Tyrone v Donegal - Healy Park - Sat 19th Feb

Started by tyroneman, February 08, 2011, 10:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cde

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 17, 2011, 05:29:13 PM
Would be strange for Mickey to name the team on a Wed night.

You can see already why he wanted to win the 1st game so badly. We've got a few tough away games alright and we need to get back to the winning habit.

I've often said this before but we can't we get a damn good right footed free taker.
Teams that have them always seem to do well. Is it lack of practice or what?
From what I can see we've missed a lot of scores over the last year and a half and often we are losing matches by one or two points. Surely this needs to be addressed.

I'd like to see Big Sean in at corner forward with a licence to roam.
Is Colm back for this game?

Will Donegal target Block's lack of pace like Derry did?

Conor is injured, don't think he will be playing

omagh_gael

McKenna to start for Tyrone with Mulligan named in subs

Mulligan has not played for Tyrone since the All-Ireland quarter-final
Niall McKenna will make his first Tyrone start in Saturday's Allianz Football League clash against Donegal while Owen Mulligan is in the subs.
McKenna, who excelled after coming on as a sub in the defeat by Derry, replaces Aidan Cassidy at midfield.
The other changes Aidan McCrory and Davy Harte taking over from Damien McCaul and PJ Quinn in defence.
Mulligan is back in the Red Hand squad after returning from a six-week holiday in Australia.
He played no part in the Dr McKenna Cup campaign, and also missed the opening Division Two defeat by Derry.
Cassidy, McCaul and Quinn are all included in the substitutes.
Manager Mickey Harte has named a reduced 23-man squad for the Healy Park game because of a number of injuries.

Tyrone: P McConnell, A McCrory, C McCarron, R McMenamin, D Harte, C Gormley, D Carlin, K Hughes, N McKenna, P Harte, B McGuigan, S Cavanagh, M Penrose, Stephen O'Neill, E McGinley. Subs: J Curran, A Cassidy, M Donnelly, D McCaul, O Mulligan, Sean O'Neill, PJ Quinn, M Swift.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

Yeah both are still injured. I thought ye said Block was injured too.
What's the early view on McCrory? That's not a bad forward line. Who'd have thought Cassidy wouldn't make the 1st 15. With colm & the 2 mcMahons and Mugsy all coming back competition for places should be interesting come May. Injuries permitting of course. We've got quite a few 6 footers now.

I hope to God come Summer its not the usual half back line. One big reason why we won it in 03 and 05 was pace. I fear we've lost that now

ck

I attended the Sligo Donegal game last time out. Donegal were damn poor in the 1st half but clawed back in to it. There is a lot being said about McGuinness at the moment that he is the man to turn it round, whilst I don't disagree, he has a poor enough outfit there and maybe has brought in a few too many U.21's a bit too soon. Think Tyrone will wipe them off the field to be honest.

Rois

Really interested to see how Dermot Carlin does at half back as think he has a lot to offer racing up the wing.

tyroneman

Not sure what to think of Cass being dropped. Hasn't been that good so far this year, plenty of time to improve.

McKenna deserves a start.

I see Mattie nailed 6 for UUJ today. Hopefully Mickey will take him on board later in the year...

Fear ón Srath Bán

In fairness to young Cassidy, he's still in rehabilitation from that horror of an injury last year -- he'll get there I'd say, and no harm to keep the competition for places red (boom boom!  ;) ) hot at this stage of the season.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fuzzman

Can anyone give us some news on young Donnelly who don't know him?
Is he from Trillick? Where does he usually play? Half back or forward?

Why do you think he hasn't made the squad this year?

What do ye think of the other new lads like McCrory, Girvan etc
Did they play minor or U21?

Presume this match isn't on live on Setanta? Who is?

omagh_gael

Quote from: tyroneman on February 18, 2011, 12:47:39 AM
I see Mattie nailed 6 for UUJ today. Hopefully Mickey will take him on board later in the year...

As far as I'm aware is it not a case of Mattie himself not committing to the county squad instead of Harte not asking him in? Didn't he leave the panel of his own accord last year?

To Fuzzman, Donnelly is a forward but not an out an out FF as can roam out the field as a playmaker as well as a score getter. You're correct he is from Trillick.

Not 100% sure on McCrory's underage career but Gervin was a mainstay in the team that won the AI in '08. Operating from HF as far as I can recall. Not as much success with U21's as they have massively underperformed in the last 3/4.

The game is on Setanta, not sure which one (don't they have 2 channels?) but I'm sure you'll find a watering hole that will be showing it.

Fuzzman

Yeah I just checked.
Its on Setanta 1 which I get on sky so that's grand

http://www.setanta.com/ie/TV-Listings/

So does young Donnelly not want back into the panel again or is he worried that he'll just be a bench warmer all year and not get to play for his club. I think some arrangement should be made about that. Obviously there will always be players in the squad that are away down the list in pecking order.

It will be interesting to see who is the starting MF come championship time.
We've a range of options now but I just hope Mickey doesn't revert to putting poor Justy back to FB. I believe he hates it there.

begrudger

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Thanks for the link Gaffer, saved me from Martin McHugh on Highland Radio.