australia how long can it last?

Started by lawnseed, February 15, 2011, 09:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

practically everyone i know is talking about the big bucks you can earn in oz. i'm hearing about lads who couldnt join their hands who are getting 50 dollars an hour :o. this kind of scenario sounds all too familar, london in the eighties, dublin in the noughties.
i was shocked to hear a neighbour, a man of 44 years of age with a young family is looking for a sponsor! hes going without the wife and kids :o whether its greed or need is none of my business but thats a life changing decision in my book. whats driving the boom there? is it a bubble? how long can this last? where is the money coming from? is bertie ahern in charge? would you leave your family to go?
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

pullhard

I've heard from a few lads and ladies out there, loving it like, but they're saying they've seen signs saying travelling need not apply.

whiskeysteve

i dont know how you don't commit suicide, engaging in comments like that lawnseed
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Hereiam

from what i gather its the mining industry that is pushing the aussie economy forward. Once the price of copper aluminium rare metals start to fall then its back to basics.

lawnseed

Quote from: whiskeysteve on February 15, 2011, 10:09:11 AM
i dont know how you don't commit suicide, engaging in comments like that lawnseed
again whiskey what are you on about? and exactly why would i think of taking my own life? or are you on the right thread? ???

thebigfella

Lots of the big bucks talk is bullsh1t tbh. Know quite a few people out there (perminant residents and citizens) and while they are not struggling to find work, they will tell you it's only very few who land these imaginary jobs. There is money in the mining industry but I for one don't see how the money is any good to you 10 hours from anywhere in the middle of the desert  :-\

On a different note, is anyone sick of hearing about how all the young people are emigrating to Australia in the news? For a start a working holiday visa is not emigration. While some of the people taking it my find permanent jobs their, the reality the vast majority will return after their 'HOLIDAY'. It's really getting on my f**king nerves now how the figures are completely manipulated to paint a worse picture than is in fact reality.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: lawnseed on February 15, 2011, 10:16:41 AM
again whiskey what are you on about? and exactly why would i think of taking my own life? or are you on the right thread? ???

on the sidelines cribbing and moaning. the boom is getting boomier
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

ballinaman

Quote from: thebigfella on February 15, 2011, 10:41:26 AM
Lots of the big bucks talk is bullsh1t tbh. Know quite a few people out there (perminant residents and citizens) and while they are not struggling to find work, they will tell you it's only very few who land these imaginary jobs. There is money in the mining industry but I for one don't see how the money is any good to you 10 hours from anywhere in the middle of the desert  :-\

On a different note, is anyone sick of hearing about how all the young people are emigrating to Australia in the news? For a start a working holiday visa is not emigration. While some of the people taking it my find permanent jobs their, the reality the vast majority will return after their 'HOLIDAY'. It's really getting on my f**king nerves now how the figures are completely manipulated to paint a worse picture than is in fact reality.

Spot on. I'm out here in Sydney at the mo and know plenty of lads seriously struggling to find work. Lots have been forced to turn to labouring and not even using their degrees. Plenty of jobs in the arse end of nowhere alright. The working holiday visa is basically a year long j1, on the piss for the majority of it, you are only allowed to stay in 1 job for a maximum of 6 months sure. I'd say the vast majority that come will do their 3 months farm work "aka slave labour", get their 2nd year visa and then it's out the door at the end of the 2nd year because sponsorship isn't that easy to come by.

Money is decent but rent/cost of living/drink is serious too,balances out in reality. I was home at Christmas and Australia was the buzz word alright, with basically nobody actually knowing the real story.

Banana Man

wtf does that mean  ???

lawnseed

Quote from: Banana Man on February 15, 2011, 10:51:26 AM

wtf does that mean  ???
on the sidelines?? i suggest you re-read the thread.

