Facebook - a penny for your thoughts.......

Started by J OGorman, January 18, 2011, 01:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

It's a load of shit and I deactivated my account before Christmas. If anyone needs to contact me they can do so via email or phone.

ONeill

I want to do that but I have a few people I cannot lose contact with as I know I would if it was just by phone/email.

Doogie, I've wrestled a lot lately with what you've just stated. Things don't normally annoy me - I take my approach from Pyrrho.

Anyway, the need for people to do the following irked me - wanting everyone know where they are and who they're with. I just cannot understand why there is a need to do that. Is it for people to write 'perfect' or 'jealous'? If i'm tagged in something I remove it. I know I should detach myself from feeling like that as it has nothing to do with me but I find myself looking at it knowing it's going to annoy me more. They're not doing anything wrong. It just annoys the dung outta me and I don't know why.

So:

1) Why do people write up those location/company updates?
2) Why does it irk me?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

sammymaguire

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2012, 04:42:53 PM
It's a load of shit and I deactivated my account before Christmas. If anyone needs to contact me they can do so via email or phone.

Why hate Facebook but love here so much?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Doogie Browser

Quote from: sammymaguire on January 04, 2012, 05:21:41 PM

Similar mediums alright but the anonymity I guess?  I like FB and do spend a lot of time on it (moreso than on here) but it does take over some peoples life and that is sad/unhealthy.

Eamonnca1

Some people use FB to show a really ugly side of themselves, namely the political side. I once deleted a fella who posted some hate-filled rants about Obama after he was elected and couldn't take it when people commented on them. "I didn't invite you to comment on it" he says. "Yes you did" says I, "you posted it on Facebook!"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: sammymaguire on January 04, 2012, 05:21:41 PM

Used for entirely different purposes. I didn't actively post on Facebook and didn't "Friend" anyone that I communicate with regularly eg work colleagues, friends or family. It was more of a tool for keeping in touch with people I used to go to school with (half a lifetime ago!), work with or was friends with at college. Was good to keep in touch and if we need communicate directly now they know where to find me.

Like the chaps above I couldn't stomach the "I've just been necking tequila slammers with Bill Gates" attention seeking, or the inane "I've just had smoked venison" as was posted on the wife's account today...

Well spotted muppet ;)

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2012, 07:20:47 PM
Like the chaps above I couldn't stomach the "I've just been necking tequila slammers with Bill Gates"attention seeking or the inane "I've just had smoked venison" as was posted on the wofe's account today...

It might be along time before you neck tequila, or have smoked venison, if she sees that!
MWWSI 2017

Captain Obvious

What's the shelf life of Facebook another year or so? not so long ago Bebo,Myspace was a must have.

Puckoon

Jesus there's some serious indepth analysis of the social irrelevancies of others going on in here.

I suppose its all relative. I too don't enjoy seeing blatant examples of some of the gripes that you chaps seem to have going on. That said - I'm sure people have read a status update, or a check in of my own and applied the same criteria - when in actual fact it couldn't be farther from my intention.

I think there is a fair degree of transparency when you look at the tendency of many serial facebook posters - you can generally see their angle and agenda. Mine is just having a bit-o-craic and relatively little thought would go into it.

Like yer man from Fintona there - I'd try very hard not to accept a friend request from someone I thought I'd have reason to de-friend down the line - but if there is one thing I cannot stand on that site - it is the "I just deleted 100 people" facebook status update. Or the "I feel like my world has ended" updates.

Anyway, I like that you can steal peoples photos now with relative ease on the iPhone. Especially after they go to Burning Man...

Puckoon

Have yet to get around to buying said material.

ONeill

Quote from: Puckoon on January 04, 2012, 08:07:29 PM
Jesus there's some serious indepth analysis of the social irrelevancies of others going on in here.

I suppose its all relative. I too don't enjoy seeing blatant examples of some of the gripes that you chaps seem to have going on. That said - I'm sure people have read a status update, or a check in of my own and applied the same criteria - when in actual fact it couldn't be farther from my intention.

I think there is a fair degree of transparency when you look at the tendency of many serial facebook posters - you can generally see their angle and agenda. Mine is just having a bit-o-craic and relatively little thought would go into it.

I'm more into why I'm reacting the way I do to some of the postings. I just checked and relatively few of the people I have as friends irk me in that way. It's more when I see the wife's account and what goes on there with the 'my world is perfect right now' posts when you know they're most likely off their head on anti-depressants. I know the easy option is to not look at it. I was just wondering why the need to post those things and why I cannot just ignore it and let people be who they want to be.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on January 04, 2012, 09:11:30 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on January 04, 2012, 08:07:29 PM

I'm more into why I'm reacting the way I do to some of the postings. I just checked and relatively few of the people I have as friends irk me in that way. It's more when I see the wife's account and what goes on there with the 'my world is perfect right now' posts when you know they're most likely off their head on anti-depressants. I know the easy option is to not look at it. I was just wondering why the need to post those things and why I cannot just ignore it and let people be who they want to be.
They're the problem, not you. Always believe that!

Puckoon

Well I mean if most of the posts are from women - it's the most simplest explanation - right?

I will hazard a guess that you can't ignore it because you know deep down that this isn't people being "who they want to be". Much of it is false* - a projection of what people actually want to be, or be seen as - rather than people being who they actually are.

* the stereotypes and posts listed in the earlier reply, that is.

ONeill

Quote from: Puckoon on January 04, 2012, 09:22:21 PM
Well I mean if most of the posts are from women - it's the most simplest explanation - right?

I will hazard a guess that you can't ignore it because you know deep down that this isn't people being "who they want to be". Much of it is false* - a projection of what people actually want to be, or be seen as - rather than people being who they actually are.

* the stereotypes and posts listed in the earlier reply, that is.

Spot on with everything there. It doesn't keep me awake at night but it was just a phenomenon I couldn't completely work out.

Each to their own I suppose.