Armagh v Dublin - NFL 05/02/11

Started by bennydorano, January 30, 2011, 06:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: illdecide on February 07, 2011, 12:09:35 PM
Quote from: BerfArmagh on February 07, 2011, 12:02:27 PM
have to say I don't see what the attraction is with Dyas, someone suggested playing in the HF line come championship WTF???? I have yet to see him play well for Armagh

I think he's over rated myself and what has he achieved in club football to warrant a call up. A spell in Aussie Rules seems to be enough, he may well be a lot better than i think but i haven't seen it yet
I think most people remember the Dyas that inspired the Abbey, he has yet to reach those heights with the county, but injury has hammpered his development. He deserves a little more time. I personnally don't see what Paul Diffy has to offer and although a defender of Moriarty in the past (pardon the pun) I thought he was way off on Saturday.

bennydorano

Quote from: heffo on February 07, 2011, 03:54:52 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 07, 2011, 03:43:22 PM
What ever happened the Dublin player Davoran??, break a leg or something? No sign of a return?  Think he gave Cross an awful time of it in a club game a few years back

Did his cruciate on his championship debut v Meath two years ago - he was back running and light training for Crokes late spring last year and came on for the last ten minutes of a challenge game and did it again the first time he turned for a ball.

He'll hopefully be back playing club football before the summer.
Tough luck there, what age of a fella is he, time on his side?

heffo

He'd be early twenties - 23/24 maybe

PatDaly

Anyone care to comment on Brian Mallon's performance? Why does he continually make the starting 15? What exactly did he contribute to the team on Saturday night?

ardchieftain

Was great to be back in our spiritual home, pity we didn't get the result to put the icing on the evening.

There are a few Armagh players who have had one orr two chances too many. Time for some ruthless management decisions methinks. We're getting there though.

Dublin should give sam a right good rattle this year. Gilroy has done a brilliant job.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: PatDaly on February 07, 2011, 06:53:50 PM
Anyone care to comment on Brian Mallon's performance? Why does he continually make the starting 15? What exactly did he contribute to the team on Saturday night?
I could ask you the same of a number of your Dromintee clubmen. And not just on Sat night but in general. Did you see Mallon v Down in McKenna Cup?

All of a Sludden

Quote from: heffo on February 07, 2011, 01:46:34 PM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on February 03, 2011, 11:19:03 PM
Few of us going to go up to see the dubs get tanked.

How did ye get on?

Ended up watching it on TV, it wasnt an evening for the neutral. I thought Armagh would have raised their game for the opening of the refurbed Athletic Grounds. Have to say the Dubs looked good.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

deargdoom

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 07, 2011, 04:10:10 PM
I personnally don't see what Paul Diffy has to offer and although a defender of Moriarty in the past (pardon the pun) I thought he was way off on Saturday.

Couldn't disagree more, Duffy was one of the few consistant players for Armagh throughout the league and championship last year. Not the best out and out defender, but when his defence abilities are coupled with his strength going forward then he certainly has a lot to offer (especially with the state of the half forward line last year). And as for Finn Mo, first competitive match in the best part of 5 months after playing most of the championship with an injury, after being imo Armagh's best player of the league. Didn't think he was that far off the mark anyway, a bit rusty but so was McKeever and McDonnell. Got forward a couple of times, provided a few good balls to the forward line and had a good intercept too. Personally, Duffy and Moriarty would be two of the first names on my team-sheet.

Applesisapples

Quote from: deargdoom on February 08, 2011, 01:00:25 AM
I personnally don't see what Paul Diffy has to offer and although a defender of Moriarty in the past (pardon the pun) I thought he was way off on Saturday.

Couldn't disagree more, Duffy was one of the few consistant players for Armagh throughout the league and championship last year. Not the best out and out defender, but when his defence abilities are coupled with his strength going forward then he certainly has a lot to offer (especially with the state of the half forward line last year). And as for Finn Mo, first competitive match in the best part of 5 months after playing most of the championship with an injury, after being imo Armagh's best player of the league. Didn't think he was that far off the mark anyway, a bit rusty but so was McKeever and McDonnell. Got forward a couple of times, provided a few good balls to the forward line and had a good intercept too. Personally, Duffy and Moriarty would be two of the first names on my team-sheet.
As I said in my opinion I don't see what Duffy offers I've been watching him for a couple of years now, would take your point on Mo though as I said a bit disappointing I suppose given that he's just back from honeymoon he's bound to be a bit of the pace.

thewanderer

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 08, 2011, 04:05:55 PM

As I said in my opinion I don't see what Duffy offers I've been watching him for a couple of years now, would take your point on Mo though as I said a bit disappointing I suppose given that he's just back from honeymoon he's bound to be a bit of the pace.
apples u seem to have tinted glasses when it comes to duffy. by far armaghs best player last year and certainly in the top 4 on saturday night. where is there a better wing half back in the county. catch a grip u seem to be on the wrong game here, duffy is a very good player.

Armaghtothebone

have to say I don't see what the attraction is with Dyas, someone suggested playing in the HF line come championship WTF???? I have yet to see him play well for Armagh

I think he's over rated myself and what has he achieved in club football to warrant a call up. A spell in Aussie Rules seems to be enough, he may well be a lot better than i think but i haven't seen it yet

The lad has just come back from a serious injury. In each game he has played that i have seen he has not lookked out of place at all. He seldom wastes a ball and the ball he sends in to the forwards is good ball.What do you want from him?

crossfire

Quote from: thewanderer on February 08, 2011, 05:05:01 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on February 08, 2011, 04:05:55 PM

apples u seem to have tinted glasses when it comes to duffy. by far armaghs best player last year and certainly in the top 4 on saturday night. where is there a better wing half back in the county. catch a grip u seem to be on the wrong game here, duffy is a very good player.

Cross is full of them. ;)

INDIANA

Quote from: illdecide on February 07, 2011, 10:49:12 AM
Some players have been tried by Joe Kernan, Peter McDonnell and now POR. Is it going to take another 3 managers to work out these lad's are not going to make it, Jesus H can we not bring in a few young lads and get them a year or two's experience on the panel and see what they're made of instead of trying lads who have had their chance and have failed...

Dublin are training twice a day and were def sharper and fitter but you have to ask yourself why they are doing that type of training in Jan/Feb? Will they peak too soon? will they have fatigue in July/Aug? If Armagh start to peak in summer I'll be happy enough, we are not that far off as people think. Jamie and Ronan Clarke in the forwards, Hearty in nets and another few Crossmaglen men and we'll be a lot stronger. Don't forget lads on Sat night we had 3 or 4 players playing their first action of the new year and were no way expected to be anywhere near the level of the rest of the lads.

To leave on a negative note POR and his puppet are not the men to lead Armagh

Don't believe everything you read about the twice a day thing.

We didn't fatigue last year.

I think you've a fair bit to go. Staying in Div 1 would be a good league for Armagh in my view. Armagh certainly are developing a good spine of a team

David McKeown

What really impressed me on Saturday was the speed with which Armagh moved the ball at times particularly in the first half. Looked like a new tactic for the year and Id be interested in seeing if it continued particularly into the Summer when it could become more effective
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Applesisapples

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on February 08, 2011, 09:05:53 PM

The lad has just come back from a serious injury. In each game he has played that i have seen he has not lookked out of place at all. He seldom wastes a ball and the ball he sends in to the forwards is good ball.What do you want from him?

All about opinions I disagree, good going forward but shaky in defence and with none of AK's vision or playmaking skills.