Fine Gael - 6 County Voters to be allowed vote for Irish President.

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, February 10, 2011, 04:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Found this on www.politics.ie

A poster opened a thread based on an Irish News Article stating that Fine Gael intends to allow Northern voters particapate in choosing our Head of State.

http://www.politics.ie/fine-gael/151662-fine-gael-northern-voters-get-say-who-becomes-president.html
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Banana Man

seafoid

wouldn't it be gas if all the Unionists voted and their candidate won? 

All of a Sludden

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

amallon

I can't see this happening.  Would they have poling stations across the north?  Unionists wouldn't vote anyway.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Premier Emperor

Ulick

Shrewd move by the Blueshirts which will win them quite a few SF transfers. Logistically there  shouldn't be a problem as it could all be done by post or even electronically though I would question whether there is a need to change the constitution to allow for it.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Ulick on February 10, 2011, 07:40:54 PM
Shrewd move by the Blueshirts which will win them quite a few SF transfers. Logistically there  shouldn't be a problem as it could all be done by post or even electronically though I would question whether there is a need to change the constitution to allow for it.

FG getting SF transfers, I don't think so :D more likely trying to woo the more republican elements of FF.

Pangurban

I wont hold my breath waiting for this initiative to become reality, just more empty election rhetoric from the Blueshirts, which will be quickly forgotten

Ulick

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 10, 2011, 07:46:09 PM
FG getting SF transfers, I don't think so :D more likely trying to woo the more republican elements of FF.

How do you figure that when FF had been blocking the SF push for this measure for years?

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Pangurban on February 10, 2011, 08:51:37 PM
I wont hold my breath waiting for this initiative to become reality, just more empty election rhetoric from the Blueshirts, which will be quickly forgotten

Thankfully one of our northern brethren has a bit of cop on.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Maguire01

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on February 10, 2011, 09:08:27 PM
Briefly looking at the Fenian News story, it looks like the Presidential vote would be extend not just to Irish citizens in the North, but also across the world as it currently is in some other countries where votes can be cast at a local Irish Embassy. However this would require a constitutional amendment.
When I heard the story this morning it sounded like it was planned initially for the Irish abroad but that journalists interpreted that in doing so it  would also open it up to those in norn iron. I didnt get the impression that it was an idea devised for the north.