Plane crash at Cork Airport - Flight from Belfast. 6 confirmed dead

Started by Tubberman, February 10, 2011, 10:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hound on February 10, 2011, 01:19:20 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 10, 2011, 01:05:25 PM
I know it may be too early as people grieve but why was there an attempt to land in such bad fog? Did the fog decend all of a sudden. Could a decision not have been made to divert to Shannon long before the plane came near Cork?

That siad I hope Hound gets good news.
Tried to land on one runway, abandoned coz of fog. Then immediately tried the other, but it was no better. Then circled for 20 minutes until it was deemed better conditions, and attempted for the third time, with the disasterous outcome.

Thanks for all the good wishes. Heard nothing yet. Helpline only confirmed he was onboard.

EDIT: Just got the news. He's gone. Very sad. RIP

So sorry Hound, I'm at work here and everyone, now that is, so relieved but only too mindful of the unfortunate ones who have lost theirs lives.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ross4life

RIP to those that have left us my thoughts with the family & friends
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Kerry Mike

Very sorry Hound about your friend, may he and all the others RIP.

As far as I know Cork does not have fog landing equipment, I have flown in there a lot of times over the years and for 3 years I was in there every week on a Monday monring and have been diverted to Shannon and Farranfore on occasions after failing to land in Cork. The approach from the city side looks deceptive as it very hilly, you think the ground is well below you and then all of a sudden you are landed, it can look scary but you always trust the pilots and traffic controllers to get you on the ground safe.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Doogie Browser

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Joxer

Sympathy to you Hound on the lost of his friend and to all those who have lost loved ones!

Terrible tragedy!

quit yo jibbajabba

dont claim to know the woman, but have heard of a woman losing her husband in the crash, a week after burying her father...

condolences to all involved...

Galwaybhoy

Terrible tragedy.

So sorry to hear about your friend Hound.  May all who have lost their lives Rest In Peace and I hope that those in hospital make a full recovery.

gerry

Terrible news for all concerned may they rest in peace. Sorry for your loss hound
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

isourboydownyet

just heard that a fella i knew was killed in the crash,his wife just buried her father a week ago and has 2 small kids very sad

ziggysego

Quote from: isourboydownyet on February 10, 2011, 03:04:34 PM
just heard that a fella i knew was killed in the crash,his wife just buried her father a week ago and has 2 small kids very sad

Jeezs, I'm sorry to hear. RIP :(
Testing Accessibility

Croí na hÉireann

Jaysus, that's awful lads, just when you think the news can't get any worse.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Norf Tyrone

Awful stuff.

RIP to all who perished, with an extra prayer for the friends of those on here.

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone