Laois' Kelly career cut short

Started by Declan, January 26, 2011, 02:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Laois' Tom Kelly has been forced to retire from football due to the neck injury he sustained last year.

The centre-back broke a bone in his neck while playing for St Joseph's and although he has recovered from the injury, he has been warned it would be dangerous to continue playing.

Kelly said in The Independent: 'I've been told never to play again because it would be too dangerous. I'm only 31. To think I'll never play football again is tough to swallow.'

Kelly was part of the Laois team that won the Leinster title in 2003, ending a 57-year wait, while he also won an All-Star that year.

He was also part of the Ireland International Rules team from 2003-2006

Jesus that is tough - Best of luck to him

heffo

Fine footballer & a lovely guy as well.

Wish him the best in his retirement.

orangeman

Being young, fast, fit, strong,determined and hungry enough must make it very hard to make the decision to retire.

Kelly was a great example. Fantastic  footballer and hard as nails.

Canalman

A smashing footballer and tough as teak.  Really admired him. For what it's worth I wish him well in the future.

imtommygunn

Had he quit county?

I mind a few years back there was a thing on the sunday game where he'd got married a week previous to a qualifier against Derry and delayed the honeymoon. They did interviews with the missus and had the camera on her the whole game.

He was a good player.

Was he a twin? I think he'd a twin who was a great minor (great left foot if I mind right) but never realy transferred that into senior.

Rossfan

Wasn't Kelly the man who fell like he was shot and had a Kildare player sent off in a Leinster Final ( 2003?)?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Rossfan on January 26, 2011, 03:44:20 PM
Wasn't Kelly the man who fell like he was shot and had a Kildare player sent off in a Leinster Final ( 2003?)?

That would be him alright. Alan Barry was the Kildare player, Micko lost a few Kildare friends over that as well with his sideline antics encouraging the ref to send him off..
#newbridgeornowhere

Hardy

It's great form, OK to remember a single indiscretion in a distinguished career on an occasion like this. 

A fine player. Best of luck to him.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 26, 2011, 03:51:06 PM

That would be him alright. Alan Barry was the Kildare player, Micko lost a few Kildare friends over that as well with his sideline antics encouraging the ref to send him off..

;)

Only kidding!

Fine player. Probably won't be too fondly remembered here in the Shortgrass for the incident mentioned but all the Laois folk I know would view that as a compliment.

Mick Wright and Kevin Fitzpatrick (I think???) also very harshly sent off in that Leinster Final.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jinxy

The irony.
A KILDARE player being sent off because an opposition player feigned injury.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on January 26, 2011, 04:23:02 PM

The irony.

Examples?
#newbridgeornowhere

The Real Laoislad

Great player and a nice fella,was in my class all through secondary school and you could always see he was gonna make it in the game when playing with him for the school,he was also a very good soccer player.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on January 26, 2011, 03:53:42 PM

It's great form, OK to remember a single indiscretion in a distinguished career on an occasion like this. 

A fine player. Best of luck to him.

Says more about Rossfan than Tom Kelly IMO
You'll Never Walk Alone.

All of a Sludden

Great player, won an All Star in 2003. Laois could do with him and a few more like him at the minute. He is a big loss.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 26, 2011, 04:24:07 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on January 26, 2011, 04:23:02 PM

The irony.

Examples?

I'll give you a clue.
M***** L****.
If you were any use you'd be playing.