Tyrone vs Donegal NFL

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, February 25, 2007, 05:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrones own

Fair play to Donegal, came wanting it and got it.
Just wondering where the Board's "Dive" Police are after this game though. ::)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: FermPundit on March 10, 2007, 09:45:26 PM
Donegal are defintely dark horses for ulster this year. back to back league defeats for Tyrone. when was the last time this happened?

I think you know fine the answer to that :D

Tyrone will do better when the likes of McMahon, Jordan, Cavanagh, McGuigan and Mulligan return but still a disappointing show by lads who needed big performances to secure their places on the panel. Like I said earlier MH probably has a better idea now who he will be cutting from the squad. Some positives in the under 21 game though, Mulgrew seemed to have an excellent match.

tyroneman

Just back in from the game and what a night  ???

U-21 were the only bright spots.

For a team beaten big time by Cork the passion and the work ethic still did not seem to be there tonight. As said before Donegal came psyched up and wanted the game much more.

So what to make of it all:

First the refd - and if we are honest he was truly awful - Donegal handled the ball on the ground in the build up to thier first goal - no foul given, Donegal threw the ball on several occasions - no foul given, SON had jersey pulled all night - no foul given, Donegal forwards lay down holding onto Tyrone backs jeresey - free every time

It would be easy to blame the referee for ALL Tyrones problems and that wasn't so.

We were cleaned out in MF - Donnelly has NO future with the Senior panel and Hughes f**ked his chances with that awful attempted clearance which gave the ball away for the first goal. Neither made any dent on the DONegal MF and did little to support the forwards.

Enda at CHF just didn't work. Forwards ran down blind alleys all night (Donegal backs very good has to be said)

Carlin is as headless a chicken as I've seen in along time. Constantly ran in circles or straight into trouble.

Can't say ANY player pulled a shift for Tyrone tonight - all awful from 1-15. Apart maybe from CG.

MH has a lot of work to do just to stay in Div 1.

ClosetotheHarte

I said here after the Cork game that I wasn't too worried about the performance and put it down to a bad day at the office. I also said that I would be more worried if there was a similar show against Donegal - and sadly that's what we got. On top of that Cork were hammered by Dublin!
I wouldn't go writing us off yet and if anybody can turn this situation around its MH, but something's not right at the moment. The team isn't firing at all and I'm wondering why. I know we have Jordan, McGuigan, Cavanagh, Mugsy and McMahon to add to the team that played tonight, plus a few U21s, but we're not playing with any conviction at all. The fight we saw from Tyrone in the 2nd half v Dublin has disappeared.
Is it simply because the back up players aren't as good as we'd first thought? Not many of our players have come out of the last two games with any credit - but the problem looks to be a team thing rather than individual problems. After the great goal from McGinley tonight which should have set us up for a good performance we did very little afterwards.
It makes our next game so important now - isn't it Limerick next? If it is, we'd need to be getting something out of that game with Kerry and Mayo to come afterwards. If we're going to hit a bad spell now's the time for it but we'd need to get things going again soon. Another beating in Limerick wouldn't be good and right now we can't rule it out completely.
I also have to say Donegal played very well and if they can keep that up they'll be a force this year. Hopefully for them its not another false dawn.

never kickt a ball

Saturday, 10 March 22:14 GMT

Donegal stretched their lead at the top of Division 1A of the Alliamz National Football League to four points on Saturday evening as they saw off Ulster rivals Tyrone, while Dublin got their League challenge back on track with a comfortable win over Cork.NFL 1A

Tyrone 1-8 Donegal 2-11
Donegal outplayed and outscored a poor Tyrone side to win the NFL Division 1A clash by 2-11 to 1-08 under the lights at Healy Park on Saturday night.The Tir Conaill Men bossed the midfield and showed far more confidence in their finishing keeping the former All-Ireland champions on the back foot throughout.
Brian McIver's side took the lead with a free in the opening few minutes, but it was Tyrone who looked the more threatening of the two sides in the early exchanges.
Enda McGinley exchanged a neat one-two with a fellow player before opening his body up to strike the ball into the back of the net on the sixth minute to light the scoreboard up with a goal to Tyrone.
Two cynical fouls in the space of two minutes gave Donegal two free kicks in a central position, but only one of those was converted. It did prove to be a catalyst for the visitors, who started to rain long balls into the opposing area.
Donegal got their first goal of the evening when a long shot cracked the upright before descending upon a busy goal-mouth area, but the danger was never cleared and Donegal took advantage by hammering the ball into the back of the net.
By this stage, the visitors were in control and dominating the play. The fat lady was starting to clear her throat even before Tyrone had tried to erect some sort of challenge.
Donegal got their second goal of the night on 39 minutes after some barbaric defending in the Tyrone square left the referee with no choice but to blow in favour of the men with yellow and green jerseys. McFadden slotted in the resulting kick.
They missed the strength and guile of Owen Mulligan, who was suspended for the game. But missing one player is never an excuse for a team to collectively put in a poor performance - then again; Donegal hardly gave them a chance to get going.
http://ni.setanta.com/portal/article/gaa?open&articleid=41363330a6beae308025729a0074e3e3

never kickt a ball

Tyrone 1-08 2-11 Donegal
Donegal maintained their 100 per cent record in Allianz NFL Division 1A by beating Tyrone 2-11 to 1-08 under lights at Healy Park on Saturday night.
Brian McIver's side took an early lead but Enda McGinley netted in the eighth minute to make it 1-1 to 0-2 to Tyrone.

