Div 1 Mayo v Down Official Thread

Started by Barney, January 30, 2011, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: Oldhacker on February 02, 2011, 10:49:09 PM
As a law-abiding nordie, I will of course observe all the limits. If an anonymous acquaintance cruised down the motorway sections of the route at a steadyish 80 mph, might he hit Castlebar in around two and a half hours from the M50 ?

Well an anonymous acquaintance of mine makes it from Citywest to Ballintubber (6 miles the far side of C'bar) in around 2h45m on a Friday evening after work. So yeah, 2.5hrs shouldn't be far wrong.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

muppet

As a law-abiding nordie, I will of course observe all the limits. If an anonymous acquaintance cruised down the motorway sections of the route at a steadyish 80 mph, might he hit Castlebar in around two and a half hours from the M50 ?

He might, as long as he knew how to scale fort Longford and didn't pick up a bad delay there. The pitch is just beyond the first roundabout at Castlebar (you could drive around the roundabout and point the car at Dublin, park there and walk the short distance to the ground). If it is a smallish crowd you could park the other side of the roundabout.
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2011, 10:55:43 PM

He might, as long as he knew how to scale fort Longford and didn't pick up a bad delay there. The pitch is just beyond the first roundabout at Castlebar (you could drive around the roundabout and point the car at Dublin, park there and walk the short distance to the ground). If it is a smallish crowd you could park the other side of the roundabout.

The stretch from Ballaghadereen to Strokestown and around Longford town have had me near to severe outbursts of road-rage.
National primary road my arse!
But enjoy the drive west Oldhacker  :D
Sure come down Friday and make a weekend of it (we need the tourism).

LikeItOrNot

In reference to the last few years panels, where has Kieran Conroy disapeared to? Also Liam OMalley is on the senior Panel since 02 or 03. A decent servant of Mayo football. Had his bad days but also had some great days. Have the just dropped him without a trial? Is there anyone else missing?

Davitt Man

My understanding is that mayo panel is just for the Down game and not the whole league campaign, so lads are obviously out injured at the moment the likes of O'Se, kilcoyne etc

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: moysider on February 02, 2011, 08:40:07 PM
Quote from: Chimley on February 02, 2011, 04:27:35 PM
Burke and Barrett left out too. With a few injured to come back it looks we will have a lot of disappointed young men in a few weeks time.

Burke pulled up injured in Ballinamore so that maybe explains that. It would be very disappointing if he was overlooked and some of the others included. Cathal Freeman I would expect to be in the 30. Anybody got an explanation for Kilcoyne, though it wouldn't be too surprising if he were not in it?

I'd expect Kilcoyne to be in the starting 6 come championship, our best forward in 2009 and a proven scorer, if he stays out of injury of course.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 03, 2011, 12:29:12 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 02, 2011, 08:40:07 PM
Quote from: Chimley on February 02, 2011, 04:27:35 PM
Burke and Barrett left out too. With a few injured to come back it looks we will have a lot of disappointed young men in a few weeks time.

Burke pulled up injured in Ballinamore so that maybe explains that. It would be very disappointing if he was overlooked and some of the others included. Cathal Freeman I would expect to be in the 30. Anybody got an explanation for Kilcoyne, though it wouldn't be too surprising if he were not in it?

I'd expect Kilcoyne to be in the starting 6 come championship, our best forward in 2009 and a proven scorer, if he stays out of injury of course.

Maybe so. Anyway I was talking about this game. The bit I saw of him last few weeks was not his best form. Shooting on sight and very wayward shooting. 

western exile

Quote from: Davitt Man on February 03, 2011, 11:57:29 AM
My understanding is that mayo panel is just for the Down game and not the whole league campaign, so lads are obviously out injured at the moment the likes of O'Se, kilcoyne etc
I don't think so.  My understanding is that every county must name a panel of no more than 30 for the League, and not play anyone outside of those during the campaign.  Of course, a different 30 can be named for the Connacht Championship when the time comes

Tubberman

Quote from: western exile on February 03, 2011, 01:09:20 PM
I don't think so.  My understanding is that every county must name a panel of no more than 30 for the League, and not play anyone outside of those during the campaign.  Of course, a different 30 can be named for the Connacht Championship when the time comes

Not sure about that. Dillon and Mort came back from their travels last year towards the end of the league. Were two places reserved for them in last years panel?

the Deel Rover

i think the panel of 30 was something Johno set up for the championship .I'm pretty sure you can play who ever you wan't during the league .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

western exile

Quote from: the Deel Rover on February 03, 2011, 01:49:33 PM

i think the panel of 30 was something Johno set up for the championship .I'm pretty sure you can play who ever you wan't during the league .
Where are you getting that from?  Was there not an uproar a few years ago when HQ wanted to reduce the squad size down to 26?  That implies to me that the rule comes from Croke Park.  Can anyone confirm?
The GAA  have never been good at making the regulations readily available   >:(

PAULD123

Does anyone know which turnstile to use for the Mayo vs Down game for season ticket holders?

Davitt Man

This was the notification released by the PRO.....

A Chara,

Please find attached the Mayo team and panel for the upcoming Allianz Football League match against last years All-Ireland Finalists Down. The match will be played this coming Saturday 5th February at 7.30p.m. in the first ever Fooball League Match to be played under lights in McHale Park.

Regards,

Aiden McLoughlin
PRO Mayo G.A.A.

muppet

Quote from: LikeItOrNot on February 03, 2011, 11:52:04 AM
In reference to the last few years panels, where has Kieran Conroy disapeared to? Also Liam OMalley is on the senior Panel since 02 or 03. A decent servant of Mayo football. Had his bad days but also had some great days. Have the just dropped him without a trial? Is there anyone else missing?

Not sure about Conroy but Liam O'Malley is injured.
MWWSI 2017

Cosmo Kramer

Ciaran Conroy has been playing for NUIG so I guess he's available but has not been selected. With a fair few new players coming through this year I'd suggest that him and Liam O'Malley might be two that have to make way for some fresh blood.

I think the 26 man issue was in relation to individual match day squads, I don't think teams were restricted to the same 26 players for the whole league. Theres a 26 man game by game limitation but nothing that says it must always be the same 26 AFAIK.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100