Author Topic: Middle East landscape rapidly changing  (Read 92892 times)

seafoid

• View Profile
Re: Middle East landscape rapidly changing
« Reply #1140 on: January 02, 2016, 08:06:13 PM »
Sunni (Wahabi) Saudi Arabia executes a senior Shia (Twelver) cleric for sedition though all I can see was he called for peaceful resistance if oppression of  Shias is not ended.
In unrelated news Shia Iran announces the execution of a number of senior Sunni clerics.

Are the current round of executions attempts at further ratcheting up tensions in the area or justified and legitimate ( based on their respective versions if rule of law)?
That Shia imam was executed pour encourager les autres. Purely political.  One of the provinces richest in oil is majority Shia and no dissent is tolerated.
Lookit

LeoMc

• View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: January 02, 2016, 08:11:57 PM »
Sunni (Wahabi) Saudi Arabia executes a senior Shia (Twelver) cleric for sedition though all I can see was he called for peaceful resistance if oppression of  Shias is not ended.
In unrelated news Shia Iran announces the execution of a number of senior Sunni clerics.

Are the current round of executions attempts at further ratcheting up tensions in the area or justified and legitimate ( based on their respective versions if rule of law)?
That Shia imam was executed pour encourager les autres. Purely political.  One of the provinces richest in oil is majority Shia and no dissent is tolerated.
I got that impression from various articles. I suppose I was asking to see was there another side, what were his crimes? He was allegedly involved in a shootout with police but found no detail for or against?

Were the Iranian executions tit for tat or previously scheduled and just poor timing? What were the Sunnis convicted of? What branch if Sunni?

LeoMc

• View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: January 03, 2016, 07:43:58 PM »

I got that impression from various articles. I suppose I was asking to see was there another side, what were his crimes? He was allegedly involved in a shootout with police but found no detail for or against?

Were the Iranian executions tit for tat or previously scheduled and just poor timing? What were the Sunnis convicted of? What branch if Sunni?
EDIT: the sources detailing the Iranian execution of Sunni clerics are now dead links. It may have been false propaganda.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 03, 2016, 07:48:11 PM »
Iran will respond somehow. All the Shia look towards it for leadership.
I wonder what will happen in the Eastern province of Saudi now . It is majority Shia. The Saudi regime is vile. I suppose they know they will end up on meat hooks.
Lookit

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: January 07, 2020, 11:44:50 PM »
Iran has hit a US airbase in Iraq!

balladmaker

• Irish To The Core!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 08, 2020, 12:24:01 AM »
Iran has hit a US airbase in Iraq!

Here we go!  Donald gets the response he wanted.

Solo_run

• View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 08, 2020, 01:16:09 AM »
World war 3 to be announced tomorrow

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 08, 2020, 04:29:57 AM »
Trump has declined to appear on TV tonight. Probably too busy watching telly to appear on it.

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 08, 2020, 08:09:21 AM »
Was expecting a cyber attack rather than a military attack.

Hopefully this will be the end of it however that is unlikely if there are any US casualties.

MoChara

• View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: January 08, 2020, 09:06:36 AM »

Hopefully this will be the end of it however that is unlikely if there are any US casualties.

No US casualties reported so far, maybe planned so Iran can say they struck back and the US are forced to further retaliate. Hopefully.

OgraAnDun

• View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: January 08, 2020, 09:20:18 AM »

No US casualties reported so far, maybe planned so Iran can say they struck back and the US are forced to further retaliate. Hopefully.

I doubt the US would admit to many/any casualties even if there are any.

MoChara

• View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: January 08, 2020, 09:53:45 AM »

Think there were fore warned to get out of the way anyhow but you're right just like all the Brit soldiers that died in Road Traffic accidents in Germany during the troubles.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: January 08, 2020, 10:11:36 AM »

Think there were fore warned to get out of the way anyhow but you're right just like all the Brit soldiers that died in Road Traffic accidents in Germany during the troubles.

The general thinking is that Iranian GPS guided missiles were hitting parts of this huge base where they knew fatalities would be low to none.

A chance for both sides to save face but you never know what that idiot in the white house will do next.

Iraq now want the US out of their country. I wonder how that will go.......

playwiththewind1st

• View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: January 08, 2020, 10:14:57 AM »
It will go OK, once POTUS has turned the place into a golf course.

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: January 08, 2020, 11:22:16 AM »
A Boeing plane crashes shortly after leaving Tehran en route to Ukraine, killing all 170+ onboard.

Is that just an extraordinary awful coincidence?