Donegal fought back to lead 1-8 to 0-3 at the break assisted by a goal from substitute Christy Toye on 28 minutes.

Colm McFadden converted a penalty soon after half-time after Brendan Devenney was fouled and Donegal went on to win.

Devenney and Brian Dooher exchanged early points before McFadden popped over a free and then McGinley completed a good move by firing a right foot shot into the net.

Stephen O'Neill, McFadden and Rory Kavanagh all pointed and then Devenney and Kavanagh added further scores to put Donegal ahead once again.

Peter Donnelly replied with a point for Tyrone but Toye took advantage of poor Red Hands defending to score his side's first goal.

Further points by McFadden and Devenney before the interval put Donegal in the driving seat.

Justin McMahon pulled down Devenney to concede the penalty which McFadden dispatched with aplomb.

Mickey Harte's outfit rallied with second half points by O'Neill, Paul Quinn, Davy Harte and Dooher but it was too little, too late.

Ciaran Bonner, Kavanagh and McFadden were the visitors' point scorers after the break.

Tyrone: P McConnell, R McMenamin, C McGinley, M McGee, D Harte, C Gormley, D Carlin, P Donnelly, K Hughes, B Dooher, E McGinley, D Treanor, M Penrose, S O'Neill, C McCullagh.

Donegal : P Durcan, N McGee, P Campbell, K Lacey, P McConigley, B Monaghan, B Dunnion, N Gallagher, K Cassidy, J McLoone, R Kavanagh, B Roper, C McFadden, B Devenney, C Bonner.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6438651.stm

Smokin Joe

Does anyone think that Ricey might be getting a letter through the door from the CDC this week?

bridgegael

when do tyrone expect brian mcguigan to be back playing for them?   we played ardboe yesterday and although mcguigan played the whole game he still seem to be limping abit.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

ONeill

The sky is falling.

No point in repeating what i said on the Tyrone/Cork thread.

Apart from fitness, no positives.

Donegal, well hyped by the media all week to do so, put Tyrone to the sword in impressive fashion.

Finger out Mickey. Cork made you sit up. Donegal confirmed it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

realredhandfan

agreed.  This panel needs to be worked harder. To call for the new guys heads Tyroneman is ridiculous conor and Stevie had their worse games for Tyrone.  C Mc Ginley  and Mc Gee were rubbish again.  Treanor, Rouse, E Mc Ginley were played out of position and jumped around the 2 midfielders and broyuught their men in with them.  This zone was a mess, Hughes made a goal and lost one,  he will improve, but he supported well.   the second goal was given away as well..  The solo run needs banned from Tyrone defenders now.  Its destroying them..

ONeill

As said above, the puzzling aspect of both games has been the lack of fight and conviction - the will and want to burst a gut for the county. It almost points to complacency but sure the soundbites all season have been about the old guard fighting to get their places back! I know I said I wouldn't repeat it...but....the 05 team aren't really being troubled by the newcomers in terms of competition for places. Would Mulgrew, Colm Cavanagh, McCarron etc have made a difference last night? Many of the new heads struggled last night.

Where's redhandfan by the way? Has the Moy gagged him, again? We need his positive outlook!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyroneman

Quote[To call for the new guys heads Tyroneman /quote]

Donnelly and Carlin? Neither of these would be 'new guys' and I would keep Carlin around as cover.. I'd also see the back of Cormac McGinley in a shot though

Hughes - yes - not good enough.

reddgnhand

realredhandfan
No harm to you but K hughes was awful last night just does not have it at county level. Tyrone are losing it on the line. P Donnelly has been on the panel 5 years now. 5 F*****g years now. He's not going to make it, Is never going to make it. I'm from Dungannon but for the life of me what in under F**k  does MH see in D Treanor.     

tyroneman

I agree wholeheartedly. This is the time to make a name for yourself.

Now from what I've seen some like Mulgrew, Cavanagh Jnr, McMahon jnr, McCarron, Rouse and a few others have showed up reaosnably well in places and are worth keeping around.

Others have had thier chance...........P Donnelly, C McGinley, Kel. Hughes and blown it each and every time.

tones81

i agree, but would also add penrose too that list
these players are deadwood...time too get rid of them