45 Challenge

Started by Any craic, January 07, 2011, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Quote from: ONeill on January 09, 2011, 09:45:30 AM
Quote from: hardstation on January 09, 2011, 12:24:19 AM
You would think that 'kicking a 50' was a dying trait in Gaelic football, the way these lads are talking. Without having the stats in front of me, I reckon that it is quite the opposite.

You can hear the growns from the Tyrone support when we get one. Can't remember the last successful kick from that range. It's usually taken short, given to Penrose about 20m out and wide.
If Armagh had a player that could've taken frees from the 45 we probably would've beaten Dublin in last year's qualifier.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Maguire01

I remember Monaghan doing the same thing - I think it was for BBC's championship a few years ago. Only a handful managed to score and many of the attempts were as bad as on that video. But in reality, if Monaghan are ever awarded a 45, there's only 2-3 players that would ever take it, so it doesn't really matter.

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on January 08, 2011, 11:21:02 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 08, 2011, 12:15:59 AM
Just as well they didn't ask them to take a Hurling 65,if they can't even kick a ball they wouldn't have much hope of mastering the hurling skill.

BTW, this is easier done, by a fair bit.
+1

thewobbler

Careful now, the hurling contingent are likely to come in all sticks a blazing, mumbling some rubbish about sideline cuts.

saffron sam2

Quote from: ONeill on January 09, 2011, 09:45:30 AM
Quote from: hardstation on January 09, 2011, 12:24:19 AM
You would think that 'kicking a 50' was a dying trait in Gaelic football, the way these lads are talking. Without having the stats in front of me, I reckon that it is quite the opposite.

You can hear the growns from the Tyrone support when we get one. Can't remember the last successful kick from that range. It's usually taken short, given to Penrose about 20m out and wide.

Do the growns groan?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

lynchbhoy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 08, 2011, 11:34:17 PM
The distance isn't the issue, the style of kicking is though. I often fInd that people who profess to know how to coach, Play etc who post on here have rarely played or been coached at a good level, maybe there is a correlation? The basics for kicking a ball are the same no matter whether it is off the ground, off a tee or out of your hands. If you don't know that then no harm to you but you know deck  all. There is far too much complication in the analysis of the game. Correct foot positioning, eye on the ball and a proper follow through that is that.  CK were you in the video or something?
...plus body alignment, balance etc etc

Any craic

Penrith Gaels take up the 45 Challenge at the Waverley Oval in Sydney. Ok the pitch isn't marked right (it's all they can get) but it's a bit of craic. The lads having a go are from a variety of clubs as you would expect - Round Towers Clondalkin, Cookstown Fr Rocks, Roslea Shamrocks, St Patrick's in Louth, O'Dempsey's in Laois, Rostrevor in Down, Mayfield in Cork, Glenulllin in Derry, as well as Wicklow, Wexford & Roscommon. 'Benny Coulter' comes to the rescue. http://bit.ly/lT6JgJ

ck

Jerome, why have you got Tempo Fermanagh as your club?