USA J1 graduate scheme

Started by Massey-135, January 18, 2011, 10:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Massey-135

Bit of help - I've heard about some sort of scheme that allows people from here to go and work in the US for a year (I think), but the catch is you have to do it within a year of graduating. Any of yous know anything more about it? I tried googling but sure I don't even know what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated

boston

Massey

http://www.iicenter.org/services/J1-iwt.htm

Check out the link, you can contact any of the Irish Immigration centres in the main US cities, they can fill you in on the details.

Hope it helps.

Massey-135

Gentleman. Have you used it/have experience of it?

boston

Massey

I haven't used it, although I know that a lot of students have availed of it, it is quite flexible, and will get you into states. I think that the initial term of the visa is for 12 months, although I think that this can be extended to 24 mths. Only problem is that when it expires you have to hit the high road. I would recommend that once you get to the states you can investigate the H1B visa, this is more permanent, and probably the only realistic option for anyone hoping to live in the states long term (Other than marrying a US Citizen), typical term of a H1B is 3 years with 1 extension of 3 years, this requires an employer to sponsor you, it does require you to have a degree and your sponsored employment has to have some relationship to your degree. If you have more specific questions send them to me, I have been through the visa process 6 times, so I am very aware of the various options, and also the pros and cons of them.

Hope it helps.

C

Dont be afraid to call/email the IIC, they can answer specific questions relating to the graduate scheme.

giveherlong

who's going to hit the 45s if you head state-side?

Massey-135

Just going to give this a bump up again. If anyone has used this scheme I'd like to hear how you got on. I've been in touch with the Irish Immigration Centre and they said it's rare that people would have a job sorted before they go out there. You get 90 days from you arrive to get yourself a full time job in your specific field or you have to go home.
Seems like a pretty big risk for me to be taking to go out there on a wing and a prayer in the hope that I might get one.

I've just started trying to contact employers out there, one has said no and the other hasn't responded. It's journalism I work in by the way, and I'd like to go to New York, so if any board members are based in NY it'd be great if you could mention some media outlets that might take someone on. Not knowing anything about the city myself I'm sure there'll be ones I'll miss through my own research. I've tried the Irish Echo and Irish Examiner.

Cheers

dec

Quote from: Massey-135 on June 02, 2011, 03:39:03 PM
Just going to give this a bump up again. If anyone has used this scheme I'd like to hear how you got on. I've been in touch with the Irish Immigration Centre and they said it's rare that people would have a job sorted before they go out there. You get 90 days from you arrive to get yourself a full time job in your specific field or you have to go home.
Seems like a pretty big risk for me to be taking to go out there on a wing and a prayer in the hope that I might get one.

I've just started trying to contact employers out there, one has said no and the other hasn't responded. It's journalism I work in by the way, and I'd like to go to New York, so if any board members are based in NY it'd be great if you could mention some media outlets that might take someone on. Not knowing anything about the city myself I'm sure there'll be ones I'll miss through my own research. I've tried the Irish Echo and Irish Examiner.

Cheers

The Irish Voice is the other New York based Irish newspaper