Ulster Under 21 Football & Ulster Under 21 Hurling Championships 2011

Started by drici, February 11, 2011, 12:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Any craic

Watch Tyrone finally end the epic battle with Down - Paddy McNeice kicks a point from the sideline tonight in Armagh - http://bit.ly/eiqKZr

whitegoodman

What exactly is the basis on saying that the winner of tyrone and down were going to win the ulster championship.  Downs record at this level lately other than a couple of yrs under pete has been pretty pathetic and as previously mentioned they got an awful hidding last year by cavan.  Tyrones record at this level lately hasnt been that pretty either.

Admittedly I only seen one of the 3 games but the game that i did see was an exciting game but of a very poor standard.  There are no sour grapes but I dont expect Tyrone to win the Ulster championship and other than Coney and Harte it didnt look like any players were ready to make the step up to senior level. ( And that included the Down team )

Aaron Boone

Monaghan & Cavan will love that chat. I think in the 2008 minors, Monaghan pushed Tyrone all the way.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 30, 2011, 10:05:14 PM
Monaghan & Cavan will love that chat. I think in the 2008 minors, Monaghan pushed Tyrone all the way.

So did Cavan. Anyway Pauld123 seems to know an awful lot about how good Cavan and Monaghan are (must've been at the matches) so I'll agree that Tyrone will be unstoppable on their way to another AI title.

tyroneman

Thought TYrone, once they got the going for goals outof thier system were phenomenal.

Down no 13 was creating havoc until a double change in check. By end all 3 Down FF line were off I think.

Coney is a serious talent but really needs to get the glory head off. RoN cool as you like with all the frees - hopefully our answer for the seniors in a year or two.

Mattie D - massive point in secoind half would have graced any game.

McNeice very good also.

Pete Harte head and shoulders above - looked like a senior among men (which I guess he is).

Down no9 very good fielding, took some mighty catches near the end.

Hunger saw Tyorne through.

Disappointed in the crowd reaction to the trouble in the tunnel - too many grown men who should know better egging the whole thing on.

ck

I asked the Down lads behind me who the Down mentor was in the yellow bib... They just rolled their eyes and said "Stephen Poacher, an absolute tube"
To be honest the man was an embarressment. Shouting at Tyrone forwards as they took free kicks, running on to the pitch with his fist in the air at every opportunity.. and he started that row at half time too. He looked out of control at times. The man should not be let loose on any side-line!!

tyroneman

Yeh. He seemed to be winding the crowd up quite a bit at half time too. A disgrace.

ck

Quote from: tyroneman on March 30, 2011, 10:53:00 PM
Yeh. He seemed to be winding the crowd up quite a bit at half time too. A disgrace.

With a lunatic like that on the line, no wonder they lost.

ONeill

Peter Harte moving to CHB was the winning of the game. Until that point Down were completely overrunning Tyrone. Their half forward line were blitzing Tyrone. Gavin Teague looked unfit and was subbed in the first half. Gervin came at CHF and Harte moved back. After that, Tyrone outscored Down 1-13 to 0-2 in half an hour.

I would worry about Tyrone's defence. If they can win possession around the middle, then they have serious talent to put up a big score. Donnelly, Coney, O'Neill and McNeice can torment any defence. Coney can be a bit goal-obsessed but still unmarkable when he decides to shake himself.

Take Harte out of that defence and it's a shakey 1-7. If Cavan/Monaghan have a good set of forwards and can win ball at MF, the three games against Down may count for nothing. McKenna had 3-4 men hanging out of him when he fielded clean ball. Richard Donnelly or Harte for that matter seem to find it easier to release the ball or run with it after fielding.

Down have some decent forwards who'll make a mark at senior level. Poland the midfielder caught the eye too.

