Earphones/Headphones

Started by Catch the high ball, February 09, 2011, 09:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catch the high ball

Anybody came across any good sets of earphones for an average enough price?

Wouldn't want to be spending much more than £20.

Cheers
GAA Board World Cup Sweepstake Winner 2010

David McKeown

Ive become addicted to headphones in the last year, couple of quick questions and I may be able to help.

1. What type of earphones/headphones do you fancy (in ear/on ear/over ear)
2.  What do you plan to use the cans on? (iphone etc)
3. Where do you intend to listen to the music?
4. What type of music do you like?
5. What do you like to hear most in music? i.e. do you like bass, prefer clear vocals or like clean crisp highs?
6. How important are looks?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: David McKeown on February 09, 2011, 10:15:39 PM
Ive become addicted to headphones in the last year, couple of quick questions and I may be able to help.

5. What do you like to hear most in music? i.e. do you like bass, prefer clear vocals or like clean crisp highs?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm also looking for a pair of decent / cheap earphones:
1. in ear
2. ipod
3. gym - find it very hard to get earphones that dont fall out
4. Mostly dance / rock, something with a strong beat when i'm working out
5. Not really sure, so it probably doesnt matter. If pushed, I'd say clear vocals
6. Not very, but all the same wouldnt want anything too garish

Thanks in advance
Hasta la victoria siempre

ballinaman

I've had these ones for about 3 years now and they have been class. Better than the regular in ear ones and the outside noise cancelling is pretty decent too. Not sure of the exact make though.

ziggysego

Quote from: ballinaman on February 10, 2011, 12:53:45 AM
I've had these ones for about 3 years now and they have been class. Better than the regular in ear ones and the outside noise cancelling is pretty decent too. Not sure of the exact make though.

Sony MDR-EX71SL Fontopia

I personally like Sennheiser earphones.
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on February 10, 2011, 12:41:53 AM

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm also looking for a pair of decent / cheap earphones:
1. in ear
2. ipod
5. Not really sure, so it probably doesnt matter. If pushed, I'd say clear vocals

Thanks in advance
You are not hijacking the thread.
For the price, the Sennheiser CX-300 are decent enough  and might fit your requirements.
The cable is neater than most and the buds stay in the ear.
Probably there are similarly priced others that compare but I haven't tried them.

Catch the high ball

1. What type of earphones/headphones do you fancy (in ear/on ear/over ear
in ear
ipod
Travelling
Dance, indie, bit of everything really
like good bass with my music
usually just use the normal in ear earphones, prefer them

GAA Board World Cup Sweepstake Winner 2010

lurganblue

I have a pair of skullcandy in ear headphones that loup over round your ear. Got them for about 20 quid from hmv. I use them with my iPhone while running. Perfect as they don't move and have a good sound. On occasion I've been caught in the rain and never had a problem with them

bcarrier

bluetooth headphones the way to go if combining iphone/running imo.

lurganblue

Quote from: bcarrier on February 10, 2011, 11:05:07 PM

Expensive? Battery life?

David McKeown

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on February 10, 2011, 12:41:53 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on February 09, 2011, 10:15:39 PM

1. in ear
2. ipod

Thanks in advance

Assuming your budget is less than £30 quid then id suggest something like the Sennheinser addias range particularly the CX 680 or the PMX 680.  I like both for in gym use (ive the cx 680 and I recently bought by brother the pmx 680) because they stay in the ear well and arent affected by line noise when the headphone cable rubs against your clothing.  Main Street's suggestion of the cx300 or cx 300ii is a good suggestion aswell but i worry about mine during strenuous exercise if Im sweating alot.

David McKeown

Quote from: Catch the high ball on February 10, 2011, 06:49:52 PM
1. What type of earphones/headphones do you fancy (in ear/on ear/over ear
in ear
ipod
Travelling
Dance, indie, bit of everything really
like good bass with my music
usually just use the normal in ear earphones, prefer them

The Sennheiser cx 300 isnt a bad shout here as it isolates noise quiet well but they may lack a little on the bass front they start out very bright (sharp high pitched tones) and need at least ten hours run in.

Alternatively the Soundmagic pl 11 are quiet good too much fuller bass than the cx 300 which just as a personal preference I dont like as much.  Cant remember what these are like for isolation.

Both these sets are available for 15-20 but be wary there are soo many fakes about.  I got my pairs from richer sounds in Belfast for around a tenner as they price matched amazon

David McKeown

Quote from: bcarrier on February 10, 2011, 11:05:07 PM

Really is size not a problem.  I always found it to be although my bluetooth headphones are the PXC 310 which i find too big and clunky to run with.  I also think the lack of a cable dramatically reduces sound quality.

5 Sams

Lads wee bit of advice needed. I listen to spotify using a decent set of head phones (Panasonic £60-£70 quids worth.) on Ipad and PC. Sound quality pretty good. Is it worth spending another £200-£300 on those big brand headphones.  Will there be much more increase in sound quality. I'm not downloading tunes just streaming. Ta in advance.
The Aristocrat Years

David McKeown

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 09, 2015, 09:10:23 PM
Lads wee bit of advice needed. I listen to spotify using a decent set of head phones (Panasonic £60-£70 quids worth.) on Ipad and PC. Sound quality pretty good. Is it worth spending another £200-£300 on those big brand headphones.  Will there be much more increase in sound quality. I'm not downloading tunes just streaming. Ta in advance.

It's a slippery slope. You might buy a good set of headphones, get a marked improvement then decide you want the best out of the phones so you buy a good dac/headphone amp, that's another 100-1000 gone. Then you want the best out of that set up so you start buying 24/192 versions of your favourite albums at £20 a pop and all of a sudden that 200-300 becomes 2000 - 3000. That's what happened me anyway. I'm now addicted to my high end hifi and it's costing me a fortunate.

To answer the question. You will notice a difference but only you will know if the difference was worth the money.