IMF seizing Irish assets?

Started by whiskeysteve, February 18, 2011, 12:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 18, 2011, 12:56:22 PM
Really interesting idea by McWilliams. In fact, I think it is one of the best ideas I have heard to enable Ireland to have some welly in negotiations. Its a pity some of the parties don't have a few innovative thinkers like McWilliams.

Was it not McWilliams who advised Brian Lenihan on the Bank Guarantee!
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 18, 2011, 05:44:04 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 18, 2011, 12:56:22 PM
Really interesting idea by McWilliams. In fact, I think it is one of the best ideas I have heard to enable Ireland to have some welly in negotiations. Its a pity some of the parties don't have a few innovative thinkers like McWilliams.

Was it not McWilliams who advised Brian Lenihan on the Bank Guarantee!

McWilliams claims lenihan only took on the bits he liked and didn't follow through with the whole plan

whiskeysteve

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 18, 2011, 05:42:58 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on February 18, 2011, 12:48:02 PM
No doubt everything of value would be considered, would it be so outrageous for the faceless IMF representatives to look at national stadia like Croke Park?

Ireland DOES NOT HAVE A NATIONAL STADIA.

The G.A.A. OWN Croke Park.

yeah, stupid point, got carried away thinking of our greatest assets under siege!

criminal stuff though, that Greek land will be seized and set a precedent for our own!

Invasion and occupation by proxy.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Rossfan

Hopefully they will seize all the NAMA assetts which might mean that we ,our children and grandchildren won't be paying back debts incurred by private Bankers/Developers etc
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Lets fill the Atlantic with U-boats and starve them into SUBmission.

armaghniac

We should buy the Tallaght stadium from the IMF.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: armaghniac on February 18, 2011, 06:03:29 PM
We should buy the Tallaght stadium from the IMF.

But pay Thomas Davis the money.

Main Street

Quote from: LaurelEye on February 18, 2011, 03:52:14 PM
Quote from: Hardy on February 18, 2011, 03:44:26 PM
Any constitutional lawyers here? My question is whether citizens can mandate a referendum by, for instance, gathering a prescribed number of signatures. Because that's the only way I can see that this will happen, as none of the political parties has it their manifesto.

There was a provision in the original Free State constitution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_Irish_Free_State#Initiative_and_referendum

which got dropped when the wrong sort of people got the idea of using it.
The only provision in the constitution is that the  President can be petitioned by 1/3 of the Dail or a majority of the Senate, to send a bill to a referendum.
Kenny wouldn't be pleased.

On the thread title,  the central Bank of Ireland is a branch of the ECB. It is the CBI which would confiscate state assets on behalf of the ECB.
Some of those assets are already in hock. I think the ESB has a massive multi billion loan on its books.
Dublin Airport Authority should actually be bankrupt.

lawnseed

yes good move by the esb they bought nie and plunged themselves into debt in the process they're worthless
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 18, 2011, 03:15:30 PM
Sinn Féin are the only party with an policy in this area that is remotely related to reality. I'm eating my words here and I never thought I would type what I just did. Their policy most probably will not work but FF/FG and Lab's will definitely not work. Its a head-in-the-sand approach underwritten by the belief/hope that our buddies in Europe will not let us down. Do you share their confidence? Did anyone else hear Lenny during the week on about "keeping the 12.5% CT rate off the table" ??!!!! I thought this was non-negotiable? How quickly things change. Liars all.

I'm hoping Noonan/Burton are saying nothing simply because they can't, as it would cause consternation in the markets if they thought our next Government were planning it. This can't be advertised or flagged in advance, .

If they are saying nothing because they have no intention of doing it, well..........Stephenite, got a spare room? For the entire GaaBoard??
MWWSI 2017

boojangles

Quote from: Rossie11 on February 18, 2011, 01:49:04 PM
Yes Muppet thats what I meant, we cant save both bank and country from default.
Apart from Shane Ross what other like minded independents are running and where?
I know Ming In Roscommon/Sth Leitrim would be of the same viewpoint

John Mc Gurk in Cavan/Monaghan, I think is alligned to Ross etc. He has been on Primetime and Vincent Browne this week. Definitely is not afraid to rattle cages and SEEMS to know what he is talking about. I'm definitely considering having him in my first 3 and I hadn't heard of him until a week ago.
Caroline Forde is another Independent running in Cavan/Monaghan. She is running on the Save Quinn jobs ticket and she will receive plenty of support.
Hopefully some of these independents get in.

Hardy

Thanks for that Laurel Eye and Main Street. Doesn't seem there's much prospect of the  wishes of the people being accommodated.

balladmaker

Another election, another FG government, either as a single party or in coalition, and what will they achieve?  Feck all is the answer, in it with the best of intentions and to line their pockets at the same time, just like FF, Labour etc.  How the gates are still standing outside Leinster House is a mystery to me, has the penny not dropped yet?!  Serious political reform is required, democracy becomes a nonsense when all available voting options will present the same ineffective governance.

People like David McWilliams must be listened to as an alternative to the political point scoring and selfish interests of politicians.  A referendum has to be offered to the people before Ireland is burgled by Euro bureaucrats in the near future.

give her dixie

For an indication of what is in store for Ireland once the IMF arrive, read Naomi Klein's excellent book,
"The Shock Doctrine".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/sep/15/politics
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

sammymaguire

I have to say I think you have nailed it on the head balladmaker. Does the Taoiseach in Ireland earn more than the US President and all the trappings that come with the job are ridiculous for a country the size of Ireland. Pensions and pay outs of phenomenal amounts ruffle a few feathers like yer man on the Late Late Show last night but the majority of people just shrug their shoulders and accept it for what it is, political cronyism at it's total worst where all these guys are in it for their bank balances

Those 5 leaders on Monday night were paltry with very little leadership or any kind of inspiration or hope coming from it, no stand out characters at all imo
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!