Jailed for stealing a £10 pair of jeans.....

Started by Groucho, February 03, 2011, 10:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groucho

I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

Denn Forever

Quote from: tyrone girl on February 03, 2011, 11:33:54 AM
Tend to agree with Hardstation on this. She shouldnt be stealing and she told lies the whole way to the Court instead of admitting it. Whats she stealing jeans about? Ya play with fire ya get burnt end of story and before anyone starts about my car misdemenours i have paid for them!

She would have got a job as Irish Finance minister so.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

balladmaker

QuoteI think the sentence handed out here is ludicrous.   

If it had been £10 worth of food, then I would be more likely to agree with you but jeans were hardly critical to her survival.  Tough.

It's the child I feel sorry for.

saffron sam2

Quote from: tyrone girl on February 03, 2011, 11:33:54 AM
Tend to agree with Hardstation on this. She shouldnt be stealing and she told lies the whole way to the Court instead of admitting it. Whats she stealing jeans about? Ya play with fire ya get burnt end of story and before anyone starts about my car misdemenours i have paid for them!

Hypocrite. The £10 is a whole lot less than you would have defrauded the exchequer of with your red diesel etc.

Punishment doesn't fit the crime here.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

thewobbler

I really doubt that the punishment was related to this isolated case.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: thewobbler on February 03, 2011, 11:57:11 AM
I really doubt that the punishment was related to this isolated case.

Its her first offence Wobbler. She has effectively been punished for electing for a Crown Court trial before a jury and Crown Court judge and therefore wasting taxpayers money. Its still a very very harsh sentence, would have been a £100 fine in most Magistrates Court
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Olly

Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

theskull1

The original post suggested that the sentence was ludicrous. I don't think he needed anyone to tell him that what she done was wrong in the first place.

Heres something very relevant to this topic (considering the responses). Well worth 15 minutes of your life
http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_ariely_on_our_buggy_moral_code.html

It was ludicrous

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

nrico2006

Very harsh considering there is people out there who physically hurt other individuals and avoid jail completely, or even kill someone and get a few months more.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Banana Man

she stole the jean from a 'supertramp' store - how apt

Hereiam

Not one bit sorry for her. She had plenty of chances to hand them back and didn't. As said before it the wee child u feel sorry for.

TacadoirArdMhacha

At the end of the day if everybody is sent to prison for a first time theft of £10, they may build 2 or 3 new prisons.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Tony Baloney

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on February 03, 2011, 01:02:20 PM
At the end of the day if everybody is sent to prison for a first time theft of £10, they may build 2 or 3 new prisons in Derry.

Sandino

She has had a tougher call than these two lads.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8367073.stm

A dirty dig at Strabane from someone from Fintona.

And Tyrone Girl you paid because you were caught.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Groucho

So for some on here, THEFT is OK, as long as it's from the Exchequer ::)

There are far worse people before the courts.
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me