Shower Problem

Started by nrico2006, January 10, 2011, 11:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Any DIY entusiasts on here?

I have a problem with my Mira Sport electric shower.  When I have the water set to warm the flow is pretty poor, it's weak and water does not come out through all the holes in the shower head, it just comes out through the holes on the outside.  However, when I turn the shower to cold the water flows out at a high pressure and does come out through all the holes.  Anybody experienced anything similar or have any idea what is wrong?  I intend on 'trying' to clean the inlet filter when I get home, hopefully I don't kill myself in the process. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Orior

Was it always like that or has it deteriorated?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

I'm having the same problems. I'd someone out to look at it and they've put it down to the weather. Pipes are freezing, so there's not enough pressure.
Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

Showers will always run slower when on a high setting as the water has to be heated first, whereas when its in cold setting its just coming straight from the pump.
Have you a problem with Lime in the water? Check the bottom of your kettle and it will tell you if you have a lime problem.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 10, 2011, 11:52:17 AM
Showers will always run slower when on a high setting as the water has to be heated first, whereas when its in cold setting its just coming straight from the pump.
Have you a problem with Lime in the water? Check the bottom of your kettle and it will tell you if you have a lime problem.

I was going to say that about the lime, we had very hard water in the last house and caused an awful build up in the show head.  Take it off and descale or just scrap if off. 

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 10, 2011, 12:00:14 PM

I was going to say that about the lime, we had very hard water in the last house and caused an awful build up in the show head.  Take it off and descale or just scrap if off.

Putting the shower head in a bowl of white vinegar overnight will descale it.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 10, 2011, 12:02:25 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 10, 2011, 12:00:14 PM

Putting the shower head in a bowl of white vinegar overnight will descale it.

How much do you charge for doing that?
Testing Accessibility

johnneycool

If you've a presssurised water system NI water have dropped the mains pressure due to the thaw and leaks and that affects my shower pressure greatly. I think it was below 1 bar there a week ago.

theskull1

Thats a mains hot shower JC not an electric one
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on January 10, 2011, 12:14:03 PM
Thats a mains hot shower JC not an electric one

Aye, I know, that's why I was pointing out that the mains pressure has dropped in the last few weeks and that will impact on an electrical shower as well as a possible scaling issue.

AbbeySider

We had problems at home with silt in the water lines as well as lime, blocking the shower.
Clean the shower head with lemon or vinegar as described above.
You can clean the filters in these Mira showers, but make sure you turn off the water for the shower where its coming from your tank in the attic. Thers should be a stop tap on the pipe coming from the bottom of the tank.
Shut the power off to the shower before you open it.
You will need a Philips screwdriver to open the shower and  may need a vice grips to open the filter.
Some water will spill out but if you have turned off the water it should stop after a few moments.

nrico2006

Thanks for the tips, would it do any good to footer with the mains water tap under the sink to increase the pressure?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

theskull1

Maybe .....but the fact he has no problem with the flow on cold would suggest to me that the mains water pressure is not a factor (assuming the water pressure of the cold currently is more than what the hot would flow at normally).
Guessing that theres a low pressure issue though on the hot water side of the immersion causing gravity to push water out of perished seals on the shower head attachment....could be that the pump is on its way out or limescaled

Changes in water pressure can do funny things.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

HowAreYeGettinOn

Slightly off-topic (apologies theskull1) : am looking to replace our electric shower - what make / model would ye gentlemen recommend? So far I'm hearing that Triton / Mira are the best around?

Hardy

Mains pressure has nothing to do with it unless your shower is connected to the mains supply, which it shouldn't be. The pressure is determined by the height of your attic tank and by the pump in the shower unit.

As Laoislad says, the flow has to decrease the hotter you want it. That's how it works. The longer the water stays in touch with the heating element (i.e. the slower it flows) the hotter it gets.

Quote from: HowAreYeGettinOn on January 10, 2011, 12:38:49 PM
Slightly off-topic (apologies theskull1) : am looking to replace our electric shower - what make / model would ye gentlemen recommend? So far I'm hearing that Triton / Mira are the best around?
They're all shite, for the reason above. You can't get good pressure and high temperature. The best answer is a shower pump fitted in the hot and cold supply lines. They cost upwards of €500 plus whatever your plumber charges for house calls. But even a one-bar pump will give you good shower pressure. A three-bar will skin your back. You should be able to see them demonstrated in one of those bathroom supply showrooms.

Edit: Correction on the price - that's what I was quoted recently when inquiring about replacing ours. I see you can get 2-bar pumps on line for as little as Stg£165 for a positive-head (for use in ordinary houses where the shower is below the tank) twin-impeller (pump both hot and cold water, which is what you want). I don't know how good these particular ones are. http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/standard-use-shower-pumps-1655-0000