NFL Division 3 2011

Started by Croí na hÉireann, January 31, 2011, 03:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

PP & Ladbrokes have the teams to win in this order (odds are PP)

Limerick    3/1
Louth    7/2
Westmeath    4/1
Offaly    5/1
Wexford    7/1
Cavan    8/1
Tipperary    8/1
Waterford    20/1

Boylesports is similar except for the Biffos squeezing us down to 4th. Prob would have Tipp higher myself and Limerick normally don't go that well in the league. This will be quite a competitive division, wouldn't be surprised if there was still 5 teams vying for promotion on the last day. Fixtures this weekend are:

Round 1

Offaly V Cavan
Time: 2 30 PM, Venue: O Connor Park, Tullamore

Wexford V Waterford
Time: 2 30 PM, Venue: Wexford Park

Louth V Westmeath
Time: 2 30 PM, Venue: Drogheda

Tipperary V Limerick
Time: 2 30 PM, Venue: Semple Stadium, Thurles

Couldn't have picked a tougher start to our campaign than a trip to Drogheda. Our first visit there since Rory O'Connell ruled the skies in the O'Byrne Cup in 05, hope the pitch has improved since then. Think we'll have to crowd midfield this time to counter our shortcomings/Keenan. Will Fitzer be plámásing at the gate?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Zulu

Waterford are the value bet in this division, I don't think they'll win it but at 20/1 they are far more value than anyone else. As CnahE said, this division should be close but how the bookies have a Waterford team that should have won division 4 on at least 2 occasions in the past three years at 20/1 is beyond me. I reckon Wexford should be relegation favourites and will find this division tough. Limerick are rightly favourites to win it and will want to get into division 2. However some of their main players are getting on and that may mean that they will try to find replacements for the future, especially with a new management.

Tipp will finish mid table I reckon, Cavan, Offaly and Wexford will battle it out for survival, while Waterford, Westmeath, Louth and Limerick will most likely fight it out for promotion. If I had to chose, I'd go for Louth and Limerick to top the group with Wexford to definitely go down. In saying that, this is always the hardest division to predict.

Lone Shark

I'd widely agree with all of what Zulu said there. I don't think Limerick are briliiant by any stretch of the imagination, but they do have four home games and two of their away fixtures are in familiar Munster venues. They're entitled to favouritism.

I thought Westmeath would be too depleted but they have a great manager in Pat Flanagan and they do have some good young players coming back in from college teams. It'll be interesting to see if Heslin is able for intercounty midfield but he does look like quite the monster.

Louth are decent but I'm not totally convinced either - I'd put them in with Cavan, as a dangerous team who I'd probably mark out for top half, but I don't think they'll get into the top section.

Wexford won't win two games away from Wexford Park and might struggle to replenish what is an ageing panel, while Offaly are shocking value at those odds. We haven't won an away game in this division in two years and this year we've to go to Waterford, Louth, Limerick and Westmeath. Tipperary are okay but I think teams have them figured out, while I agree that Waterford are huge value.

People forget that the last two winners of this league were Sligo and Tipperary - both of whom were big outsiders, and going from 4 to 3 and into 2 has been done. I've backed them anyway.

mylestheslasher

I think cavan might go ok in this league but they would need to be gettin a win against offaly. Form of our experimental mckenna cup team was decent and Andrews always had the team in good shape for the league in his previous reign. Those odds look decent to me.

Jinxy

The Cavan lads have been training since August so they should be flying fit.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maguire01

Quote from: Jinxy on January 31, 2011, 11:07:04 PM
:D

Croí na hÉireann

While Waterford do represent value, if I'm being honest I can only see top two coming from Limerick, Louth and Westmeath. Limerick are probably rightly in pole position as Lucey and Mark O'Riordan are returning and as has been said they have four home games, where they are dragging teams out to Newcastlewest apart from Cavan oddly. Louth have four home games as well but more importantly two of them games are against ourselves and Limerick. While we've lost a handful of experienced players over the winter I still think we can put it up to the two favourites. We've got four games at home as well for the first time since 2007, the fitness and conditioning levels looked good in the O'Byrne Cup and we've got loads to come back from the colleges. Midfield is a problem with Duffy out but I'd expect Heslin to go straight in there and make an impact, he did quite well against some inter county midfielders in the Dublin championship for UCD. If we can win all our home games and a result away to one of the big two we should have done enough to get promoted. Vital we get our first win on the board though after the last two disastrous campaigns and it couldn't come much tougher than away to a high flying Louth, roll on Sunday.

