AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on February 10, 2011, 04:35:11 PM
Mayo (v NUI Galway, McHale Park, Friday):
Robert Hennelly
Cathal Hallinan, David Killeen, Chris Barrett
Lee Keegan, Keith Higgins, Ruadiri O'Connor
Barry Moran, Tom Parsons
Aidan Campbell, Andy Moran (Capt.), Andrew Farrell
Enda Varley, Aidan Kilcoyne, Mark Ronaldson.

Subs: Kenneth O'Malley, Alan Feeney, Ger Cafferkey, Eoghan Reilly, Richie Feeney, James Burke, Jason Gibbons, James Moran, Cathal Freeman, Cillian O'Connor.

Very interesting team, still experimental, nice mix, good balance.
Keith Higgins could do Ok CB... 

Cosmo Kramer

Barry Moran out before throw in - picked up an injury as usual.

Tom Parsons ruled ineligible to play as he was nominated by Sligo IT as one of their players in this competition and therefore cannot play for Mayo. Perhaps Sligonian might find some poetic justice in there somewhere.

McGarrity and Gibbons play midfield instead.

Peadar Gardiner has scored the first point of the night...for Maughan's shower.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Cosmo Kramer

Level at 0-5 each mid way through the first half. Kilcoyne, Ronaldson (2) and Andy Moran (2) scored for Mayo.

Cosmo Kramer

Half time:

Mayo 0-7 NUIG 0-7

Mayo scorers for Mayo

Ronaldson 0-3
Moran 0-2
Kilcoyne 0-1
Varley 0-1 (has since gone off injured, replaced by Cathal Freeman)

Mayo scorers for the NUIGees

Doherty 0-2
Gardiner 0-1

Doherty would be well worth a look in a couple of league games.

Cosmo Kramer

Half way through second half:

Mayo 1-11 NUIG 0-9

Mayo scorers for Mayo

Kilcoyne 1-2
Ronaldson 0-5
Moran 0-2
Varley 0-1
Farrell 0-1

Doherty 0-3
Gardiner 0-1

Mayo subs on: C Freeman, J Moran, A Feeney and J Burke for Varley, McGarrity, Hallinan and R O'Connor.

spuds

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Cosmo Kramer

Ag an deireadh:

Mayo 1-14 NUIG 0-11

Mayo scorers for Mayo

Ronaldson 0-6
Kilcoyne 1-3
Moran 0-2
Varley 0-1
Farrell 0-1
Campbell 0-1

Doherty 0-5
Gardiner 0-2

Mayo subs used: C Freeman, J Moran, A Feeney, J Burke and R Feeney for Varley, McGarrity, Hallinan, R O'Connor and Keegan.

Mayo win the eastern conference and proceed to the FBD world series final in the fall.

Lar Naparka

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Cosmo Kramer

mannix

Good man cosmo, it sounds like Jason Doherty should get a look in the league.  Incidentally how tall are ronaldson,Doherty and Alan Freeman?

spuds

Quote from: mannix on February 11, 2011, 09:25:08 PM
Good man cosmo, it sounds like Jason Doherty should get a look in the league.  Incidentally how tall are ronaldson,Doherty and Alan Freeman?

guess Alan Freeman  6'2"  Ronaldson 5'8"  Doherty 5'9"
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

ross4life

Sounds like NUIG had a similar 2nd to us Vs Mayo? after his pitiful performance in managing us any defeat for the tanned one is a good one.

Diffcult job for Horan ahead finding the right balance but for tonight Well done Mayo.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

Hard to get a handle on tonight's game to be honest. Some around thought it a good contest but I just couldn't get into it. There were a nice few points taken from play but a lot of the stuff seemed aimless enough. Likes of Gardiner, Andy Moran, Alan Dillon and Keith Higgins could go up gears when they felt like it. Jason Gibbons was very impressive. He is a quality player. Ronaldson as usual in these games does the business.The other Freeman also showed quality as a sub  even though the game had no structure. I would expect that a lot of the Mayo subs were disappointed with the game because most of the second half was dead time and I expect that a lot of decent players may not have done enough to be kept on.
The Mayo lads on the NUIG team -apart from Gardiner and Dillon - would hardly have impressed Horan. Jason Doherty might be a different prospect on a summer pitch of course. A makeshift Mayo back line coped easily with an ordinary enough forward line.
We appeared to have good options a month ago and maybe we still have. But the Down game showed up a few things and tonight maybe a few things more.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on February 12, 2011, 12:34:35 AM

Hard to get a handle on tonight's game to be honest. Some around thought it a good contest but I just couldn't get into it. There were a nice few points taken from play but a lot of the stuff seemed aimless enough. Likes of Gardiner, Andy Moran, Alan Dillon and Keith Higgins could go up gears when they felt like it. Jason Gibbons was very impressive. He is a quality player. Ronaldson as usual in these games does the business.The other Freeman also showed quality as a sub  even though the game had no structure. I would expect that a lot of the Mayo subs were disappointed with the game because most of the second half was dead time and I expect that a lot of decent players may not have done enough to be kept on.
The Mayo lads on the NUIG team -apart from Gardiner and Dillon - would hardly have impressed Horan. Jason Doherty might be a different prospect on a summer pitch of course. A makeshift Mayo back line coped easily with an ordinary enough forward line.
We appeared to have good options a month ago and maybe we still have. But the Down game showed up a few things and tonight maybe a few things more.

I'd agree with pretty much all of that. It was a dead-rubber contest. Played at an incredibly lax pace. I agree too on Jason Gibbons. Definitely a promising player. One slight criticism. He is a good long range kicker of the ball but he is a bit to quick to play that option, sometimes when it is not on. I'm not sure what exactly you refer to in your last line Moysider. I'm not sure could much be shown up in that game, apart from some of the option taking by the forwards which, hopefully, is only a minor thing.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 12, 2011, 05:44:06 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 12, 2011, 12:34:35 AM

I'd agree with pretty much all of that. It was a dead-rubber contest. Played at an incredibly lax pace. I agree too on Jason Gibbons. Definitely a promising player. One slight criticism. He is a good long range kicker of the ball but he is a bit to quick to play that option, sometimes when it is not on. I'm not sure what exactly you refer to in your last line Moysider. I'm not sure could much be shown up in that game, apart from some of the option taking by the forwards which, hopefully, is only a minor thing.

Just thinking out loud I suppose. But having seen the few games so for I would be happier about how things are going at the back and in midfield than in the forwards. Having watched the whole Down game again I m convinced we should have won it with a few points to spare once we got back level with about 12 mins left and practically in control. We were all happy with the draw but that game was there to be won. And we would have done so with no more effort, but just a bit of composure and a bit more class in the inside forward line. If roles were reversed the Down forwards would have killed us. So far Andy, Dillon and Freeman have impressed,and Ronaldson too to be honest. For me the rest of the forwards in the squad have a bit to do in one way or another. We have to get an 11 and a 14. Time is on our side anyway. We all know there are some good lads who are forwards in the squad but realistically are they as good as as those Cork, Kerry, and Tyrone will be starting? Maybe somebody will come along in the next few months and put their hand up like Alan Freeman did last year. I think we need to unearth another quality forward before the championship. Out of those currently in the squad I would be looking seriously at Cathal Freeman but not as a corner man.