london v kilkenny

Started by paddymcg115, February 03, 2011, 12:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddymcg115

Can anyone out there get me the phone number of Ruislip club or someone who will be at the match between London and Kilkenny on sunday. I would like to keep up with the latest scores. Or even failing that would it be on a local London radio station? Yours in anticipation.

mannix

i wonder what kind of footballer plays with kilkenny? do they train hard or really care? or is it a case of curiosity for a club hurler that would like to see what county level looks like. I know the great DJ played football for them one day against wexford.
the beatings they get from carlow and the likes makes me wonder.

John Martin

I'm planning on heading to the match on Sunday.

I'll put up the scores at half time and fulltime if ya want.

Shamrock Shore

Dedication. Remeber Roy Castle used to sing this song at the end of each Record Breakers show on the BBC.

London v KIlkenny won't get many a pulse racing, but I salute those that make the effort to get there or tune in.

Sadly this year (as opposed to previous years) there won't be a 'weekend of it' when Longford travel to Ruislip. Flying in and out on the Sunday to save money.

For shame  >:(

irunthev

I played against Kilkenny the very first time London played them in the League in 1993. The game was in Nowlan Park and there were exactly 23 people there - one of our subs counted them.

We won that game but I also played on London teams that were beaten by Kilkenny and one that drew with them. :-\

Not in London any more but it will be a difficult enough game for them as it is their first outing of any description this year, whereas at least Kilkenny will have had two games under their belt.

Croí na hÉireann

If the wife ever finds out that she'll get a trip to London if we get relegated to Division 4 she'll start throwing stones at our lads.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

paddymcg115

Many thanks to John Martin. Are you going to post the half time score on this forum or what?

John Martin

Yeah I'll try to, not sure what the reception will be like in Ruislip but I'll give it a go.

Milltown Row2

Fair play to Kilkenny, many give off about the effort they put into Football, no different than Letrim to both codes and Donegal/Cavan/Monaghan/Slgo to hurling
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: mannix on February 03, 2011, 01:47:50 PM
i wonder what kind of footballer plays with kilkenny? do they train hard or really care? or is it a case of curiosity for a club hurler that would like to see what county level looks like. I know the great DJ played football for them one day against wexford.
the beatings they get from carlow and the likes makes me wonder.

could make for an interesting book or documentary that!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2011, 11:23:42 PM
Fair play to Kilkenny, many give off about the effort they put into Football, no different than Letrim to both codes and Donegal/Cavan/Monaghan/Slgo to hurling

I take it you're stirring but for the record Leitrim/Donegal/Cavan/Monaghan/Slgo all enter teams into their respective hurling championships whereas Kilkenny don't even make a fist of the qualifiers, shameful IMO, one of my bugbears.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

lynchbhoy

from recollection I was told that there are a few footballing areas in kilkeny - mostly north on the border of carlow and laois.
the county doesnt encourage football.
there is football but its the complete reverse of most of the counties we know where hurling fixtures are pushed back to accomodate football.
I knew a few lads from kilkenny that played football.

have heard/read that such kilkenny stars like pat oneill, DJ carey and more whose names I cannot remember all played football and for the county team when they had time. But as much as they liked football , these dual players first allegience was to hurling.

I think a country fixtures plan, plus county level club fixtures plan would go a long way to stop the dual star row.
someone has to have the gumption and desire to take this and create such a template !

paddymcg115

John what time is London game at on sunday?

gallsman

I've been a fan of Kilkenny hurling for as long as I remember and was brought to Croker to see them from the days you were still able to sit on your da's lap.

However, as a fan of the GAA in general, the disregard shown for football down there is a disgrace. And I'm not even fussed on football!

MR, that Leitrim comment was fantastic.

ross4life

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

A bit unfair on leitrim whom have a tiny population with a big emigration they are a football county with huge passion but are fighting a unfair balance

for me there Connacht title in 1994 was one of greatest GAA achievements i've seen.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open