NFL Division 4 2011

Started by Rossfan, January 30, 2011, 08:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

If Longford and Carlow win their next game - they could be heading for a winner takes all in the last game, nice to see Carlow starting to turn things around.
#newbridgeornowhere

ross4life

Quote from: Qwerty28 on March 25, 2011, 08:04:31 PM
Any word on when Leitrim London game has been refixed for?

17th April, 3 wins for Leitrim=promotion

Quote from: irunthev on March 27, 2011, 01:29:11 PM
How's Conor Beirne doing now that he is back with Roscommon? I see he has made a few  substitute appearances.

He started a few FBD games & did alright he should get starts in the next two games will be interesting to see will he make the Championship panel.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

stevecw

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 28, 2011, 03:55:38 PM
If Longford and Carlow win their next game - they could be heading for a winner takes all in the last game, nice to see Carlow starting to turn things around.

Wouldn't really say we have turned things around. By all accounts Leitrim were hopeless yesterday. We were just a bit better. We still are a poor side, even though we have improved a bit with a few decent younger players coming thru from good underage sides which is helping.

We should win next week again as we have London at home, which will make it 4 wins in a row for us..which must be 1st time that has happened in years!!

Even if we somehow did beat Longford away in last game, we still need Clare to take a least a point off Wicklow in Aughrim due to the scoring difference, which is highly unlikely.

Extremely slim chance of promotion, but good to see a bit of an improvement before championship. Still have Brendan Murphy to come back from injury before then which will be a huge boost.

Dinny Breen

QuoteWouldn't really say we have turned things around. By all accounts Leitrim were hopeless yesterday. We were just a bit better. We still are a poor side, even though we have improved a bit with a few decent younger players coming thru from good underage sides which is helping.

No offence Stevecw but that kind of negativity annoys the sh*t out of me, as stated you are a young side and could be going to Longford looking for a win that coupled with a decent score against London could get you promoted. Extoll the positive lad, building blocks, it was only 2 seasons ago that only NY and London were ranked below you.
#newbridgeornowhere

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

stevecw

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 28, 2011, 04:54:03 PM
QuoteWouldn't really say we have turned things around. By all accounts Leitrim were hopeless yesterday. We were just a bit better. We still are a poor side, even though we have improved a bit with a few decent younger players coming thru from good underage sides which is helping.

No offence Stevecw but that kind of negativity annoys the sh*t out of me, as stated you are a young side and could be going to Longford looking for a win that coupled with a decent score against London could get you promoted. Extoll the positive lad, building blocks, it was only 2 seasons ago that only NY and London were ranked below you.

Fair enough, but when you are a Carlow supporter it is hard not to be negative!! It's built into us after so many years of failure!
We are getting a bit better, thanks to these young lads coming along. In a year or 2 if they stay around and we get a good manager in to bring us on, we probably will be a decent Div 3 side capable of getting to a Leinster semi, which for us would be great.

Just for now, it was a great win yesterday...i wasn't at the match as I went to watch our hurlers, but some of my family & mates went up and said Carlow were bad, but Leitrim were just hopeless. Said it was a bad standard match between 2 poor sides. I can only go by what they said, if that makes me negative then fair enough.

I'm trying not to be negative, but a realist. We are better than we have been for last couple of years, and I'm delighted to see that....but still will take a year or 2 before we can really expect to be good enough to get promoted. We still are a Div 4 standard side for now.

This for us has already been a good league, drawing with Wicklow, beating Clare & Leitrim..the last 2 without our star man Brendan Murphy. It's progress for sure, and we will beat London Sunday. So if we can beat Longford too it will be some momentum to take into the Louth championship game after 5 wins in a row.

Dinny Breen

Much better Stevecw, that was a realist post but none of the negativity. There's a good buzz in the Carlow camp at the moment and these young players shouldn't be burdened with the failures of the past. In fairness that isn't a Carlow it's an Irish thing we seem to be very negative towards failure and instead of trying to pick lads up we just run them down more.
#newbridgeornowhere

Gold

C'mon Carlow!

I'd love to see you's get promoted
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Qwerty28

Maybe next year for Carlow!!

Luckily Longfords last two games are at home, should be strong enough to win both. Have a pretty good recent record against Leitrim and hopefully if we beat them that we'd have enough to get past Carlow to take 2nd spot and a showdown with the Rossies!

Beard

Quote from: ross4life on March 28, 2011, 05:01:01 PM
Good piece from Eugene McGee on yesterday's Leitrim v Carlow game.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/eugene-mcgee/eugene-mcgee-high-prices-hitting-crowds-2596950.html

Very good article, a couple of paragraphs I liked....

"Now these are matters that should be possible to rectify in training, but I find that players in weaker counties rarely manage to make such basic improvements to their game"

"Even Division 4 teams use the mass defence nowadays, which looks silly in terms of their overall ability, and Division 4 forwards rarely require such crowding of extra defenders. But it is in fashion with the big boys, so the rest follow like sheep"

I hate the way coaches of crap teams often refuse to work on the basics in favour of stupid copy cat tactics. Football is a simple game and if you are not willing to put in the hard graft and improve your skill level you shouldn't be playing.

Gold

Saw Longford in Brewster Park this year. Wing half back with the under armour and white boots was the classiest player on show, noone could lay a hand on him he was dancing round players. The midfielder who come on for you that night before half time caught some ball and your full forward Paddy (forget surname) with the curly hair put in some shift out the field in 1st half then tortured Owens when in at 14 for 2nd half. You's should,ve got few more than the one goal that night. Altho Fermanagh were awful i thought Longford looked good that night and should get promoted. They missed some scores though that night and that could come back to haunt them in last few games.

How many years has Paul Barden been playin now?

Wouldnt mind a night out in PVs it's been too long!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Rossfan

Last sunday was an enjoyable but nerve wracking day out among the Wicklow hills as we clinched promotion in all but name.
Good performances by our forwards hinted at perhaps some good days to come when the sun is high and the days are long but we have major defensive problems.
As I see it we  have very few natural instinctive defenders , plenty of attacking half back types alright . Also too many small men.
However we are getting out of the D4 backwaters thankfully so let's take each positive as it comes along.
Leitrim and Longford were brought down to earth with 2 bangs last Sunday and the second promotion spot is still mathemmatically there for 3 or 4 teams.
I'd fancy Longford to sneak it but it's still all to play for.
Apologies to stevecw but I thought Carlow were the worst team I'd seen Ros play against ( from Ireland anyway) and I would ask ye to for God's sake say goodbye to Lukeen and get a local man ( amayeur !!) in. 
Nice visiting you Div 4 but farewell for ever I hope . :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Yes we have concerns with our defence with the championship just around the corner especially at FB & Ward is not the answer! on Sunday Seanie furlong gave him the run around scoring 1-8 & setting up 1-1 (2-9 of their 2-16)

Don't get me wrong i think Ward is a decent player but he reminds me of John Whyte (exposed in the centre better on the wings)

As for Carlow i was also at that game rossfan & would agree but TBH it was a bad at the office for them & we had plenty of those days over the years.

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on March 29, 2011, 04:30:12 PM
As for Carlow i was also at that game rossfan & would agree but TBH it was a bad at the office for them & we had plenty of those days over the years.

Remember the 2008 disasters in Crossmaglen and Parnell Park, not to mention Castlebar 09. :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Quote from: Rossfan on March 29, 2011, 06:21:53 PM
Quote from: ross4life on March 29, 2011, 04:30:12 PM

Remember the 2008 disasters in Crossmaglen and Parnell Park, not to mention Castlebar 09. :-\

I do indeed Carlow have a bit to go before they reach those low levels.