The GAA needs to get past its suspicion of hype

Started by Eamonnca1, February 07, 2011, 06:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Something I've been saying for years.  His punctuation is terrible, but his point is bang on... 

QuoteThe Irish Times - Monday, February 7, 2011

The GAA needs to get past its suspicion of hype

TOM HUMPHRIES

LOCKERROOM: We have a huge problem in the GAA. How to accommodate the existence of money around amateur games

THIS IS rugby country. Guinness says it is and Guinness is one of the few institutions left to us which has any credibility. What an ad. Fishermen. Farm folk. Cleaners. Supermarket employees. The very seed stock of the Irish rugby world, all staring proudly and defiantly at the camera, thinking hard about patriotism while wearing their bold green jerseys.

It's so ludicrous and overblown that it reminds me of Guinness' hurling ads in the mid 1990s. Not men but giants. Ludicrous. Overblown. Brilliant. What hype should be.

Makes me regret not rounding up and extraditing all those godbotherers and pioneers who moaned endlessly about a drinks company sponsoring the GAA. Makes me regret Guinness riding off on the zeitgeist and getting behind rugby.

We have a huge problem in the GAA. How to accommodate the existence of money around amateur games. How to promote those games so there is a sufficient inflow of money to secure the future of those games.

We just don't know what to do. We have men worrying their lives away in Croke Park about other men getting paid to coach our games in clubs and counties, while elsewhere in the same stadium we have players receiving sums of €1,000 and up from sponsors just to utter complete banalities at dreary little press conferences. They do this after photo opportunities which involve the players getting into their county jerseys and smiling vacantly at the camera as they join in the tricky task of holding a football. God help us.

Why is the Gael so allergic to hype?

Why is he so embarrassed by and afraid of it. Why is it beyond the powers of WikiLeaks to extract even team line-ups for Sunday games, let alone decent feature interviews.

Why has every GAA player who has been a bit different, a bit more individual (Jayo, Ciarán McDonald, Seán Óg, Paul Galvin, Donal Óg, Johnny Pilkington) been subject to suspicion and often hostility.

There's not one in that list who couldn't have been a brilliant selling point for the games they played. How can we have fellas such as Eddie Brennan and Michael Kavanagh walking about the place in almost complete anonymity when they have seven All-Ireland medals won on the field of play? Why has RTÉ got no GAA magazine on its TV schedule?

Look at Brian O'Driscoll. You can't but.

Every ad break now there he is bursting into a public toilet and asking lads if they are up for it, surprising innocents at the hand basin with his challenge to sample the glide over the old tug and pull. Nothing George Michael about it. Pure Drico. Keeps the brand up there. Keeps rugby out there.

The GAA has to decide how it is going to get through the next decade and how it is going to cope with the challenge from rugby.

In fairness, the GAA is good at this sort of thing and if it comes to the game late it will at least come with a coherent game plan.

In a competition between the GAA and the cockroach I'd bet my money on the GAA surviving further into a nuclear winter, but it's time to get moving. One suspects, though, that as the world crumbles around us the GAA has to do something boldly counterintuitive. To spend some money and make a bit of noise.

The four instalments of Dublin's Spring Series will be a fascinating study in the potential of the games. Somebody with a brain and a large set of carraigs has come up with the novel idea of making the National League fun. Making it an event. Double-headers and cramming good entertainment into the gap between the games. And keeping the costs down to keep the foot fall high.

It deserves to succeed for so many reasons.

For Vodafone, whose commercial, narrated by Seán Boylan, has been the best GAA promotion of the last five years. For Allianz, who have stuck with a competition which all too often has been treated with disdain by those playing and organising it.

For the Dublin County Board, who have put a whole lot on the line. For those parents who will never be able to bring their kids to an event in the Aviva.

For those Dublin fans who need to prove that they aren't a migratory species.

And for the GAA which needs to get past its suspicion of hype. The men who gathered in the billiard room in Hayes Hotel won't spin in their graves if the GAA goes out and hustles.

Personally, I love all that stuff. Did you know that in the early days of baseball massive Bull Durham (tobacco) signs were a feature of every ball park. So immense were they that they created a nice shaded area where relief pitchers would go to warm up. Which led to the creation of the term bullpen for the area in which pitchers warm up. Which kept the Bull Durham thing alive in the popular imagination right through till 1988 when Ron Shelton made a low-budget film called Bull Durham which made enough money to earn a breakthrough for the sport on the big screen.

There followed a whole slew of movies (Stealing Home, Field of Dreams, Major League, Mr Baseball, The Fan, Hardball, Fever Pitch, Perfect Game, Rookie of the Year, to name a small fraction) which for free re-enforced baseball's place in the American consciousness. (Where is the great movie or novel in Irish life which reflects how deeply ingrained our games are to our sense of ourselves?)

There is talk (exciting for me anyway) that Vodafone are looking at promotions to add to the sense of occasion in Croke Park through the Spring Series. Great stuff.

One of the joys of American sport is the hustle. People catapulting free T-shirts up into the stands. The One Million Dollar Supershot at basketball games. Best Seat in the House promotions where the winner and friend get to sit in large armchairs with serfs bringing free food all during the next game.

Minor league basketball fans were once invited to make a paper plane from the centerpages of their game programme (each one had its unique serial number) and to throw the airplane down in the hope of getting it through the sun roof of a car. The winner got to keep the car. I've seen Madison Square Garden or United Centre go crazy in the final quarter of a dull, one-sided game because everybody is going to get a free slice of pizza if the home side wins by 20 points or more.

In the years which we call BC (Before Cowell), American sports were holding sportscaster contests to find the new Marty Morrissey. Imagine contestants commentating on the mini league half-time games and advancing by means of popular acclaim to commentate against winners from other counties. It could actually be, ehm, fun.

