External (Network?) Hard Drives

Started by Goats Do Shave, January 24, 2011, 03:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goats Do Shave

Sorry for another topic on these items, but I've browsed through the others (which are 2 years old now!) & I'm hoping for some more advice.

Ok, I'm hoping to get an External Hard Drive filled with goodies to watch via my PS3 (I understand that the PS3 only plays a specific format.)

Is it possible to plug this External drive into a socket in the office. & playback a movie / music to my living room tv via my PS3??

Or do I have to have the drive plugged into the ps3 / or laptop?

I haven't really got a clue. Advice is welcome!

gerry

QuoteOk, I'm hoping to get an External Hard Drive filled with goodies to watch via my PS3 (I understand that the PS3 only plays a specific format.)
you need to format your hard drive to fat32 for the ps3 to pick it up. your hard drive is probably NTFS at the moment

QuoteIs it possible to plug this External drive into a socket in the office. & playback a movie / music to my living room tv via my PS3??
what you mean socket in office

Or do I have to have the drive plugged into the ps3 / or laptop?
thats what i have done

Connect your ps3 to tv and connect your hard drive to ps3, select video on your ps3 screen and your hard drive should show on this. select your film and bobs your uncle.

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

heganboy

DROBO!

I use one of these for non cloud storage, home network and streaming for about the last 2 years. Teh quasi RAID makes it easy to grow and store.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Bogball XV

If your tv is new, you may be able to plug the hard drive directly into the tv and play the content that way.

Archie Mitchell

You can plug it direct into the PS3 providing it is in FAT32 format, PS3 won't recognise NTFS.

Or you can use a program called TVERSITY - http://tversity.com/
This acts as a media server so you add content into a specific folder for this program on your laptop, then as long as your laptop and PS3 are connected to the internet, you can stream the content from the laptop onto the PS3.

Goats Do Shave

gerry - i meant plug socket... although, can you plug them into the router to access them from the ps3 & the laptop?

I'd like to leave it alone once set up, rather than have to connect wires each time I have to back phot's up then want to watch a movie...

mick999

Quote from: heganboy on January 24, 2011, 04:34:22 PM
DROBO!

I use one of these for non cloud storage, home network and streaming for about the last 2 years. Teh quasi RAID makes it easy to grow and store.

Gavan

Hi Heganboy.,

I have been looking for something similar and this looks like one of the best around ..

I had been considering the Iomega 2 TB Home Network Drive, but the Drobo FS seems to be a lot more configurable (and expensive, mind you )

Where did you buy this and what would you recommend as a starter. I think it supports 5 separate hard drives.

Cheers,

Mick

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 25, 2011, 08:11:44 AM
gerry - i meant plug socket... although, can you plug them into the router to access them from the ps3 & the laptop?

I'd like to leave it alone once set up, rather than have to connect wires each time I have to back phot's up then want to watch a movie...

You could buy a NAS box and put a hard drive in this, then connect this to the router and access this from your PS3 as well as any computers which are on the network. Not sure how its possible to access the NAS box from the PS3 but should be simple enough to be able to access from other computers.

heganboy

Quote from: mick999 on January 25, 2011, 10:02:32 AM
[Hi Heganboy.,

I have been looking for something similar and this looks like one of the best around ..

I had been considering the Iomega 2 TB Home Network Drive, but the Drobo FS seems to be a lot more configurable (and expensive, mind you )

Where did you buy this and what would you recommend as a starter. I think it supports 5 separate hard drives.

Cheers,

Mick

I have this one about 3 years now- there is maybe a better- but definitely a cheaper option available to you- I'll post details on that later..
cheers

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Goats Do Shave

Ok, I've polished up on some of the terms.  8)

A Network Hard drive, will plug into the router... (It should be possible to play movies via the ps3 right?)

An External Hard Drive will go into the Laptop/ps3...

Which do you reccomend?

Megaman

when i first got my PS3 i streamed my films directly from my PC to the PS3, i found it fine but had plenty of problems and as i am a lazy fecker hated running up to turn on the PC when i wanted to watch anything.

i know have two portable external hard-drives, one for all my films, tv series etc and one for any software / any large files which dont play on PS3.