w**ker bankers..?

Started by lawnseed, February 03, 2011, 09:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

switched my mortgage recently and so far i simply cannot get the arsehole bank of ireland to pay out my monthly payment. so far they have refused 2 direct debits (2 months) and two attempts at paying by debit card (there is plenty of money in the account).
i have phoned them i have been in the bank which was very hot tempered >:( >:( they say they have no record of the debit being refused but then when i arrive home theyve sent me a letter to inform me that they have refused a direct debit attempt to draw money from my mortgage company!!
  is anyone else having this trouble from this bank it seems very strange to me. i had to post a cheque for two payments today and the mortgage co are talking about admin charges :o
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

muppet

Keep everything documented including dates and times of calls and your visits.

Make a complaint to one of the below links and you should not be out of pocket:

http://www.financialombudsman.ie/
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/
MWWSI 2017

lawnseed

muppet i had all my dates, times, and names of the people i've been speaking to when i went to the bank, they keep blaming the mortgage company. the problem with BOI is that you cannot actually phone your branch you get put through to a central call centre. you have to leave work, they are very sloppy. who is the best bank? my brother left BOI and went to ulster bank he reckons they're a lot better but my nearest branch is 8 miles away. i cant understand why they are turning down the debit card attempts to pay. getting sick of this ready the burn the bond holder
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Hardy

I'll give the manager a call in the morning and sort you out. I own this bank.

David McKeown

I was giving two of my cousins a lift earlier in Belfast, the two were going shopping for a formal dress for the youngers formal.  About 5 minutes into the journey the younger cousin (who is 18) asked me why her bank card might have been declined last night by both a bar and a cash machine, even though she knew she had a fair bit of money in her account.  I advised her she contact the bank to find out. She subsequently phoned her local Ulster Bank and was told that someone had accidentally put £1000 into her account in November and that the bank had decided they were taking it back and that they were going to do so immediately.  My cousin was very surprised by this because she had always assumed but never checked that the money in her account was the result of some combination of her EMA which is paid once per term or her overtime in work or money deposited by her parents. As her formal is coming up soon, my cousin told the bank she wasnt in a position to authorise the £1000 reduction because it would leave her in the red but that she would agree to repayment plan if the money was put in, in error.  The bank refused this request and immediately took the money.

The poor girl was distraught and phoned her dad who advised her to phone up and complain which she did, at 5pm my cousin got a phone call back from the bank and the following conversation (possibly not word for word but along these general lines) took place (I know as I heard it):

Cousin: I just don't think its fair this is the first Ive heard about it, did you write to me or attempt to phone me?
Bank rep : No we arent obliged to make contact with you so we didn't
Cousin: Thats not very fair, I don't want anything done until I see my bank statements and get in to talk to you
Bank rep : No we are taking the money now and you can come in and talk to us next week.
Cousin:  This really isnt fair you should have least gave me some warning.
Bank Rep: Listen I did this for your own good, the person who put the money is was going to report you to the police for fraud but I talked them out of it.  I told them you couldn't afford to repay the money in one go as you are only 18 and still at school but that wed get it back for them. I told them you clearly hadn't spent it on anything big. This money was supposed to go to Mr X's daughter who is at University in Scotland and needs it but I stood up for you.  If you try and take this any further you may be charged with fraud.  Its not your money and you have to give it back.
Cousin: Oh I will pay it back I dont want to be charged with fraud.
Bank Rep: Very good thank you

Is this how low banks have fallen nowadays that they are harassing young school girls to cover up for their errors.  Over and above this they are even prepared to give out confidential information to third parties when something like this occurs, absolutely scandalous.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Ulick

Hmm... not sure about the legalities of all that. I transferred quite a bit of money into an incorrect account at the start of December (was paying off a loan and was given incorrect account details by the bank). When I rang a few days later to make sure everything went through okay it was discovered the money went to the wrong account. Both banks (Santander and Nationwide) told me there was nothing they could do as the mistake was mine and I would have to contact the account holder myself and ask for the money to be returned. When I insisted it was the fault of Nationwide (after about 5 calls) for giving me the wrong account details and was able to give dates, times and the name of the girl who give me the wrong account number, only then did they contact the account holder on by behalf to notify them of the error. I then had to write a letter to the account holder explaining and apologising and asking them to return the money. Luckily enough, they did so and I received it back a few days ago. The whole way through the process I was led to believe that money could only be retuned by the account holder and the bank couldn't just take it back.

ardal

Pathetic.

How come we all like to complain but do nothing.

Apparently no man is an island, but I disagree. Do you all remember whenEnglish radio / BCC held a vote for the British number one song of all time? Which song one?

From what I can see via this thread, BOI is the big baddie. If you've got an account with them switch banks to Ulster bank and ask all your friends to do the same. I assure you that their behaviour / manners / courtesy will improve almost immediately.

Don't just stand there, do something

David McKeown

Quote from: ardal on January 20, 2012, 08:00:15 PM
Pathetic.

Apparently no man is an island, but I disagree. Do you all remember whenEnglish radio / BCC held a vote for the British number one song of all time? Which song one?

