Leitrim

Started by Olly, February 13, 2011, 10:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olly

Leitrim only has 29'000 people yet at one stage they had 155'000 people.

Does anyone know what happened apart from the famine?

Are there any other Leitrim facts. I heard one about there being to traffic lights but I don't believe it.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Olly

Also I read they have the lowest life expectancy for men in Ireland. What the hell is going on?
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

ziggysego

I heard if you put your ear up to seashells found in Mayo, you can hear Leitrim folks quoting Dustin Hoffman's lines from Tootsie.
Testing Accessibility

Olly

Life Expectancy at birth

* The all-Ireland life expectancy was 75.6 years for males and 80.6 years for females.
    * Life expectancy was 75.9 years for males and 80.6 years for females in Northern Ireland.
    * Life expectancy was 75.5 years for males and 80.6 years for females in the Republic of Ireland.
    * Ballymoney (in Northern Ireland) had the highest life expectancy for both males and females across the whole island (as well as in Northern Ireland) with life expectancy of 78.1 and 82.4 years respectively.
    * Roscommon had the highest life expectancy in the Republic of Ireland for both males and females, 76.9 and 82.2 years respectively.
    * In Northern Ireland, Belfast had the lowest life expectancy for males at 73.5 years. In the Republic of Ireland, Leitrim had the lowest life expectancy for males of 72.8 years.
    * In Northern Ireland, Derry had the lowest life expectancy for females of  79.3 years. In the Republic of Ireland, Limerick at had the lowest life expectancy for females of 79.3 years.

armaghniac

Is Leitrim the first place in Ireland to have more houses than people?

If your house was on the Roscommon - Leitrim border and your bed was in Leitrim, but your living room in Roscommon, how long would you live?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

King Kenny

If you moved from Leitrim to Roscommon when you were 70,  would you add a couple of extra years on to your life?  And if so,  would it be worth the hassle?

Olly

Quote from: armaghniac on February 13, 2011, 11:14:02 PM

If your house was on the Roscommon - Leitrim border and your bed was in Leitrim, but your living room in Roscommon, how long would you live?

You definitely spend more time in your bedroom so I think you'd be looking at 73.

Quote from: King Kenny on February 13, 2011, 11:26:59 PM
If you moved from Leitrim to Roscommon when you were 70,  would you add a couple of extra years on to your life?  And if so,  would it be worth the hassle?

No. I think the damage has been done.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Olly on February 13, 2011, 10:49:02 PM
Leitrim only has 29'000 people yet at one stage they had 155'000 people.

Does anyone know what happened apart from the famine?

Are there any other Leitrim facts. I heard one about there being to traffic lights but I don't believe it.

Mayo & Leitrim where the worst two affected counties hit by the famine, Mayo once boasted about 450-550,000 people pre-famine, dropping below the 100,000 mark and now up around 125,000. It seems its where the term "Mayo God help us comes from" because @ the dining tables of upper class England nearly every report seemed to mention Mayo, Mayo was the Biafra or Ethiopia of its age. Think Leitrim suffered the same fate as Mayo really.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

JUst retired

Is Mayo not the stuff you put on sandwiches? I can confirm there are traffic lights in Leitrim as I saw them.But they wernt working at the time. ;D

Olly

Leitrim is divided into two parts by Lough Allen; the northern part is mountainous, the southern part level. Potatoes and oats are grown. Industries include textiles, electrical goods, and automotive parts

In 1588 Sir Brian O'Rourke sheltered 1,000 Spaniards after the Armada had been destroyed by the English fleet; for this he was driven from the country and executed in 1591.

Canalman

Strange county in that it stretches from near Ballyshannon/ Fermanagh to north to having parts of it where they commute daily ( a long commute I know) to work in west Dublin/ Kildare.

Sound sound hospitable people.

Billys Boots

I remember we used to slag the Laythrum lads in school about the county's birthrate - in one of the early years of the 1980s it was really low, 12 babies in a year, if I remember correctly! 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 14, 2011, 12:09:57 PM
I remember we used to slag the Laythrum lads in school about the county's birthrate - in one of the early years of the 1980s it was really low, 12 babies in a year, if I remember correctly! 

If Leitrim people were bears or reptiles they'd be on the WWF endangered list.

(Wresting fans feck off to some other thread).

Billys Boots

QuoteIf Leitrim people were bears or reptiles they'd be on the WWF endangered list.

If you ever went to Cartown (the local night-spot to Carrick) on a Saturday night, you'd understand why too.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...