GPA or GAA?

Started by High Catch, February 23, 2007, 11:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Hardy

Paddypastit - is that our old friend Dion Fanning again? It's embarrassing to find oneself on the same side of the GPA argument as a gobshite like that, especially when it's for entirely the opposite reasons.

LaurelEye

Quote from: HardyPaddypastit - is that our old friend Dion Fanning again? It's embarrassing to find oneself on the same side of the GPA argument as a gobshite like that, especially when it's for entirely the opposite reasons.

Looks to be Éamonn Sweeney.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

The Truth

Quote from: The Bottom Brick on February 25, 2007, 12:06:25 AM
I'd love to know how many members they actually have... I spoke to 2 lads, one who plays for Monaghan, one for Cavan, and they're answer was "I know nothing about it, I don't even know if I'm a member.."

What do they do for handball? or Leitrim hurling? Or Carlow football for example?

Joe Brolly's article in this week's Gaelic Life should be posted all over ireland - the Derry man hit the nail exactly on the head!!

Can anyone post the Brolly article?
"We serve neither King nor Kaiser"

muppet

QuoteIf GAA players are to be paid, it should be by their own Association. The GAA, unlike the cash starved competitors in other sports, can afford it.

This of course is Sindo Sunday shitetalk.

QuoteI spoke to 2 lads, one who plays for Monaghan, one for Cavan, and they're answer was "I know nothing about it, I don't even know if I'm a member.."

"I don't even know if I'm a member.." It is hard to beat such stupidity.
MWWSI 2017

The Bottom Brick

Quote"I don't even know if I'm a member.." It is hard to beat such stupidity.

It merely proves the lack of influence that the GPA has in two middling/weak county squads in Ulster. Can't imagine they're the number one priority in many other counties either bar Cork and a couple of others
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

bigpaul

BOTH!!!!!

Why can't I be a loyal member of the GAA and still support the GPA? I think the two are compatible, the better treatment our players get, the better they perform and the better our games become!
Why is it that, when I have tried to engage in debate on this matter, I have been left with the last post on two other threads? If anyone wants to discuss this matter in a serious fashion, without resorting to childish yah boo statements, I would be delighted. If there is a serious well founded fear of the GPA I would love to hear it. 

Hardy

Quote from: bigpaul on February 25, 2007, 11:51:05 PM
If there is a serious well founded fear of the GPA I would love to hear it. 

Lets start with this one: professionalism. That taboo word that the GPA is careful not to utter (except when their chairman lets it slip in an unguarded moment). That objective that the GPA continues to protest too much that it rejects. That which it proclaims is the last thing on its collective mind while seeking every opportunity to remind us of the money that it perceives to be sloshing around within the GAA while "the players" (they mean "the elite players") get none. Not that they want any, you understand, being against "pay for play". The non-existent aspiration that still prompted them to use the occasion of renting Croke Park for soccer and rugby internationals as an opportunity to demand that some of the proceeds should be diverted directly to "the (elite) players". Not as pay, of course. I'm not sure how. But not as pay. Absolutely not. Never.

dublinfella

Quote from: Hardy on February 26, 2007, 12:34:05 AM
Quote from: bigpaul on February 25, 2007, 11:51:05 PM
If there is a serious well founded fear of the GPA I would love to hear it. 

Lets start with this one: professionalism. That taboo word that the GPA is careful not to utter (except when their chairman lets it slip in an unguarded moment). That objective that the GPA continues to protest too much that it rejects. That which it proclaims is the last thing on its collective mind while seeking every opportunity to remind us of the money that it perceives to be sloshing around within the GAA while "the players" (they mean "the elite players") get none. Not that they want any, you understand, being against "pay for play". The non-existent aspiration that still prompted them to use the occasion of renting Croke Park for soccer and rugby internationals as an opportunity to demand that some of the proceeds should be diverted directly to "the (elite) players". Not as pay, of course. I'm not sure how. But not as pay. Absolutely not. Never.

but they cant win hardy. they repeat ad nauseum that they arent about pay per play but people like yourself kneejerk that they are anyway despite the GPA's stated opposition to professionalism.

its exactly that sort of aggresive red scare defence from within the GAA to simple issues of player welfare that created and cemented the GPA

paddypastit

Hardy / Laurel Eye - I don't know who penned the article.  Pulled it from the on-line and they don't always credit the author there - didn't in this case anyway.  Will check the print version at work tomorrow and edit this post accordingly
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

bigpaul

Quote from: Mayo4Sam link=topic=1821.msg50710#msg50710 date=1172234146
"I was on record some years previously as saying I believed players should be paid a fee on a per-match basis"
/quote]
To leave out part of a quote is to misquote!
What you fail to mention is that Dessie Farrell went on to say that he had since changed his mind!

As far as 'professionalism' is concerned, I have already addressed this issue in another thread. To re-iterate. I think that the 'pay for play' train has left the station! When Bertie Aherne and the President of the GAA state that professionalism is a non starter, it really is! If the GPA were to pursue any such objective, through the front or back door, they would lose all credibility with those who wield  influence in Irish society! 

Captain Scarlet

you may sneer the brick for that but i know a lad who turned up for kildare training one night and was given a GPA top and he explained he never joined the thing. he was then informed he was a member all along. i heard too that some of the GPA award winners weren't even members.

had to laugh last year too at them weighing in behind the club fixtures debate even though club men can't join.

as is pointed out the gaa have to look at the big picture. two weeks ago the there was a coaching conference in maynooth and i was told it cost 19 grand. the gpa don't take this stuff into account and only want to look after a minority of players.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Johno07

To all anti GPA posters: So you prefer to see various county secretaries throughout the country being paid fulltime? the likes of our super intelligent Friends in the Tyrone county board, you would prefer to see Nicky Brennan and his band of cronies sitting behind their desks in croke park getting paid full time than inter county players who shed blood and sweat on waterlogged shitholes in the middle of January? These players are doing it for their counties and for you the supporters. I am not advocating professional status, but a fund could easily be set up whereby all intercounty players get a couple of hundred euro a week for their efforts.
"For the highs to be high the lows have to be low!"

phpearse

Yes I would prefer to see various county secretaries getting paid full time and Nicky Brennan getting paid. He travels the country attending opening of pitches and does a very good job. Very little intercounty players tarin on waterlogged shit holes in january, they typically have the best of facilities. anyway if they do its good training, pulls the legs off you. its the club player that trains in shite conditions. and as for the argument about doing for their county and supporters well thats hardly the case. everybody plays football or hurling for the enjoyment and for themselves. playing for a county and getting the respect of supprters may be nice but its hardly a driving force behind their participation.

Captain Scarlet

it's a stupid arguement to say that if you don't agree with the gpa you are not for players welfare.

of course the county lads are to be looked after but the gpa would happily let the club men rot.

the gaa has just appointed a players welfare officer too so give him a chance.
the gpa have some good aspects but i don't like how they operate. its too easy just to concentrate on the negatives of the gaa. i mean realistically what have they ever done except run to the press with a sob story. they exploit players too.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.