Red or Dead?

Started by Tony Baloney, January 16, 2011, 09:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Any using or seriously considering using red diesel in the near future?

Currently on the red.
6 (13.3%)
Considering it if the prices keep rising.
14 (31.1%)
Law abiding citizen.
25 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 45

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: ONeill on January 17, 2011, 01:04:23 AM
Quote from: Hardy on January 17, 2011, 01:00:12 AM
Sorry, I've blundered in here by mistake. Don't mind me. Where's the door?

Lads, that's Hardy on the right.

Where oh where did the idea that the Fiddler was a chicaloney? 

There is generally a lot of dipping around rural areas in the boarder counties.  It is a big risk in the area but if you want to risk it it can save you a pile.  Would not risk it now as a rule but have done it a few times in the past. 

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 18, 2011, 10:52:13 PM
Is Bio diesel safe to use in any engine?

Does it affect warranty?

Is it any cheaper?

No, the quality varies a lot.

Yes, see above.

Yes, but see above.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Sure,hit it yourself Ref!

Drive on the green myself, wouldnt chance the red unless doing big miles in the south. Have heard reports that the Customs in the 6counties cant do you for driving on the green as technically you are not defrauding HMRC of the excise as you wouldnt have bought the diesel in their jurisdiction anyway, and therefore HMRC would not have received any tax on it. Works the same with the Red when in the South.

Have never heard of anyone getting a fine for Green in the North, in fact have been with people that get dipped and get away with it, apparently its difficult to tell apart from the BioDiesel in colour and needs lab testing to determine what it is sometimes...makes it harder for them too if you mix a wee bit of clear in aswell.

I would always carry a receipt for clear in the car anyway...make sure to take one out of the aul dolls car every now and again!! ;)

lawnseed

i've had a go at all of the scams mentioned
1. kero will feck up your injection pump if you dont put a little 2 stroke in it (this lubs the pump use green only) but on modern diesels it doesnt help, fixing the pump and injectors costs big money.. false economy
2. bio diesel is just ordinary diesel diluted with what ever is the cheapest shite that will burn it can be mold oil, linseed oil, veg oil...
it may be slightly cheaper but the mpg will not be as good.. false ecomomy
3. washed diesel if its done properly which is expensive it will pass most roadside tests (unless theres new tests) the trouble is the boys just want to use acid (cheap method) which fecks up your engine.. false economy
4. green diesel not legal in nordie land no matter what you hear.. false..
5. hauliers on agri diesel dont make any more dough because they need paperwork ie receipts for white diesel also they need to write cheques for white and get the garage to change them and give them back the balance of the money. false..
6. false receipts this can work if used in moderation whereby you can, if you are vat. reg get the garage to slip you a receipt for someone elses fuel and you claim the vat back as part of your expenses 20%. needs to be cash transaction or you will have to write a cheque and have the garage give you back the money
7. it is an offence to doctor the fuel of any road going vehicle with a view to avading duty, that means throwing a half gallon of waste oil into your tank to cover up the fact that you are on agri diesel wont help your case. " officer its good for the engine.."
blah blah

LPG this can be a good saving ONLY if it is properly managed
Unless you buy a manufacturers LPG conversation ie factory fitted from new you dont qualify for the cheaper road tax.
you have to have to pick a petrol car to convert..
consider boot space the gas tank will have to be fitted in the boot or in the sparewheel well.. its a mess if you've got kids and need the space.
With LPG conversions you lose some power typically your 2liter petrol will feel like a 1600cc something to consider if your towing etc.
the cost of converting the last i heard it was approx 1200 stg thats in portadown.
it doesnt pay to drive all over the place to get gas you may have to run on petrol sometimes until its convienent to get gas. dont forget to add that in to your calculations.
puting a 1200stg gas conversation on a car doesnt increase the value of the car 1 penny you'll take a hit when you sell.
there is one advantage to converting you can get a great petrol car and they are hundreds maybe thousands cheaper than the same model in diesel and they are frequently better finished. typically mercedes  nobody wants a petrol merc
you can make huge savings if you convert say a merc and then when your changing go for the same model and used the same kit ie get it put onto the new car. changing over is relatively simple and not expensive.

Most people yap about the cost of fuel but dont mind taking a hiding when they buy or sell their car. depreciation is one of the biggest costs involved in motoring.. buy smart sell smart.
alot of drivers could benefit from using a trip meter or power usage meter on thier car good driving practice can shave pounds of the fuel bill.

right now i've a diesel avensis 2litre, 2001. i gave 1400stg for it and with 120000 aprox on the clock its driving like new and looks ok. i intend to drive it for five years (on white) at which time there will be probably 200,000 on it and it will be worth 3 or 4 hundred. so 1000stg plus maintainance for five years isnt too bad fingers crossed ;)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Banana Man

simple way round it lads, get a syndicate going...

