Where would you like to visit? But probably won't

Started by armaghniac, January 15, 2011, 12:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Have been told the Skywalk part is a tourist trap with a poor view & we have our own Great Ocean Rd drive in Achill island i'm sure the Mayo guys will be along shortly to talk it up.

Hassling is a problem all right what where they selling this time sunglasses or crappy watches?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

bcarrier

CiKe

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 16, 2011, 04:45:25 PM
Quote from: ross4life on January 16, 2011, 03:16:48 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 16, 2011, 03:04:32 PM
Quote from: I SHOT JR on January 15, 2011, 10:27:51 PM
i've been to cairo and found it amazing.  visited the egyptian museum, a papyrus factory, the sphinx and the pyramids - it was an amazing day that i'd recommend to everyone and anyone.  the funeral mask of tutankhamun is brilliant to see although air conditioning hasn't made it to cairo yet so the museum was sticky to say the least.

Was there myself and wasn't overly impressed.
Was very disappointed with the Pyramids,I didn't like that they built Cairo's version of Ballymun right beside them,also didn't like some of the locals who hassle you while there.
The Museum was impressive but as a whole I didn't like Cairo at all.
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 16, 2011, 02:20:14 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 16, 2011, 02:16:48 PM
Grand Canyon. Holy Land.
Aye Grand Canyon for me too.

Have been,nothing special IMHO.

Did you go to Grand Canyon on a cloudy day? or do one of those helicopter tours missing out on the hike down.

Doing Cairo in a few weeks know all about the locals hassling people having been to the Morocco and Canaries islands shouldn't take away from the spectacular sites i can imagine?

Maybe we went to the wrong spot,we went to the Skywalk part but I have read since that there are better parts to view it.
I was actually more impressed with the Hoover Dam if I'm honest.
I wasn't blown away by the Grand Canyon at all,same as the Pyramids though maybe I expect too much.

Compared to other places I have been like the Great Ocean Rd drive in Australia or Milford Sound in New Zealand the Grand Canyon was no where near those for an experience in my opinion anyways

The Pyramids experience was ruined for me by the fact I believed they were way out in the middle of the desert,I didn't expect as I said Ballymun flats to be a stones throw away or being able to take a photo of the Pyramids and the Sphinx with KFC and Maccy D's in the background.Plus we were hassled from the moment we got off the bus by locals.

Milford Sound is brilliant, did that on a sunny winter's day, did Doubtful Sound the day before on a bleak, rainy, misty day. Incredible altogether. Want to go to the Norwegian fjords.

Boycey

Mine isn't actually a place more a happening, always wanted to witness a total eclipse but I suppose it'd be cool to see it somewhere exotic. Below is a list of the ones for next 25 years.

•July 11, 2010 – South Pacific Ocean including Easter Island and the southern tip of South America
•November 13, 2012 – Australia and the Pacific Ocean
•November 3, 2013 – Atlantic Ocean and central Africa
•March 20, 2015 – North Atlantic Ocean, Norwegian Sea, Svalbard and the Faroe Islands
•March 9, 2016 – Indonesia including Sumatra, Borneo and Sulawesi, and the north Pacific Ocean
•August 21, 2017 – United States from Oregon to South Carolina
•July 2, 2019 – South Pacific Ocean, Chile and Argentina
•December 14, 2020 – Chile and Argentina
•December 4, 2021 – Antarctica
•April 20, 2023 – Indonesia
•April 8, 2024 – Mexico, United States and Canada
•August 12, 2026 – Greenland, Iceland and Spain
•August 2, 2027 – Gibraltar, North Africa and Saudi Arabia
•July 22, 2028 – Indian Ocean, Australia and New Zealand
•November 25, 2030 – South Africa, Indian Ocean and Australia
•November 14, 2031 – Pacific Ocean
•March 30, 2033 – Alaska and the Arctic Ocean
•March 20, 2034 – Central Africa and the Middle East
•September 2, 2035 – China, North Korea, Japan and the Pacific Ocean

Milltown Row2

Aye stick to the thread title please, or Dougal will be out with his dick measuring device!!

Going to Italy for the first time this year, Tuscany place near Pisa. That's one place on my list. would like to go to Rome also but too far from were we will be staying, so will have to wait >:(.

Want to go to Moscow also.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 16, 2011, 07:23:09 PM
Why is it that threads like this one and the pimp up your photography one very quickly turn into dick measuring contests as posters try to outdo each other in an ' I've been to loads of great places competition' Lister to yourselves  - I've been to NYC 5 times, how come you cant go,  I've just been to the south of Norway,  Oh, well I've been to the north and seen the northern lights blah blah blah, actually no  blow blow blow is more appropriate in the circumstances

You've been to the Eurovision.
MWWSI 2017

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

ross4life

Why is it that threads like this one and the pimp up your photography one very quickly turn into dick measuring contests as posters try to outdo each other in an ' I've been to loads of great places competition' Lister to yourselves  - I've been to NYC 5 times, how come you cant go,  I've just been to the south of Norway,  Oh, well I've been to the north and seen the northern lights blah blah blah, actually no  blow blow blow is more appropriate in the circumstances

It's not the size but how you use it as they say...

