Laois v Antrim O'Moore park 20/2/11

Started by the old vet, February 19, 2011, 05:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the old vet

i wonder would kevin meany solve our full back problem??

drici

Quote from: the old vet on February 19, 2011, 05:06:17 PM

Put more stuff in it to make it more thread like.

drici

Justin McNulty's Laois achieved a notable victory over Meath a fortnight ago.

The fact that they withstood the Royal's second-half charge and kicked on heading for the finish is a boost for morale.

A consecutive home match, with Antrim as visitors, is one they will not fear after the Saffrons were soundly beaten by Kildare on their home patch.

Kevin 'Boxer' Bradley's side started well against the Lillywhites, but found the going tough when the visitors turned up the heat. As a team, they perhaps are too reliant on the marksmanship of Paddy Cunningham - he scored eight of their 11 points a fortnight ago.

Michael McCann showed well when he was introduced the last day, but you feel that Antrim are going to need a more cohesive team effort if they are to survive in the Division.

MJ Tierney's accuracy from the boot was a feature of Laois' lowering of the Royal colours and he was well supported in the forward division by John O'Loughlin and Ross Munnelly.

The influence of a former Armagh player as coach could explain the resolve they displayed in repelling the Meath charge. Is this a sign of things to come for the midlanders?

If it is, then combined with their attacking options, they can look forward to a more productive future. The complete mix is something Antrim may find hard to cope with.

drici

drici

drici

Laois Football - Team named for NFL v Antrim

1 Eoin Culleton Tigh Mochua

2 Robert Kehoe Na Díomasaigh

3 Kevin Meaney Ard Lios Cilchrúis

4 Denis Booth An Fraoch Mór

5 Darren Strong Ioma

6 Shane Julian Ard Lios Cillín

7 Conor Boyle Port Laoise

8 Brendan Quigley Fingallions

9 Mark Timmons Graig Chuillinn

10 Colm Begley Parnells

11 John O'Loughlin Mointeach Milíc

12 Niall Donoher Coill na Cúirte

13 Ross Munnelly Ard Lios Cilchrúis

14 Billy Sheehan Ioma

15 Michael John Tierney Parnells

drici

drici

Add in some comments then.

drici

No worries - we're going to win. Remember the last time. 

drici

Oh yeah? What about the shoulder your man got? Eh? Wasn't so tough then.

haze

Interesting to see that only one Laois player from Leinster winning team of 2003- I know it's 7 years but that's a serious attrition rate.

Quote from: the old vet on February 19, 2011, 05:06:17 PM

Not so sure- he might make a good full back but not as sure Mark Timmons could replace him at midfield.

bloodybreakball

the best thing analysis that i can come up with here is that i hope antrim can win, but very unsure about how good laois are.
i dont really believe that kildare where that much stronger than antrim, our boys slowed down near the end (which sadly showed a lack of fight) and kildare tagged on a few points and then there was the goal near the end. 
i think a far bigger negative for antrim was the mistakes they made more than kildares superioty, we were very poor round midfield on the breaks which affected the ball going into the forwards, when we did have the ball to put into the forwards i think it was poor enough qulaity which didnt give dougan or hands much possession to do anything with. kevin mc gourty and andy mc clean coming back in improved things and added a bit of bulk, which michael mc cann coming back in will also do

theres good footballers in the antrim team, so antrim can be confident but i hope antrim put in a performance because of the performances dont start coming soon then we'll not stay in this division which is a very good standard for this team.

nt sure abt mick mc canns firtness but: gallagher, mcann, t.o'neill, k.mc gourty, t.mccann, hands, dougan, niblock

Jinxy

Quote from: drici on February 19, 2011, 05:29:26 PM
Add in some comments then.

Quote from: drici on February 19, 2011, 05:30:08 PM
No worries - we're going to win. Remember the last time.

Quote from: drici on February 19, 2011, 05:31:01 PM
Oh yeah? What about the shoulder your man got? Eh? Wasn't so tough then.

Keep it civil lads.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

drici

Put in a cheapo report of the game after the match.

drici

Laois 1-12 Aontroim 0-10

Laois continued their winning start in National Football League Division 2 by beating Antrim by 1-12 to 0-10 in Portlaoise.

Late points from Darren Strong, Gary Kavanagh and MJ Tierney put the seal on the O'Moore men's second league victory.

Tierney's fisted goal had the hosts 1-07 to 0-05 ahead at half-time, but they had Brendan Quigley sent-off just after the restart.

Paddy Cunningham spearheaded Antrim's charge as they made it a one-point game, but Justin McNulty's side produced the stronger finish.

Laois, who beat Westmeath two weeks ago, managed to win today despite failing to score for 27 minutes in the second half.

Tierney's haul of 1-02 was crucial for the victors, while Cunningham accounted for six of Antrim's points.

The sides were well-matched in the opening stages at O'Moore Park and were tied on four occasions inside the opening 25 minutes.

Rain showers hampered play approaching the break, but wind-backed Laois gained momentum by outscoring Antrim by 1-02 to 0-01 in the closing stages.

The unmarked Tierney was perfectly positioned on the edge of the square to fist a high ball to the net. A late point from Conor Murray closed the gap for the Saffrons to five points.

Quigley's dismissal threatened to derail Laois' charge for victory early on in the second half. Antrim scored four unanswered points during the third quarter to whittle Laois' lead down to 1-07 to 0-09.

But 'Boxer' Bradley's charges also struck four wides during their best spell of attacking play,
and they came back to haunt them when substitute Paul Cahillane pointed to get Laois back on track.

Antrim were then outscored by four points to one in the closing stages with Strong, Cahillane, Kavanagh and Tierney copper-fastening the win.