Good win for Tyrone but not anywhere near All-Ireland contenders yet.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mid Down Gael

In the end of a thrilling 3 game saga, Tyrone deservedly came out on top with a phenomenal second half performance. Down had a great start with Danny Savage causing havoc, he brilliantly put Paul Devlin through who took his goal well. Paul McPolin was having a superb first half, his ability to win break ball was the catalyst for Downs impressive opening 20 minutes.
Raymond Munroe then made very astute changes introducing Ciaran Gervin and Tiernan McCann in a reshuffle which saw Peter Harte moving to centre half back. Tyrone then hit a purple patch resulting in a Ronan ONeill goal.
For Downs dominance in the opening 20, it was disapointing going in at half time level after relinquishing a six point lead.
Tyrone finally showed the finease and class in thier armoury after the interval, the first time in 3 games they played to thier full potential. Harte was immence while Shea McGuigan displayed playmaking skills that would be associated with his elder brother Brian. Coney, Sludden, McNiece, Mattie Donnelly and Ronan ONeill, who kicked 1-6, where also very impressive for the red hands.
Disapointing second half for Down but they gave a great account of themselves over the 3 games. Paul McPolin gave a great effort for the cause tonight, Poland, Savage and Devlin also had some great moments.
Would have liked to have seen Arthur McConnville utilised at edge of square much earlier and was disapointed the management didnt stick with Brady playing in an inside forward role where he was so effective in previous games, Coming out aroung the half forward line suited Tyrone.

Well done to both teams on 3 enthralling encounters and good luck to Tyrone in the rest of the competition.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: ONeill on March 30, 2011, 11:19:22 PM
Peter Harte moving to CHB was the winning of the game. Until that point Down were completely overrunning Tyrone. Their half forward line were blitzing Tyrone. Gavin Teague looked unfit and was subbed in the first half. Gervin came at CHF and Harte moved back. After that, Tyrone outscored Down 1-13 to 0-2 in half an hour.

I would worry about Tyrone's defence. If they can win possession around the middle, then they have serious talent to put up a big score. Donnelly, Coney, O'Neill and McNeice can torment any defence. Coney can be a bit goal-obsessed but still unmarkable when he decides to shake himself.

Take Harte out of that defence and it's a shakey 1-7. If Cavan/Monaghan have a good set of forwards and can win ball at MF, the three games against Down may count for nothing. McKenna had 3-4 men hanging out of him when he fielded clean ball. Richard Donnelly or Harte for that matter seem to find it easier to release the ball or run with it after fielding.

Down have some decent forwards who'll make a mark at senior level. Poland the midfielder caught the eye too.

Good win for Tyrone but not anywhere near All-Ireland contenders yet.

Ronan McNabb and Kevin Mossey along with Harte, Pickering, McNamee and McQuaid would be a brave back six with a fully fit Gavin Teague also being a good option.

ONeill

Is McNabb carrying an injury? He was brought on in the first game but that was it. Mossey was having a mare in the first game but that seemed to be down to injury and is still out. Teague was poor. Pickering is a hard one to call. He seems to be the firefighter but lacks something to play anywhere but corner back.

Maybe Down's forward unit deserve praise.

Any craic

Here's some of Down's early scores as they raced into a 6-point lead, some well-taken points - http://bit.ly/eND3La

tyrone86

Quote from: ONeill on March 30, 2011, 11:35:10 PM
Is McNabb carrying an injury? He was brought on in the first game but that was it. Mossey was having a mare in the first game but that seemed to be down to injury and is still out. Teague was poor. Pickering is a hard one to call. He seems to be the firefighter but lacks something to play anywhere but corner back.

Maybe Down's forward unit deserve praise.

McNabb came on in Omagh as well as in Newry and was a major influence in both games. Teague is carrying an injury and wasn't togged out the last 2 weeks - given the influence McPolin had on the previous 2 games it was a major gamble to throw him in at CHB tonight. However, if he improves as much in a week as Gervan did then he'll be ok next week. Harsh on Pickering perhaps - he'll not come up against many forwards the calibre of McPolin, who skinned him in Newry, between now and the end of the year - I've no doubt he can do a job at CHB if necessary to free up Harte.

ONeill

McNabb also gave the team a better shape in Newry yet he still can't get a start. No appearance at all yesterday. There has to be some other factor there.