Premiership footballers - On another planet?

Started by Orangemac, January 19, 2011, 11:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangemac

With most of us finding things tight at the moment 3 examples this week of the bubble Premiership players live in

1) Robbie Keane - surely he has made enough money by now. He has maybe 3/4 years left at the top. Would he not be happier on 30k a week (surely he could manage?) and playing week in week out at the likes of Birmingham/Fulham?

2) Darren Bent - ok not much between Villa and Sunderland but how much extra is he getting by moving.At least Sunderland have a manager with a bit of cop on.

3) Wayne Bridge - somehow in the week West Ham are laying off stadium and ground staff on £250 a week they can find £90k a week for Wayne Bridge. Would he even be among the best 5 left backs in the league?

If Sky start feeling the pinch as people start cutting back ,will there be a knock on effect for clubs and these crazy salaries?

Tony Baloney

gerry

robbie away again on his travels, this brings his transfer money up to 80 mill

GALAXY: Reports say Robbie Keane close to deal
August, 12, 2011

By Scott French

Irish forward Robbie Keane is closing in on a deal with the Galaxy, ESPN's Shaka Hislop and other media outlets are reporting.

Keane, 31, who is under contract to Tottenham and likely would arrive in a loan deal, played the first half of this year on loan to West Ham United and in 2010 on loan to Celtic. Ireland's captain and all-time goals leader (with 51 in 108 international appearances) also has played for Inter Milan, Liverpool, Leeds United, Coventry City and Wolverhampton.

To make room for Keane, 31, the Galaxy is expected to trade or release striker Juan Pablo Angel, who has scored just three league goals since joining the club in December. Soccer By Ives, a soccer news website, reports that the Galaxy are shopping Keane to other MLS clubs, and that Angel's preference is to return to the East Coast. The Colombian striker played four seasons with New York before coming to L.A.

MLS's summer transfer window closes Sunday at 8:59 p.m. PT, but the league has informed clubs they need to submit paperwork by the end of business Friday to ensure players are approved before the deadline.

MLS teams are allowed no more than three Designated Players, and Keane would join Landon Donovan and David Beckham in the Galaxy's trio.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

laoislad

Best of luck to him if he goes. Ireland's greatest ever striker.
Is Angel the guy who use to play for Villa?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

thewobbler

Orangemac, i've never understood why football fans think that footballers should willingly take a pay cut.

Whether they overpaid or not is a completely different matter. But in what other profession would you expect someone to take a 50% paycut out of 'love'. You're living in fantasy land chap.

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Overthebar!

Fair play to him, if I were in his shoes I would be off to the states too. Can just picture his press conference now

"It's a great move for me. I've supported The Galaxy and dreamt about playing for them since I was a young lad growing up in Dublin"

spuds

Quote from: Overthebar! on August 12, 2011, 11:15:36 PM
Fair play to him, if I were in his shoes I would be off to the states too. Can just picture his press conference now

"It's a great move for me. I've supported The Galaxy and dreamt about playing for them since I was a young lad growing up in Dublin"

Will you stop, no way he can say that amount of words without saying "obviously" 3 times.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thewobbler on August 12, 2011, 11:06:50 PM
Orangemac, i've never understood why football fans think that footballers should willingly take a pay cut.

Whether they overpaid or not is a completely different matter. But in what other profession would you expect someone to take a 50% paycut out of 'love'. You're living in fantasy land chap.
Which flies in the face of the bullshit you hear that they'd play for nothing. I know a couple of people that have voluntarily taken a pay cut to change to a more interesting job because they can afford to. So it's hardly fantasy to expect a player with ambition to take a pay cut from £4 million a year to £2 million a year!

mountainboii

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 12, 2011, 11:28:45 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 12, 2011, 11:06:50 PM

Which flies in the face of the bullshit you hear that they'd play for nothing. I know a couple of people that have voluntarily taken a pay cut to change to a more interesting job because they can afford to. So it's hardly fantasy to expect a player with ambition to take a pay cut from £4 million a year to £2 million a year!

There's your problem there. What has Keane to be ambitious about at this stage in his career? He's acheived everything he's ever going to at club level. It's now all about squeezing the last few £s out before he has to hang up the boots.

thewobbler

Headhunting process in every job:

a: we're a great company and we really want you to work with us.
b: I'm flattered, I really am.
a: we've great plans and you're a major part of them.
b: I like the sound of that.
a: we're far better employers than your current firm.
b: hey, I'm interested, but what is the, you know, remuneration?
a: roughly X per year.
b: X? do you know that I'm on 2X where I am.
a: I'd heard that, but I was kind of hoping you might see the other benefits of leaving.
b: meeting over.

Professional football is a job.

Minder

Apparently Wesley Sneijder wants to leave Inter because they haven't sufficiently strengthened since winning the Champions League in 2010, ambitious young man you may think, but won't drop his salary of €200k per week to give him a chance of joining Utd or City.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

King Kenny

If I werelucky enough and talented enough to be a professional footballer I would do the exact same.  I would try to extract every last penny from my employers during my career as I could.  Anyone here who says they wouldn't do the same is being economical with the truth in my opinion.

laoislad

Quote from: King Kenny on August 12, 2011, 11:59:03 PM
If I werelucky enough and talented enough to be a professional footballer I would do the exact same.  I would try to extract every last penny from my employers during my career as I could.  Anyone here who says they wouldn't do the same is being economical with the truth in my opinion.

I agree.
Btw I think if I had a choice I think I would rather be a professional Golfer than a professional footballer.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.