Am I going to be arrested?

Started by Hardy, February 08, 2011, 10:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

OK – I was slagging that young wan from Tyrone, but anyway ...

I was driving down the M8 on Sunday afternoon and I passed a car. I was slightly over the speed limit when I passed him and then slowed to my cruising speed again – just on the limit. I looked in my mirror and saw two (just two) flashes of a couple of blue lights between his headlights. He then pulled out and passed me and as he went past he pointed to his left. He wasn't in uniform.

I expected two things.
- 1. I was told by someone who was stopped by an unmarked car that that they passed him and showed a red sign in the rear window – "Garda – please stop" or something.
- 2. I expected him to indicate left and pull in, at which stage I would have pulled in behind him.

When neither of these things happened I did nothing. He drove on and I drove on behind him.  I don't know what's happening at this stage. Is he expecting me to pull in and then he will follow suit in front of me? We drove for maybe five miles like this, with him one or two cars ahead of me. I then pulled off at the Cashel exit (having passed at least one exit before), giving plenty of warning by indicating well in advance so that he could pull off too, if he wanted to. He didn't.

So what's the story? Am I supposed to stop for a car that just flashes a blue light behind me (which I would have missed if I hadn't been watching my mirror)? This fella had no uniform or any sign that he was a garda. Are they going to turn up at the house and accuse me of failing to stop for a garda? My position is that I'm not stopping for anyone (especially on the motorway, where it's illegal to stop except in an emergency) unless I'm sure it's a genuine garda. Anyone know the rules?

fitzroyalty

However unlikely, I know a lad who owned a car similar to an unmarked PSNI car (Vectra). For some reason he fitted blue flashing lights behind the grill, thinking it would be funny to turn them on every now and again and fool unsuspecting road users. This was about 5/6 years ago, and is no doubt illegal. Same thing might have happened you.

AZOffaly

Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 08, 2011, 10:47:37 AM
However unlikely, I know a lad who owned a car similar to an unmarked PSNI car (Vectra). For some reason he fitted blue flashing lights behind the grill, thinking it would be funny to turn them on every now and again and fool unsuspecting road users. This was about 5/6 years ago, and is no doubt illegal. Same thing might have happened you.

Was going to say the same thing. I know an electrician who wired up a dashboard 'flasher' to his cigarette lighter. If a car was going too slowly for him he'd turn on the blue flasher and they'd pull out of the way.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Hardy on February 08, 2011, 10:11:24 AM

I was driving down the M8 on Sunday afternoon and I passed a car. I was slightly over the speed limit when I passed him and then slowed to my cruising speed again – just on the limit. I looked in my mirror and saw two (just two) flashes of a couple of blue lights between his headlights. He then pulled out and passed me and as he went past he pointed to his left. He wasn't in uniform.

Are you certain you hadn't your right indicator on ??

muppet

The campaign starts here:

Free the Hardy 1!
MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 08, 2011, 10:55:06 AM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 08, 2011, 10:47:37 AM

Was going to say the same thing. I know an electrician who wired up a dashboard 'flasher' to his cigarette lighter. If a car was going too slowly for him he'd turn on the blue flasher and they'd pull out of the way.

It was probably just a cop wanting to get passed you.

Orior

A comedian (cant remember who) once did a sketch about the difference between Irish/British cops and USA cops.

Over here, they pull up in front of you, whereas in USA they pull up behind you.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Olly

If you do go to jail just be careful in there. There are boys who will make you hide narcotics and alcohol in your private places. They might also force you to change your sexual preferences in return for extras like toilet roll or newspapers. My advice is to go for it. It's only for a few months and sure you'll never see those lads again. You might even change too.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Declan

QuoteI looked in my mirror and saw two (just two) flashes of a couple of blue lights between his headlights

Sounds strange as I thought the unmarked cars had blue light on dash as well and would pull in behind you.

Think you're safe enough

saffron sam2

Quote from: Hardy on February 08, 2011, 10:11:24 AM

Was there possibly a splendid thing ambling illegally along the hard shoulder that he was trying to draw your attention to?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Shamrock Shore

Hardy.

Yes. I spoke to a Garda pal of mine and the name ***** ***** is now top of the most wanted.

Hardy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 08, 2011, 12:12:39 PM
Hardy.

Yes. I spoke to a Garda pal of mine and the name ***** ***** is now top of the most wanted.

Could any of our more experienced contributors help me to choose one of these ?

illdecide

There's one way for sure to know if it was the Garda...whip out your c**k and stick it up to the window as they're passing you and shout yeeaaahhhhooooo.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Banana Man

Quote from: illdecide on February 08, 2011, 12:53:38 PM
There's one way for sure to know if it was the Garda...whip out your c**k and stick it up to the window as they're passing you and shout yeeaaahhhhooooo.

who would steer the motor  ;)

mannix

you were likely the victim of a flash and run, its common in tipperary. gardai that flash the lights and then decide its time for a snackbox. jon kenny and pat shortt even done a skit on it.