8: T. Taylor (Eastern Harps)
9: B. Egan (Tourlestrane)
10: A. Costello (Coolera/Strandhill)
11: F. Quinn (Shamrock Gaels)
12: P. Hughes (Geevagh)
13: D. Maye (Curry)
14: J. Hynes (St. Farnans)
15: A. Marren (Curry)

3 debuts and a few interesting positional selections.

Any truth in me hearing that Alan Costello is back in Sligo IT for his 8th year starting a new course?
It must not be true is he is not lining out with them...

magpie seanie

I genuinely don't know. If he is what's the problem? Would you prefer if he went on the dole?

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AbbeySider

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 07, 2011, 05:16:24 PM
I genuinely don't know. If he is what's the problem? Would you prefer if he went on the dole?

Did I say I had a problem? Pull your horns in good lad.
I was making the point, that if true I would have expected him to line out with Sligo IT and thus be playing Sigerson when that comes around.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 07, 2011, 03:33:45 PM
Sligo team to play Galway is:

1: J. Farrell (Owenmore Gaels)
2: C. Harrison (St. Johns)
3: C. Davey (Drumcliffe/Rosses Point)
4: N. Ewing (Drumcliffe/Rosses Point)
5: P. McGovern (Eastern Harps)
6: N. Maguire (Easkey)
7: B. O'Boyle (Calry/St. Josephs)
8: T. Taylor (Eastern Harps)
9: B. Egan (Tourlestrane)
10: A. Costello (Coolera/Strandhill)
11: F. Quinn (Shamrock Gaels)
12: P. Hughes (Geevagh)
13: D. Maye (Curry)
14: J. Hynes (St. Farnans)
15: A. Marren (Curry)

3 debuts and a few interesting positional selections.
Its the first game and im happy enough with most of that team, the selection of McGuire at CHB is a total waste of time to nurture a potential CHB imo and reinforces my opinion on walsh. Whats his thinking there, filter as many HFs back as possible and crowd that area so we can protect McGuire, similar to what T Breheny did when mcnamara was there. Its a mistake, get Mark Quinn in there.

B O Boyle was CHB for u21s last yr and is there again this yr, good player, glad to see get a chance. Glad F Quinn is in there, his inspiration in the conacht junior final was immense so im expecting him to kick on this yr. Hynes is a suprise but he is talented, the great Denis Jonston wouldnt start him for the u21s last yr which probably threw away the title on us so at least walsh can see that he has the raw materials.

Im a big fan of Sean Davey and his Sligo career, absolute legend, he is costing a young player for the future a place on the bench on sunday which is not in the best interests of Sligo seniors imo.

Pat Hughes deserves a shot, dont mind him starting at all. Hard working HF, and more defensive so will suit with mcguire chb buts its not ideal tactic for me.

Glad Farrell is in goals, and hopefully we'll see mcgovern aswell. This will be my first time seeing Conor Davey FB since Sligo minors in 2007, looking forward to seeing him there.

Delighted to see Brendan Egan back aswell.

Glad to see Griffin and Gilmartin made the cut at NUIG
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo Leitrim game changed from Ballinamore to Ballyhaunis. Happy days. Makes sense I guess, have it near the Connacht Centre of Excellence.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 08, 2011, 05:45:45 PM
Mayo Leitrim game changed from Ballinamore to Ballyhaunis. Happy days. Makes sense I guess, have it near the Connacht Centre of Excellence.

And Ross4life's mosque.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Reason for this plenty of venues in Leitrim? hopefully that means we don't have to travel to smellyhaunis now
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ross4life on January 08, 2011, 05:56:58 PM

Reason for this plenty of venues in Leitrim? hopefully that means we don't have to travel to smellyhaunis now

No, ye'll still have to travel. Three home games now for Mayo. Great to have a bit of pull.

ross4life

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 08, 2011, 10:03:55 PM

No, ye'll still have to travel. Three home games now for Mayo. Great to have a bit of pull.

Well the smart thing to do would be... our game with Leitrim to be now away & then play ye at home, problem solved?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ross4life on January 08, 2011, 11:28:32 PM

Well the smart thing to do would be... our game with Leitrim to be now away & then play ye at home, problem solved?

No need. As has been pointed out before Ballyhaunis is closer to the far extremes of Roscommon than places like Belmullet and Achill. Sure it is almost a home game for ye anyway. And while there ye can go for a look at the wonderful work underway at the Connacht Centre of Excellence in Bekan.

ross4life

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 08, 2011, 11:36:13 PM
Quote from: ross4life on January 08, 2011, 11:28:32 PM

No need. As has been pointed out before Ballyhaunis is closer to the far extremes of Roscommon than places like Belmullet and Achill. Sure it is almost a home game for ye anyway. And while there ye can go for a look at the wonderful work underway at the Connacht Centre of Excellence in Bekan.

No need, we have our own centre thanks.

ck

ross4life

Quote from: ck on January 09, 2011, 01:02:11 AM
Surprised to see Sean Davey back on the Sligo panel

The same Sean Davey that scored a monster point v us in the Connacht final back in July?

magpie seanie

Quote from: ross4life on January 09, 2011, 01:19:04 AM
Quote from: ck on January 09, 2011, 01:02:11 AM
Surprised to see Sean Davey back on the Sligo panel

The same Sean Davey that scored a monster point v us in the Connacht final back in July?

And crippled Tommy Walsh the year before with a shoulder below in Tralee. Seán is one of those players that is capable of anything and I mean anything! That point in the Connacht final was one of the weirdest kicks I've ever seen. I was half way through cursing him when it changed direction and curled unnaturally over the bar!