Quote from: ballinaman on February 15, 2011, 10:51:06 AM

Spot on. I'm out here in Sydney at the mo and know plenty of lads seriously struggling to find work. Lots have been forced to turn to labouring and not even using their degrees. Plenty of jobs in the arse end of nowhere alright. The working holiday visa is basically a year long j1, on the piss for the majority of it, you are only allowed to stay in 1 job for a maximum of 6 months sure. I'd say the vast majority that come will do their 3 months farm work "aka slave labour", get their 2nd year visa and then it's out the door at the end of the 2nd year because sponsorship isn't that easy to come by.

Money is decent but rent/cost of living/drink is serious too,balances out in reality. I was home at Christmas and Australia was the buzz word alright, with basically nobody actually knowing the real story.

this is what i mean its lads like you that these 'holiday makers' need to hear from. i went to london in the mid 80s i'd heard about all the money and work, i stayed one week. it was shite. the accomodation was brutal 6 of us in the one room first up best dressed.

that said why are the lads out there ringing home with streets are paved with gold stories... sad

thebigfella

It's only decent cause no one gives a flying fcuk and spends every penny they have on partying. It's a completely different animal if your trying to hold down a proper job and save a few quid.

I have to admit I earned a fortune when I was there (I was one of the lucky ones) but I blew every penny on a rock and roll llifestyle. It was alright for a couple of years but reality has to kick in at some point for most people and when all is said and done, I couldn't be arsed labouring for the rest of my life just to get by.

ballinaman

Quote from: lawnseed on February 15, 2011, 11:04:16 AM

wtf does that mean  ???
on the sidelines?? i suggest you re-read the thread.

this is what i mean its lads like you that these 'holiday makers' need to hear from. i went to london in the mid 80s i'd heard about all the money and work, i stayed one week. it was shite. the accomodation was brutal 6 of us in the one room first up best dressed.

that said why are the lads out there ringing home with streets are paved with gold stories... sad

Don't get me wrong,there is a hell of a lot to be said for it here at the same time, weather is class and good times are to be had. The streets paved with gold stories are common enough. You're not gonna be ringing home saying its sh1te after coming all this way, can't excatly tip home for the weekend if things get tough. If you don't have experience post college, you're looking at rural australia. Most i know are coming to get away from the supposed "depression" at home and are shacking up in St Kilda or Bondi, and sure why not, unreal places to live for a year or two.

brokencrossbar1

Oh I'm missing you
I'd give all for the price of the flight
Oh I'm missing you
Under Piccadilly's neon
In nineteen hundred and eighty six
There's not much for a chippie or swinging the pick
And you can't live on love and on love alone
So you sail cross the ocean, away cross the foam
To where you're a Paddy, you're a Biddy, your a Mick
Good for nothing but stacking the brick
And your best mate's a spade and he carries a hod
Two work horses heavily shod
Oh I'm missing you
Oh I'm missing you
Under Piccadilly's neon
Who did you murder, or are you a spy?
I'm fond of a drink helps me laugh, helps me cry
Now I just drink red biddy for a permanent high
And I laugh a lot less and I'll cry till I die
Oh I'm missing you
Oh I'm missing you
Under Piccadilly's neon
All you young people now take my advice
Before crossing the ocean you'd better think twice
Cause you can't live without love, without love alone
And the proof's around London in the nobody zone
Where the summer is fine, but the winter's a fridge
Wrapped up in old cardboard under Charing Cross Bridge
And I'll never go home now because of the shame
Of the misfit's reflection in a shop window pane
Oh I'm missing you
Oh I'm missing you
Under Piccadilly's neon
Oh I'm missing you
Oh I'm missing you
Under Piccadilly's neon
I'm missing you, I'm missing you, I'm missing you

whiskeysteve

wtf does that mean  ???
we have turned the corner. i commend australia to the board

boojangles

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 15, 2011, 11:26:55 AM
Oh I'm missing you
Oh I'm missing you
Under Piccadilly's neon
In nineteen hundred and eighty six
There's not much for a chippie or swinging the pick
And you can't live on love and on love alone
So you sail cross the ocean, away cross the foam
To where you're a Paddy, you're a Biddy, your a Mick
Good for nothing but stacking the brick