Devastating Australian floods

Started by Aerlik, January 12, 2011, 09:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Don't know how much coverage it has been getting in Ireland, but there are some devastating floods occurring in Queensland at the moment.  Some dramatic images and tragedies.  Lives have been lost and houses literally lifted up and sent floating away.
I live in Emerald for a few months in 2006.  Two years ago the local area flooded but my mate's house escaped with flood waters just touching the front gate.  His neighbours were not so lucky.  He sold that property and went to Toowoomba.  Last week his old place in Emerald was inundated with water to the roof.  Then this week Toowoomba was hit by an incredible wall of water.  Luckily my mate and his wife are unaffected.  However, Brisbane has been hit badly by deadly floods in the past two days. 
One thing to note is the number of properties built on known flood plains.  Alot of eastern Australia seems to let such development.  Can't figure that one out.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Doogie Browser

It is all over the press but more local events have probably deflected it away from most conversations.  Is this their Katrina? 

ballinaman

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 12, 2011, 09:30:01 AM
It is all over the press but more local events have probably deflected it away from most conversations.  Is this their Katrina?
The size of the disaster is vast compared to Katrina...75% of Queensland a disaster zone...massive area.
Yep, death toll is at 12 at the moment...New Orelans was at least over a 1000 as far as i can remember?

2012 around the corner...Mayans onto something??

Doogie Browser

Quote from: ballinaman on January 12, 2011, 09:46:41 AM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 12, 2011, 09:30:01 AM
The size of the disaster is vast compared to Katrina...75% of Queensland a disaster zone...massive area.
A lot less casualties obviously

The Subbie

Wouldn't be so sure if that Doogie, where I work the NSW rural fire service have their hq down the road & was talking to a few of them earlier today @ the local coffee shop ,they are gearing up to head up there for the recovery phase & are expecting casualty figures to rise substantially when the flood waters drop.
There was a clip on tv earlier of a white 4wd floating along with a few people in it in the middle of a huge,vast area of water, according to the report the tv heli called in the co-ords but when the rescue heli came to look the 4wd had disappeared. Really hope them people r ok
I know a few fellas in brissy & it's chaos there from what they are saying on the phone earlier

Dinny Breen

Quote75% of Queensland a disaster zone...massive area.

To put that into perspective that is an area bigger than France and Germany combined...

Mother Nature is an angry woman these days..
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Capt Pat

the youtube clips of toowoomba are worth a look.

stephenite

Subbie-that white 4WD had a young child and her parents in it-the mother and daughter have been confirmed safe but no sign of the father yet

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hardy

tyssam5

Declan

The Subbie

Quote from: tyssam5 on January 12, 2011, 05:55:20 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 12, 2011, 12:00:26 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on January 12, 2011, 11:48:10 AM
the youtube clips of toowoomba are worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY&NR=1

Because the flood waters rise that quickly everyone was caught out.
I thought the exact same as you and thought look @ them pricks hanging onto to trees etc why didnt they head for high ground etc but from talking to the fire brigade lads the water came into toowoomba like a tsunami and disappeared just as quick but wreck all before her when there.

WTF did people not think about moving the vehicles a wee bit earlier.