would have been unable to cope with. We hit 3/4 uprights , post , and created 3/4 goal chances . A glance at the benches was the biggest difference however , I wonder how Armagh would have dealt with stevie pulling out minutes before throw in . Others have pointed to cross players and R Clarke missing , true but we started the match missing benny , ambrose , d raff , dan mc cartan and p mc comiskey. Lastly I thought c mc keever was the biggest w**nker on the Armagh but I think he has a rival in g swift .

there is only one w**nker playin last night and that has to be the so called Marty Clarke, Mckeever done enough to keep him at bay.  What about the down no.11 kneeling on finnian Moriaty neck...the red and black tinted glasses was on when this report was written.

fan01, the reason he is the so called Marty Clarke is because that is his name. I will say that again for you. That is his name.
I don't think anyone needs to say anything else to you
the same applys to our ciaran mckeever and garth swift. they are no w**nkers.
Wear u born in '01 so-called Fan01?  ;)
No. why have you a problem?

mountainboii

Quote from: bennydorano on February 27, 2011, 09:44:15 AM
We brought on 4 subs, 2 of them didn't physically touch a ball, they weakened us immeasurably.  We did the exact  same in a Mckenna cup match, thats why I would've left Mallon on( aside from the fact that he has more to offer than the boys that came on). I'd imagine he came off as he's had a niggly injury as well & maybe wasn't 100%

Benny, he didn't touch the ball in the second half. Literally didn't touch the ball. That is astonishing at this level. John Murtagh or Shorty Clarke are no world beaters but they would've at least touched leather if they'd been sent on earlier.

ardmhaca08

What annoys me: We have lost three quality forwards in Stefan Forker, Ryan Henderson and Kevin ORourke- all since POR has taken over, simply because he doesnt "rate" these lads. We need the likes of these lads who are going to pose a scoring threat on the opposition. IMO its worrying that we have absoultely no HF line and ff aren't doing much either.

Some positives to be taken from last nite but unfortunately a lot more negatives.

bennydorano

Quote from: AFS on February 27, 2011, 03:15:00 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 27, 2011, 09:44:15 AM
We brought on 4 subs, 2 of them didn't physically touch a ball, they weakened us immeasurably.  We did the exact  same in a Mckenna cup match, thats why I would've left Mallon on( aside from the fact that he has more to offer than the boys that came on). I'd imagine he came off as he's had a niggly injury as well & maybe wasn't 100%

Benny, he didn't touch the ball in the second half. Literally didn't touch the ball. That is astonishing at this level. John Murtagh or Shorty Clarke are no world beaters but they would've at least touched leather if they'd been sent on earlier.
Doubt that's true, he slipped on his hole in front of me in possession of the ball.  Watters & Clarke never touched leather, Murtagh scored a good point but is an unbelievable liability.  I know who I'd prefer to see on no matter how many 'touches' he had.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: PAULD123 on February 24, 2011, 04:46:38 PM
On a dry hard pitch where our forwards could use their speed AND IF we were playing to the standard of last summer, then giving Armagh's current form, you would expect Armagh to be torn apart. But it isn't summer, the pitch doesn't suit our game and like Armagh, we are nowhere near on form.

This will be a game of two teams struggling for form. I expect to see many mistakes, many poor decisions in the passing, Quite a few slips (mostly from Down players), and the in bursts, sporadic wonderful glimpses of brilliance. I expect this from both teams because both teams have quality forwards who have talent regardless of form but due to lack of form will not be able to do it for a full 70 minutes.

Don't think that the match can be summed up better than this pre match synopsis by PaulD123.

If Down perservere with the brand of football they are playing, minimise errors and are more clinical in their finishing, I can see them wiping the floor with many a team this year. But I realise it is a big If, as I reckon they have had the potential to do that since 2008.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

bennydorano

Where was Mal Mackin last night?  Didn't see him (or Ronan clarke) on the line.

Groucho

Quote from: bennydorano on February 27, 2011, 07:04:07 PM
Where was Mal Mackin last night?  Didn't see him (or Ronan clarke) on the line.

Probably because you were too busy watching B. Mallon :D
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

David McKeown

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 27, 2011, 12:05:53 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on February 27, 2011, 11:45:24 AM
its not going to happen for por and that means he will get the road before sept. why wait i say dump him now. armagh have not improved at all, they have no method or plan, as said here the subs seem to be planned before the game even starts ::)

R u for real, have u ever seen this happen in county football, its not the f**king premiership. Armagh have played 3 league games, won 1 and 2 tight defeats.  I mean Jesus H Christ give the man a break. 

