Belfast Giants Ice Hockey

Started by DirtyDozen12, January 16, 2011, 07:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDozen12

Was at the Belfast Giants ice hockey last night in the odyssey as the woman won tickets:

Pro's

-It was free.
-We had great seats
-We ordered a large fanta, popcorn and large packet of Tayto cheese and onion from the snack stand.  I went to pay for it but the girl behind the counter went and served someone else and never came back to me even though i was standing there with the wallet,  I eventually walked off so free snacks!!!
-They was 3/4 fights in the game
-There is a pizza hut in the oddessy and we had a 50% off voucher which we put to use after the game.
-The oven in pizza hut broke down shortly after we got our feed so a pile of people had to leave without food to which I was able to look smug with my food in front of me
-There where some fit cheerleaders
-They do some good free giveaways, flights, a 6ft sub sandwich!!!, music vouchers etc
-Seen Kirsty from Cool FM for the first time, id probably give her one
-When the game was over, there was plenty of short skirts on show walking about the oddessy
-This song was played everytime the giants scored, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DjGMOAjdQQ.  Great TUNE.

Cons

-Ice hockey is pretty much an abortion of a sport
-Its takes over 2 hours to play an hours match.
-The jerseys are a complete sight!  How many sponsor logo's can fit onto one jersey!!  Also, they only must come in XXL
-Typical American typed sport.  All filler, no killer IMO
-It was easy to miss parts of the game because of what was happening in the crowd, free giveways etc, i actually missed a goal because I was looking at something else.
-There was a stupid man dressed as a subway sandwich going round shaking peoples hands!! WTF!!!
-They was 3/4 fat cheerleaders!!!!???!!!  WTF!!!!
-There was a man who must have been around late 30's on his own at the game going crazy.  He kept talking to a girl beside him who had absolutely no interest in what he was saying!
-The same man indulged in probably the most cringest thing ive ever seen between 2 men.  After the Giants scored, he went to 'high five' the guy in front whilst the guy in front went to do the ole knocking together of closed fist salute (http://static-p4.fotolia.com/jpg/00/04/90/19/400_F_4901987_hVcSFSLtjZHjfAHxK9CZfTNQYQok5a5c.jpg) and in the end up he was just holding his closed fist.  Very cringy.

Overall, I wouldn't ever pay to get tickets to see this again but it passed an evening especially when it was free.  There are genuine fans out there who support the team, I felt a bit out of place not cheering as just couldnt really get into it.  In the end up I sort of was supporting the Nottingham Panthers just so it would disappoint the fanatics around me, I can be like that.

It was pretty funny hearing some man shout behind me though 'get away home er that referee, your a complete joke!!'  Thought I was at a local club game for a minute!

Anyway, GO GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Tony Baloney

How much are tickets out of interest if you were a paying customer? Is there many still going? I was sure the novelty would eventually wear off and the whole thing would have been wound up five years ago.

DirtyDozen12

The tickets where £15 each and it was no where near a sell out

They won 7-2 so they must be good enough
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

FermPundit

I went to see the Giants a few years ago and I've never been as bored at a sporting event in my life. Just when you think you might be getting involved in the game there was yet another break in play.

I was actually surprised to see so many proper Giants fans at the game, and supporters from the away team as well!! As Tony has said I didn't think ice hockey would still being played in Belfast in 2011.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Hoof Hearted

the one time i went, the hooter sounded for the start of the game, within TEN SECONDS, and i dont exaggerate here, the ENTIRE giants team went off, and a brand new team came on. WTF is that all about
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

David McKeown

I'd still go very regularly as I find it's a good nights craic but I love Hockey and would probably be very annoyed with the whole thing if I didn't. Managed to win subs the last two times I went too which is always a bonus.

On the cheerleaders thing I was told the last time iwas there that they are all 16 and under. The guy who told me is a massive Giants fan and would see 10-15 away matches a season as well as all the home ones so he probably knows what he's talking about
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Orior

What sort of people become ice hockey fans, and travel to away matches?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

STREET FIGHTER

Been at it once.

Bit of a novelty and enjoyed it ok.

Would be in no rush back.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Orior on January 16, 2011, 11:12:05 PM

Canadians.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Orior

Quote from: All of a Sludden on January 16, 2011, 11:31:06 PM

Canadians.

Actually, I meant what kind of Irish people, who would have been brought up on gaelic, or soccer, or cricket, or tennis, or cycling, or athletics, or chess, or whist?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on January 16, 2011, 10:38:23 PM
the one time i went, the hooter sounded for the start of the game, within TEN SECONDS, and i dont exaggerate here, the ENTIRE giants team went off, and a brand new team came on. WTF is that all about

Here you go Hoof!!

http://www.helium.com/items/1917827-nhl-line-change-rule

I quite like watching the Olympics and NFL games if I happen to be awake but the Giants is a bit of a farce. I've been to 3/4 games but as someone said it's just a different way to pass the time and some people seem to like it so where's the harm. Anyway if they keep going fair play to them I'll still go every time I get free tickets!

ziggysego

Quote from: Orior on January 17, 2011, 12:00:28 AM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on January 16, 2011, 11:31:06 PM

Canadians.

Actually, I meant what kind of Irish people, who would have been brought up on gaelic, or soccer, or cricket, or tennis, or cycling, or athletics, or chess, or whist?

My cousin, who plays Gaelic and Rugby is a big fan of Ice Hockey.

I went once a few years ago. A load of old bollocks. If the game wasn't so boring, I would have been annoyed with all the North American gimmicky distractions in the audience. As one poster said, the man dressed as a Subway being a prime example.
Testing Accessibility

mannix

Imagine going to an NFL game or a baseball game, they would absolutely bore you to tears. Play for five seconds, stop for a minute and play for another five, it takes. Four hours to play a one hour game.

ziggysego

Reminds me of an episode of The Simpsons, where Homer gives up alcohol and goes to a baseball game. Homer is watching the game. With everyone cheering around him and having drinks, he looks bewildered and says,  "I never knew this game was so boring"
Testing Accessibility

wicked

I went earlier this year while in Belfast, when they played the Boston Bruins. I thought the presentation was top-notch, on par with the way it's done in North America, and I liked the arena (it was nice, and it's decent sized but not too big). The repeated stoppages in play are annoying, but we're used to them over here.