Div 1 Mayo v Down Official Thread

Started by Barney, January 30, 2011, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

i have good time for Douglas i think long term he could well be a sterter for mayo as im sure will C o'Connor .
I Prefer to see A oSe out a bit from goal  as he has loads of pace Its just the first step or so can see him tied up a bit and he can look ver akward at full forward.
Cafferkey has beena a disaster for Mayo ,I would have a list of 5 or 6 players to try out iat Full back before id give him another shot. the Guy has hands of stone . and ging him an exteded run has not helped matters
As for ronaldson he is the best footnaller nayo have at present and is capable of making a star out of any half decent inside forward
no Joke abbeysider there were other name id love to fit in there but only 15 can be chosen my subs would be Kilcullen , vaughan, dillion C freeman varley lee keegan. Jason Doherty's 3-3 would suggest he worh a look.

abbeysider, who in particular would do you want to start a row about
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Banana Man

jeysus down's injury list is a long one going by the irish news today, McCartan, Rafferty, Duffin, rodgers, Garvey, McArdle, Rooney and Liam Lennon all out

downredblack

McComiskey - Injured ?
Colgan -  Suspended

Banana Man

seen on hoganstand mccomisky is meant to be injured

never heard about colgan, i know they were to appeal it but never heard anything more, be lucky to have 15 out at this stage

fitzroyalty

Brick Tamlin

yeah id be inclined to lump on Mayo. It really will be a depleted Down team travelling down there. Might see some strange positional shuffling to plug a few holes.
If Down come out of there with anything other than a defeat id be suprised. Who knows, maybe the firepower up front might do damage but if Mayo are serious this year they would want to put away an experimental Down side.

downredblack

Has big King had an outing this year at all ?

Banana Man

Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 01, 2011, 04:10:46 PM
Lump on Mayo then?

would agree with brick, put the house and all it's negative equity on mayo to win... what's the odds anyway?

SHEEDY

Quote from: Banana Man on February 01, 2011, 04:42:27 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 01, 2011, 04:10:46 PM
Lump on Mayo then?

would agree with brick, put the house and all it's negative equity on mayo to win... what's the odds anyway?
cant agree with that at all. LUMP ON are you having a laugh. think you'd have to make mayo slight favs but if down can break even at midfield theyll have more than enough up front to put mayo away.
nil satis nisi optimum

Farrandeelin

Ah hey, Down for all their injuries are still way ahead of us as regards team selection etc. I'm sure James McCartan has his game-plan ingrained into his team whereas Mayo have only played against GMIT, Roscommon (who didn't bother to play with 20 mins left) and Leitrim (who didn't bother to play at all). Oh yes, they got to the All-Ireland final last year too so should be too experienced for this Mayo team who are in major transition.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dubh driocht

With two teams facing challenges this is a big game for survival. Down went off like a rocket in Newbridge last year but unlikely to see that on Saturday. Mayo also got some good early results but stuttered towards the end and were poor against Cork in the final.
The Down defensive selection will be fun but Mayo don't have the quality of Benny, Marty and Danny- Down by 2.

whitegoodman

Downs defence selection will indeed be fun, pick out the hat job at that this stage. 

If down can break even at midfield they have a good chance but i fear that with the defence so short and the enthusiasm the mayo boys will be playing with under a new manager as well as home advantage will take them home with a few points to spare.

I think we have more than enough to stay in the division if we can get some of our defenders back with 3 winnable home games. 

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 01, 2011, 08:10:19 PM
Ah hey, Down for all their injuries are still way ahead of us as regards team selection etc. I'm sure James McCartan has his game-plan ingrained into his team whereas Mayo have only played against GMIT, Roscommon (who didn't bother to play with 20 mins left) and Leitrim (who didn't bother to play at all). Oh yes, they got to the All-Ireland final last year too so should be too experienced for this Mayo team who are in major transition.

It s no fluke that Mayo have managed to stay reasonably comfortably in Div 1 all these years. I expect it to stay that way. From what I have seen so far we are ahead of last year when we finished in the last 2 standing. Down had a great run last summer but they have to do it all again now starting at a higher level. As well as that coaches know their players inside out now and they may find it tough enough.

Cosmo Kramer

Sounds like Parsons and AOS are back in the Mayo fold after colleges duty and in with a shout for some game time this weekend. Parsons has the game but he needs to be willing to add a bit of drive and fight for the dirty ball around midfield this year. Hopefully AOS is over his second season syndrome and has shaped up a bit, he didn't kick on last season at all.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

moysider

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on February 01, 2011, 10:52:48 PM
Sounds like Parsons and AOS are back in the Mayo fold after colleges duty and in with a shout for some game time this weekend. Parsons has the game but he needs to be willing to add a bit of drive and fight for the dirty ball around midfield this year. Hopefully AOS is over his second season syndrome and has shaped up a bit, he didn't kick on last season at all.

Good stuff. Players with reserves of ability. Horan's problem is how and where to play all these guys. Because the average Mayo fan will want all the names they recognise on the team sheet and to hell with the rest of it. What to do? It s not bad place to be in if he holds his nerve. And instead of cramming individuals into a team, he comes up with tactics and shape and has these guys willing and able to slot in when needed.