Say you have 10 people in the syndicate, everyone fires £50 in each into the pot, then that leaves £500, so whoever gets caught lifts the pot then pays the fine, then everyone throws another 50 notes in

I know a few boys done it and they only got caught once in 3 years, the same boy got done twice but they kicked him out, i think that was the rule, once your caught you're out as the fine inreases to a grand and you lose the car

mountainboii

Quote from: Sure,hit it yourself Ref! on January 18, 2011, 11:14:44 PM
Drive on the green myself, wouldnt chance the red unless doing big miles in the south. Have heard reports that the Customs in the 6counties cant do you for driving on the green as technically you are not defrauding HMRC of the excise as you wouldnt have bought the diesel in their jurisdiction anyway, and therefore HMRC would not have received any tax on it. Works the same with the Red when in the South.

Have never heard of anyone getting a fine for Green in the North, in fact have been with people that get dipped and get away with it, apparently its difficult to tell apart from the BioDiesel in colour and needs lab testing to determine what it is sometimes...makes it harder for them too if you mix a wee bit of clear in aswell.

I would always carry a receipt for clear in the car anyway...make sure to take one out of the aul dolls car every now and again!! ;)

This is definitely untrue.

illdecide

The cost of fuel is just out of hand, where is this going to end. I'm putting about £20 - £30 of diesel a week into my car and i wouldn't do 100 miles in a week, i know the short journeys are the worst for fuel consumption but thats the way it goes i suppose. I only ever used red diesel twice in my life and on the 2nd fill i drove into the customs stopping vehicles just outside Portadown, to this day i still can't believe they waved me on the only explanation i can give is the car was only about 1 year old and they thought i wouldn't do it or they had enough pulled over at the side of the road and had no more room for vehicles. That was the last time i ever used the ribena...

That was about 6 years ago and have never been dipped since...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2011, 10:14:29 PM
My wife has been driving a diesel car for a while never used it. I have just bought a diesel and I'm seriously considering it. £1.31 locally and its real madness why we (motorists) continue to pay it!!

Was talking to a lad who has two tanks in one, one with all red that runs the car and the other (where the dipper goes) with ordinary!!

I think the dippers can take a sample out of the filter Milltown, so you'd be caught with the false tank as well.

The price is getting beyond a joke at this stage.

The yanks are paying $3 a gallon (US), just over 3 1/2 litres, so they're paying about 60p a litre!!

illdecide

4.546 litres in a gallon which is 66 cents a litre and if you convert that into pounds it's probably about £0.40p a litre but i doubt very much thats all it's costing them TBH

Ulick

Right if a man's getting it tight, how would be go about getting some of this multicoloured diesel?

I take it that's from the pump that's usually set aside from the main pumps?
Is green the equivalent of the northern red stuff?
Would I the man just pull up there and make a fill? Do the boys in the shop not say anything?

Hereiam

Gona start on it again very shortly. If u buy 100 gallon works out about 66p/litre. Will just stick to the back roads. And I know the spots where thay are likely to be.

illdecide

Quote from: johnneycool on January 19, 2011, 02:33:47 PM
My wife has been driving a diesel car for a while never used it. I have just bought a diesel and I'm seriously considering it. £1.31 locally and its real madness why we (motorists) continue to pay it!!

Was talking to a lad who has two tanks in one, one with all red that runs the car and the other (where the dipper goes) with ordinary!!

I think the dippers can take a sample out of the filter Milltown, so you'd be caught with the false tank as well.

The yanks are paying $3 a gallon (US), just over 3 1/2 litres, so they're paying about 60p a litre!!

Just checked it there Johnny, you were right them hoors are paying $3 a gallon which works out at about 66 cents (prob about 40p a litre)...So why the f**k have we to pay 3 times that

theskull1

US gallons are different

1 US Gallon =3.78 lites

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hereiam

Quote from: illdecide on January 19, 2011, 02:51:08 PM

Just checked it there Johnny, you were right them hoors are paying $3 a gallon which works out at about 66 cents (prob about 40p a litre)...So why the f**k have we to pay 3 times that

Its because the USA has a larger population and becasue of this they don't need to tax it as much as here.

Banana Man

Quote from: illdecide on January 19, 2011, 02:51:08 PM

we need to invade kuwait or somewhere