From Barnum to Tex Rickard to Ali and beyond, pro sport has always sought to be fun, always looked to create a sense of the mythical, always hustled to get the punter through the turnstile, the kid into little leagues. Just because the GAA is an amateur body is no excuse for po-faced abstinence, no reason not to take the public imagination by the collar.

The next few weeks are a step in the right direction. Rugby has raised the bar.

The GAA has to find its confidence, get down to the fairground and start barking.

Jinxy

I hate that word 'hype'.
Conjures up images of annoying PA announcers, crap music being played after every score, fireworks etc.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Bord na Mona man

He has some good points.
Hopefully the Dublin ticket packages for the league will prove a success and get the ball rolling on greater innovation.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Jinxy on February 07, 2011, 06:51:45 PM
I hate that word 'hype'.
Conjures up images of annoying PA announcers, crap music being played after every score, fireworks etc.
Last time the GAA used fireworks it was a roaring success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLRS8w5ehfk

Hardy

Yeh - that's what we need - turn football and hurling into strictly come dancing. Does nobody understand that the reason American sports have to keep forcing the fans to enjoy themselves whether they like it or not  is because nothing much is happening on the field for nearly all of the eight-or-so hours it takes to complete a game? Does he seriously expect GAA crowds to spend their time firing paper aeroplanes at a car while Seán Cavanagh is rampaging through the Dublin defence or Galvin is poking his finger up Noel O'eary's nose?

Jinxy

I was at that fireworks display and it was amazing.
I'm against the the fireworks plus presentation in the middle of the field type of thing after a game.

Jinxy

Quote from: Hardy on February 07, 2011, 07:30:06 PM
Yeh - that's what we need - turn football and hurling into strictly come dancing. Does nobody understand that the reason American sports have to keep forcing the fans to enjoy themselves whether they like it or not  is because nothing much is happening on the field for nearly all of the eight-or-so hours it takes to complete a game? Does he seriously expect GAA crowds to spend their time firing paper aeroplanes at a car while Seán Cavanagh is rampaging through the Dublin defence or Galvin is poking his finger up Noel O'eary's nose?

Exactly.
Soccer needs chants.
Rugby needs obnoxious PA announcers.
American football and baseball needs beer and food.
All because there are lengthy periods where sweet f**k all is happening.
There's always something happening in gaelic football and hurling so the GAA doesn't need to browbeat patrons with any of this nonsense.
I don't care how many ABC1's it would attract.

Eamonnca1

Yeh - that's what we need - turn football and hurling into strictly come dancing.

Not quite what he's suggesting now, is it? He's suggesting that a bit of marketing and hype would do the GAA no harm at all, particularly since the rugby crowd are using it to good effect and gaining a lot of traction as a result. You can ignore the competition all you want and declare "we don't need that crap," but that doesn't change the fact that the country's native sports are still played in almost clandestine fashion with little or no media coverage compared to soccer from across the water.

INDIANA

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 07, 2011, 06:55:57 PM
He has some good points.
Hopefully the Dublin ticket packages for the league will prove a success and get the ball rolling on greater innovation.

What The Summer Series will prove is the bullshit surrounding "Rugby being the heartbeat of the Nation".

DuffleKing

There is middle ground here. Noone wants the plastic shite that surrounds american sports but we can do much better with selling our games and players. It will be ever more important to do so in the next five years. We need every young lad and lassie idolizing king henry and daniel goulding - not just GAA hotbeds within ther own county.

I welcome the Dubs' initiative and a positive step and we need more imagination in packaging the national league in particular and our pricing policies.

What are all there full time officers within counties doing? I know we have a marketing dept in croke because i've heard some lassie on the radio telling me, but it's performance is an embarrassment

Zulu

Quote from: Jinxy on February 07, 2011, 07:34:53 PM

Exactly.
Soccer needs chants.
There's always something happening in gaelic football and hurling so the GAA doesn't need to browbeat patrons with any of this nonsense.

Talk about missing the point entirely. There have been plenty of forgettable hurling and football games and nobody is suggesting that we need to do American style promotions during the games but we can do alot to promote the games beforehand and increase the entertainment level during the game (i.e. half-time etc.). We need to remember that not everyone is like those of us posting here who will enjoy challenge matches in the winter. We also need to attract those who aren't GAA diehards since other sports are eating into GAA heartlands.

Hardy

Quote from: Zulu on February 07, 2011, 10:50:16 PM

Exactly.
Soccer needs chants.

... nobody is suggesting that we need to do American style promotions during the games ...
Well it seems to me that that's exactly what Tom Humphries is suggesting.

Bogball XV

what sort of ticket numbers have the dubs sold for the croker series?

Zulu

Quote from: Hardy on February 07, 2011, 11:06:46 PM
Quote from: Zulu on February 07, 2011, 10:50:16 PM

Exactly.
Soccer needs chants.

... nobody is suggesting that we need to do American style promotions during the games ...
Well it seems to me that that's exactly what Tom Humphries is suggesting.

Where does he do that? I think he was just highlighting the efforts other sports put in to bring in punters.

Quotewhat sort of ticket numbers have the dubs sold for the croker series?

Flying out the door apparently.

Puckoon

I think there is a little - a little - merit in what Humphries has to say here. A few of the things implemented in American sports could add a little spark to some of the GAA events throughout the year. No denying that some of the stuff trotted out at American Sports events is nauseating nonsense - but a few little things like throwing out the rolled up t-shirts to the crowd; a bit of craic at half time with some eejit on the pitch kicking points for a pair of boots, or a night in a hotel or something; or even simple things like local resturaunts and business teaming up with ticket sales to put coupons on the back sides of tickets for the games are all small enough ideas that definitely would do little harm to the games.