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 01, 2011, 12:24:49 PM
Midfield is a problem with Duffy out but I'd expect Heslin to go straight in there and make an impact, he did quite well against some inter county midfielders in the Dublin championship for UCD.

I think you'll see the u-21 players used quite sparingly in the league, as long as they remain in the Leinster u-21.  Flanagan stated a few months ago that winning the Leinster u-21 is a huge priority. They are going well and dominating midfield in all their challenges, which is hardly surprising.  Midfield is an issue alright, although Corroon will be another option avialable now (was with NUIG in FBD league).

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shark on February 01, 2011, 06:23:04 PM
Midfield is a problem with Duffy out but I'd expect Heslin to go straight in there and make an impact, he did quite well against some inter county midfielders in the Dublin championship for UCD.

I think you'll see the u-21 players used quite sparingly in the league, as long as they remain in the Leinster u-21.  Flanagan stated a few months ago that winning the Leinster u-21 is a huge priority. They are going well and dominating midfield in all their challenges, which is hardly surprising.  Midfield is an issue alright, although Corroon will be another option avialable now (was with NUIG in FBD league).

Was referring to Sunday against Louth, obviously I don't expect to see him or any of the U21s playing senior the week(s) before the midweek U21 championship (will be interesting to see how the midweek games work out). Who else apart from Corroon and Lynam isn't available for the U21s this year? Is Darragh Daly partnering Heslin in the U21 challenges?

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 02, 2011, 09:55:28 AM

Was referring to Sunday against Louth, obviously I don't expect to see him or any of the U21s playing senior the week(s) before the midweek U21 championship (will be interesting to see how the midweek games work out). Who else apart from Corroon and Lynam isn't available for the U21s this year? Is Darragh Daly partnering Heslin in the U21 challenges?

Lynam is still U21. Of those who featured last year Corroon, Darren Quinn, Doyle, Sharry, Durkan, Smyth and Mescall are the only ones I can think of that are overage. John Egan still recovering from cruciate injury too.  Daly is actually playing at wing-forward as they are effectively playing with 3 midfielders.  David Keenan from Kilbeggan is the other midfielder.  They beat Galway last week in their most recent challenge.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shark on February 02, 2011, 11:11:31 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 02, 2011, 09:55:28 AM

Lynam is still U21. Of those who featured last year Corroon, Darren Quinn, Doyle, Sharry, Durkan, Smyth and Mescall are the only ones I can think of that are overage. John Egan still recovering from cruciate injury too.  Daly is actually playing at wing-forward as they are effectively playing with 3 midfielders.  David Keenan from Kilbeggan is the other midfielder.  They beat Galway last week in their most recent challenge.

Could have sworn Lynam was overage this year, good news though, hopefully Flanagan plays him inside this year. Shame about Smyth, should have got more game time last year. Still a very strong team, has Ian Coffey been lining out?

shark

Don't think coffey is involved unfortunately. But I'm not 100% sure what his situation is.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 31, 2011, 11:16:10 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on January 31, 2011, 11:07:04 PM
:D
Ah Yeah, a right pair of smart fellas
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

mylestheslasher

Anyone going to stick up their predictions...

Offaly V Cavan
Cavan by 1 or 2

Wexford V Waterford
Wexford by 3 or more

Louth V Westmeath
Louth narrow victory

Tipperary V Limerick
Limerick by a couple of points

tommysmith

Offaly V Cavan

Wexford V Waterford

Louth V Westmeath