From what I can see via this thread, BOI is the big baddie. If you've got an account with them switch banks to Ulster bank and ask all your friends to do the same. I assure you that their behaviour / manners / courtesy will improve almost immediately.

The bank in my story above was Ulster Bank
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

muppet

Quote from: David McKeown on January 20, 2012, 07:43:59 PM
I was giving two of my cousins a lift earlier in Belfast, the two were going shopping for a formal dress for the youngers formal.  About 5 minutes into the journey the younger cousin (who is 18) asked me why her bank card might have been declined last night by both a bar and a cash machine, even though she knew she had a fair bit of money in her account.  I advised her she contact the bank to find out. She subsequently phoned her local Ulster Bank and was told that someone had accidentally put £1000 into her account in November and that the bank had decided they were taking it back and that they were going to do so immediately.  My cousin was very surprised by this because she had always assumed but never checked that the money in her account was the result of some combination of her EMA which is paid once per term or her overtime in work or money deposited by her parents. As her formal is coming up soon, my cousin told the bank she wasnt in a position to authorise the £1000 reduction because it would leave her in the red but that she would agree to repayment plan if the money was put in, in error.  The bank refused this request and immediately took the money.

The poor girl was distraught and phoned her dad who advised her to phone up and complain which she did, at 5pm my cousin got a phone call back from the bank and the following conversation (possibly not word for word but along these general lines) took place (I know as I heard it):

Cousin: I just don't think its fair this is the first Ive heard about it, did you write to me or attempt to phone me?
Bank rep : No we arent obliged to make contact with you so we didn't
Cousin: Thats not very fair, I don't want anything done until I see my bank statements and get in to talk to you
Bank rep : No we are taking the money now and you can come in and talk to us next week.
Cousin:  This really isnt fair you should have least gave me some warning.
Bank Rep: Listen I did this for your own good, the person who put the money is was going to report you to the police for fraud but I talked them out of it.  I told them you couldn't afford to repay the money in one go as you are only 18 and still at school but that wed get it back for them. I told them you clearly hadn't spent it on anything big. This money was supposed to go to Mr X's daughter who is at University in Scotland and needs it but I stood up for you.  If you try and take this any further you may be charged with fraud.  Its not your money and you have to give it back.
Cousin: Oh I will pay it back I dont want to be charged with fraud.
Bank Rep: Very good thank you

Is this how low banks have fallen nowadays that they are harassing young school girls to cover up for their errors.  Over and above this they are even prepared to give out confidential information to third parties when something like this occurs, absolutely scandalous.

Make an official complaint to your equivalent of the Financial Ombudsman and definitely put something in writing. That sounds rehearsed to me and if by coincidence another similar complaint is made regarding the same person.........
MWWSI 2017

ardal

Quote from: David McKeown on January 20, 2012, 08:07:26 PM
Quote from: ardal on January 20, 2012, 08:00:15 PM
Pathetic.

The bank in my story above was Ulster Bank

Nail head hammer.

We'll spend our energy on arguing about which bank is the worst, or which we should all move over to. If a mass of people move to a client in one go and make said client aware that they can move away again as easily as they arrived, then the client (en masse) has power; more so than the individual

pintsofguinness

Quote from: hardstation on January 20, 2012, 08:13:28 PM
An 18 year old schoolgirl has £1000 put into her bank account by accident and she assumes it is hers.

Aye right. f**king chancer.
Yeah, sorry David, but I agree with HS.  I can't believe most people (especially a 18 year old) wouldn't notice a extra 1k in their account.  I would be on the side of the bank in that one, it's not her money and it is fraud to accept money that's not yours like that.
Although the language used by the bank employee is suspect.   

Btw, it doesn't sound like it was a banking error.

Ulick - I don't understand your situation.   
If you send funds to a wrong account your bank are suppose to get in touch with the bank the funds went to to get them back.  I understand in can be a lengthy process while they exchange correspondence but how the hell would you know who the account holder was? Who give you those details? 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

sammymaguire

I haven't checked my balance in weeks so I would say the lassy was genuine and the bank's policy on this was a joke considering it was a student who was going in to overdraft
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Ulick

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 20, 2012, 08:39:38 PM
Ulick - I don't understand your situation.   
If you send funds to a wrong account your bank are suppose to get in touch with the bank the funds went to to get them back.  I understand in can be a lengthy process while they exchange correspondence but how the hell would you know who the account holder was? Who give you those details?

I was given the correct sort code but an incorrect account number. So the money went to a Nationwide account, just not the account it was supposed to go to. My bank (Santander) told me there was nothing they could do as the money couldn't be recalled after it had left my account and Nationwide (who I had the loan with) originally said they couldn't tell me where the money went and I would have to sit tight to see if the money bounced back into my account. It was only after I gave them the time, date and name of girl who gave me the wrong account details they they traced the account holder, contacted him and passed his name and address to me. After that I had to do all the running and request the money was returned.

fitzroyalty

Seems like a genuine mistake. Surely if she intended any malice she'd withdraw a few big whacks at a go, no?

imtommygunn

It's in no way fraud. The bank are well out of order. A lot of people wouldn't look near their balance for weeks on end.

I wouldn't be sure they can take it straight back like that. It's basically bully tactics to say she's going to be done for fraud. Poor form.