Going back to CiKe piece on the Norwegian fjords, it's all about getting a good sunny day & that part of Norway rains more than here.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

sammymaguire

Dougal, I am rather well endowed now you mention it but apart from that, places you will never go.... As awesome as the city is, New York is hardly somewhere not that accessible or somewhere you couldn't save up to go compared to all these other places mentioned that I have barely even heard of but I know the point you make when you highlight it in such a fashion
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

pintsofguinness

Couldnt agree more.

Quote from: sammymaguire on January 16, 2011, 08:34:24 PM

Dougal, I am rather well endowed now you mention it but apart from that, places you will never go.... As awesome as the city is, New York is hardly somewhere not that accessible or somewhere you couldn't save up to go compared to all these other places mentioned that I have barely even heard of but I know the point you make when you highlight it in such a fashion
Do you ever get sick of bragging and blowing  :D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Niall Quinn

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
I cremated Sam McGee.

Now Sam McGee was from Tennessee, where the cotton blooms and blows.
Why he left his home in the South to roam 'round the Pole, God only knows.
He was always cold, but the land of gold seemed to hold him like a spell;
Though he'd often say in his homely way that he'd "sooner live in hell".

On a Christmas Day we were mushing our way over the Dawson trail.
Talk of your cold! through the parka's fold it stabbed like a driven nail.
If our eyes we'd close, then the lashes froze till sometimes we couldn't see;
It wasn't much fun, but the only one to whimper was Sam McGee.

And that very night, as we lay packed tight in our robes beneath the snow,
And the dogs were fed, and the stars o'erhead were dancing heel and toe,
He turned to me, and "Cap," says he, "I'll cash in this trip, I guess;
And if I do, I'm asking that you won't refuse my last request."

Well, he seemed so low that I couldn't say no; then he says with a sort of moan:
"It's the cursed cold, and it's got right hold till I'm chilled clean through to the bone.
Yet 'tain't being dead -- it's my awful dread of the icy grave that pains;
So I want you to swear that, foul or fair, you'll cremate my last remains."

A pal's last need is a thing to heed, so I swore I would not fail;
And we started on at the streak of dawn; but God! he looked ghastly pale.
He crouched on the sleigh, and he raved all day of his home in Tennessee;
And before nightfall a corpse was all that was left of Sam McGee.

There wasn't a breath in that land of death, and I hurried, horror-driven,
With a corpse half hid that I couldn't get rid, because of a promise given;
It was lashed to the sleigh, and it seemed to say:
"You may tax your brawn and brains,
But you promised true, and it's up to you to cremate those last remains."

Now a promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code.
In the days to come, though my lips were dumb, in my heart how I cursed that load.
In the long, long night, by the lone firelight, while the huskies, round in a ring,
Howled out their woes to the homeless snows -- O God! how I loathed the thing.

And every day that quiet clay seemed to heavy and heavier grow;
And on I went, though the dogs were spent and the grub was getting low;
The trail was bad, and I felt half mad, but I swore I would not give in;
And I'd often sing to the hateful thing, and it hearkened with a grin.

Till I came to the marge of Lake Lebarge, and a derelict there lay;
It was jammed in the ice, but I saw in a trice it was called the "Alice May".
And I looked at it, and I thought a bit, and I looked at my frozen chum;
Then "Here," said I, with a sudden cry, "is my cre-ma-tor-eum."

Some planks I tore from the cabin floor, and I lit the boiler fire;
Some coal I found that was lying around, and I heaped the fuel higher;
The flames just soared, and the furnace roared -- such a blaze you seldom see;
And I burrowed a hole in the glowing coal, and I stuffed in Sam McGee.

Then I made a hike, for I didn't like to hear him sizzle so;
And the heavens scowled, and the huskies howled, and the wind began to blow.
It was icy cold, but the hot sweat rolled down my cheeks, and I don't know why;
And the greasy smoke in an inky cloak went streaking down the sky.

I do not know how long in the snow I wrestled with grisly fear;
But the stars came out and they danced about ere again I ventured near;
I was sick with dread, but I bravely said: "I'll just take a peep inside.
I guess he's cooked, and it's time I looked"; . . . then the door I opened wide.

And there sat Sam, looking cool and calm, in the heart of the furnace roar;
And he wore a smile you could see a mile, and he said: "Please close that door.
It's fine in here, but I greatly fear you'll let in the cold and storm --
Since I left Plumtree, down in Tennessee, it's the first time I've been warm."

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
I cremated Sam McGee.

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

sammymaguire

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 16, 2011, 08:44:03 PM
Couldnt agree more.

Quote from: sammymaguire on January 16, 2011, 08:34:24 PM

Do you ever get sick of bragging and blowing  :D

do you ever get sick of spouting shite all the time on here? obviously not - I love you too by the way (its been a few months since we had a bit of banter)  :-* :-* :'( :'(
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

pintsofguinness

Seriously though, I've always wondered with people like you, what is it, is it an insecurity or do you even know you're doing it?
To be fair, you're not on your own. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

sammymaguire

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 16, 2011, 09:21:13 PM
Seriously though, I've always wondered with people like you, what is it, is it an insecurity or do you even know you're doing it?
To be fair, you're not on your own.

I am shocking insecure so I have to blow and brag like mad, its the only way I can deal with it.

I was bullied at school for my Linford bodily parts!!  :o So any craic with ye, how did you get the festive season over you and the folks?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

DrinkingHarp

Rio De Janeiro, looks fantastic but the CRIME keeps me away.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014