Corduff lose their Ulster Title - Swanlinbar win appeal

Started by thebandit, January 12, 2011, 01:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

hard luck to swanlinbar but most of the time its not a level playing field when coming up against these kerry junior teams. know all about it from our encounter with finuge. think croke park need to look at the way the kerry championships are structured.

AZOffaly

Explain that one please clarshack? I think you might be getting confused with the whole Divisional side thing.

Over the Bar

QuoteExplain that one please clarshack? I think you might be getting confused with the whole Divisional side thing.

He means there's hookery goin on & the Kerry clubs are up to their clabby armpits in it

AZOffaly

In what way? Granted Mary's would be a relatively big club in South Kerry, and should be embarassed to be down at Junior Level, but there's 9 clubs in a very low populated area down there, and 3 of them have now won All Ireland, 2 of the clubs far smaller than your average town club.

I think the problem comes from the fact that the players get exposure to better football, if they are good enough, by playing with South Kerry. But to be honest that's the whole reason for the divisional sides, to raise the standard of everyone playing football in Kerry. I don't think they should be apologetic for that.

Obviously I would be against the divisional teams being allowed compete against normal clubs in the All Ireland Senior Club, but I see nothing wrong with the individual clubs being allowed to compete in the grade they play at.

clarshack

you would need a degree in club championships to explain the kerry setup  ???

possibly the teams in the kerry novice championship plus bottom teams in the kerry junior championship would be at the level of other counties junior championships.

it should be a case of either the divisional teams are scrapped in kerry (and cork) or they should be adopted by all other counties where possible in order to give junior players experience of playing senior championsip football.

Main Street

Resounding emphatic win for the Kerry juniors, well deserved congratulations are in order.

clarshack

Quote from: Main Street on February 12, 2011, 10:41:20 PM
Resounding emphatic win for the Kerry juniors, well deserved congratulations are in order.

are u a corduff man main street?

cornafean

Quote from: omagh_gael on February 11, 2011, 11:24:24 AM
Slightly off topic but why are Swanlinbar know as Swad?

The town was originally named Swadlingbar after 4 gentlemen who founded some sort of iron mine in the locality. The name is a combination of their four names, Swift, Darling and Barry were three of them, I forget the other one.  Obviously the name was shortened to Swanlinbar at some stage but the colloquial 'Swad' lives on.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Main Street on February 12, 2011, 10:41:20 PM

Absolutely, the best team won and congrats to them. The 2nd best junior team came 2nd and well done to them too,  its tough to lose an ai final but they have their ulster medals as compensation.

clarshack

AZOffaly

Quote from: clarshack on February 12, 2011, 10:39:43 PM

possibly the teams in the kerry novice championship plus bottom teams in the kerry junior championship would be at the level of other counties junior championships.

it should be a case of either the divisional teams are scrapped in kerry (and cork) or they should be adopted by all other counties where possible in order to give junior players experience of playing senior championsip football.

I'm sure every county in Ireland is entitled to form divisional boards/teams if they wish, they just won't be allowed enter the All Ireland Club, as it should be. I think you're barking up the wrong tree blaming Kerry for allowing players from small clubs the opportunity to play at a higher level. It bears fruit for them at County level as well. Galvin, Declan O'Sullivan, Brian Sheehan, Killian Young and a good few others are from junior clubs.

clarshack

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2011, 11:55:52 PM

I'm sure every county in Ireland is entitled to form divisional boards/teams if they wish, they just won't be allowed enter the All Ireland Club, as it should be. I think you're barking up the wrong tree blaming Kerry for allowing players from small clubs the opportunity to play at a higher level. It bears fruit for them at County level as well. Galvin, Declan O'Sullivan, Brian Sheehan, Killian Young and a good few others are from junior clubs.

yeah but in about 30 other counties those clubs would be senior clubs.

TacadoirArdMhacha

[/quote

What is the Kerry novice championship?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

AZOffaly

I don't follow your argument. Are you saying they'd be senior clubs because they are that good, or are you saying that the likes of Dromid or Portmagee would be a senior club based on size? If it's the latter, you're dead wrong. If the former, well I refer you to my original point about the purpose behind the divisional sides.

The fact is that Kerry has a Senior Club championship, with X participants, and an Intermediate Club Championship with Y participants, and a Junior Championship with Z participants. The Novice Championship is the equivalent of Junior B or Junior C even.

St. Mary's are a bit of an exception in that they should really be a Senior Club, but have fallen dramatically through the ranks in recent years. All of the other clubs in South Kerry are pure Junior or Intermediate sized clubs, based on their catchment area. The fact that they have been unusually successful since the inception of the All Ireland Intermediate and Junior championships is probably due to the level of competition they have to play against when they represent South Kerry, but again, that's the whole purpose behind those sides and Kerry are reaping the benefits of that policy.

Maybe, as you say, other counties need to look at trying to raise their internal standards by a similar mechanism, but that's a question for them, not for Kerry. To say that Portmagee should not be Junior, or that St. Michaels, Foilmore shouldn't be intermediate because they are 'too good' is not fair.

AZOffaly

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on February 13, 2011, 12:56:27 AM

[/quote

What is the Kerry novice championship?

Hi Tac, as I alluded to a second ago, the Novice Championship is the level below Junior. In most counties Novice is called Junior B or Junior C.