There are alot of armagh fans that just want to blame POR no matter what happens.  Some wanted subs brought on alot earlier and others are saying the subs made no impact and were no better than what was already on the field.  I actually think that if armagh could find a couple of break ball winners in the half forward line and a fully fit ronan clarke they would be very hard to beat as they are defensively strong and decent at midfield.  POR obviously knows that they are struggling in the half forward line as he is trying out numerous players on this line over the last year and a bit.  Is it his fault that armagh are currently struggling to churn out decent half forwards.  I mean is there half fowards in armagh club football that he is ignoring?!!?

These type of rediculous statements grind my balls!!!

With all due respect the comments based on POR are clearly not based on just three league games, it based on the last 15 months when Armagh have looked completely clueless despite having a very decent squad of players and POR has looked to have been out matched by nearly every manager he has faced.  IMO POR has all ready shown himself to simply not be good enough either tactically or in keeping the squad together.  The only reason I can see for keeping him is that you wont get the required calibre of manager at the stage because they are involved with other teams.  So I can understand why others on this board are calling for his head.

Its ridiculous to suggest that teams shouldnt change managers early in the league simply because it isnt done historically.  I hope i am wrong but I cant see Armagh doing much under POR
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

fitzroyalty

In all honesty, is it POR's fault that we don't have a decent half-forward line? I would dare say it has been up to D Murtagh to provide inside knowledge on the players available in Armagh, judging by some of the inclusions in this year's panel. Someone mentioned Forker, Henderson and K O'Rourke, while I agree they are very good scoring forwards that should never have been let go, they won't solve the problems in the half forward line.

Orior

Donal Murtagh must answer for the retirement fo Forker, Henderson and O'Rourke, whilst the including Johnny Murtagh.

By the way, has Johnny Murtagh not signed on to the Cross panel because he was in the States?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Orior on February 27, 2011, 07:40:08 PM
Donal Murtagh must answer for the retirement fo Forker, Henderson and O'Rourke, whilst the including Johnny Murtagh.

By the way, has Johnny Murtagh not signed on to the Cross panel because he was in the States?
Apparently he isn't eligible as he played championship over in NY. I'd have any of those other three ahead of Murtagh.

PatDaly

When Aaron Kernan is available again he should be slotted into the half back line allowing Kevin Dyas to take a place in the half forward line. In addition Gareth O'Neill should be tried at full forward allowing Gareth Swift to get an opportunity to play at centre half forward. If Armagh could get the half forward line sorted out it would definitely get us over the line in these tight 1 or 2 point games.

1. Paul Hearty
2. Andy Mallon 3. Brendan  Donaghy 4. Finnian Moriarty
5. Aaron Kernan 6. Ciaran McKeever 7. Paul Duffy
7. Charlie Vernon 8. Kieran Toner
10. Kevin Dyas 11. Gareth Swift 12. Billy Jo Padden
13. Jamie Clarke 14. Gareth O'Neill or Ronan Clarke 15. Stevie McDonnell

armaghniac

QuoteApparently he isn't eligible as he played championship over in NY.

There was a quote from Tony Mac in the programme at Navan to the effect that while some peripheral members of the Cross panel had gone to the US/Australia, nobody of any use had done so!

The game in Newry was enjoyable enough, the Marshes is now a fine ground. Down deserved the narrow win, but weren't as good as some Mourne posters think. Neither was it the worst Armagh performance for years, anyone who says that wasn't in Navan etc in recent leagues. It is very noticeable that Armagh lack pace and lack the organisation to have the man running to take the pass. I imagine that Down and even Monaghan have taken some of the Tyrone philosophy of training at pace to promote speed of thought. Armagh is still more in the stand your ground and win your own ball mode.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tevez

The players all think Paddy Orourke and Donal Murtagh are absolutely uselees, so how is this team going to go anywhere without having respect for the manager. They know there useless and dont have a clue. We have no system at all, nobody in the forward line really knows what there jobs are. Compare that to Downs forward line. Paddy O'Rourke had alot of the Downs players in his time and they were useless, look at them now. The County Board have alot to answer for! I feel sorry for the boys trainin away knowin that they will never do anyhtin with POR in charge. County Board need to grow a set for a change!