Footballers with potential but never quite made it

Started by Gael85, December 24, 2010, 05:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EagleLord

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 20, 2011, 10:55:44 AM

But one player who really frustrated me was Michael Walsh. He was in the same Mayobridge kids team as Benny Coulter. Mayobridge started building that team at u-10s. Back then Walsh was the absolute star, Benny was seen (even then) as having all the talent he needed to go to eventually go to the top of the game, but Walsh was seen as the future star of the team. He went on to win the 1999 minor All-Ireland same year as Coulter, Sexton & Grant from that same u-10 group. But that was the end of him really, never made the grade at senior level and its hard to tell why. Such a pity, anyone who saw him at underage levels would have thought he would be the sort of player that Benny has gone on to be.

Wouldn't think it would be accurate to Walsh in this category. He did play championship football for Down for years, not sure when he started, 00? 01? Played at CHF for years, got man of the match vs Cavan one year, got trialled for the International Rules. Dropped from the county team in 08. Thats an 8year county career which isn't bad I wouldn't think. He won 6 county championships in that time too.

bridgegael

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Jinxy

Was Walsh a bit slow for senior county football?
At running I mean.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: EagleLord on July 20, 2011, 12:19:55 PM

But one player who really frustrated me was Michael Walsh. He was in the same Mayobridge kids team as Benny Coulter. Mayobridge started building that team at u-10s. Back then Walsh was the absolute star, Benny was seen (even then) as having all the talent he needed to go to eventually go to the top of the game, but Walsh was seen as the future star of the team. He went on to win the 1999 minor All-Ireland same year as Coulter, Sexton & Grant from that same u-10 group. But that was the end of him really, never made the grade at senior level and its hard to tell why. Such a pity, anyone who saw him at underage levels would have thought he would be the sort of player that Benny has gone on to be.

Wouldn't think it would be accurate to Walsh in this category. He did play championship football for Down for years, not sure when he started, 00? 01? Played at CHF for years, got man of the match vs Cavan one year, got trialled for the International Rules. Dropped from the county team in 08. Thats an 8year county career which isn't bad I wouldn't think. He won 6 county championships in that time too.

I would put Walsh very firmly in this category.  I remember when he came into the Abbey and at that stage he was going to be Mickey Linden and Greg Blaney combined he was that good.  His ball skills were unreal and his score taking was second to none.  He was I think 3 years below me in school but they were talking about him playing Mcrory in 3rd year he was that good.  The problem he had and the reason he wasn't playing McRory at that age was that he was very small and light.  My belief is that either through his own decision or more likely through the "advice" of Val Kane he went onto a very heavy weights programme to bulk up and put a lot of emphasis on heavy lifting for his legs.  this resulted I believe in a weakening of his lower back which contributed to his constant problems with his hamstring and also to his lose of pace.  If he had let himself develop naturally he would now be, imo, one of the best CHFs in the game and would be a mainstay today in the Down team.  Only my opinion of course.

Brick Tamlin

Biggest mistake he made was goin to the Abbey. That craic would never been allowed to happen in The College, would have had McCrory and Hogan medals too  ;)

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on July 20, 2011, 01:08:15 PM
Biggest mistake he made was goin to the Abbey. That craic would never been allowed to happen in The College, would have had McCrory and Hogan medals too  ;)

You're right there too, if only :'(

PAULD123

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 20, 2011, 01:04:46 PM
I would put Walsh very firmly in this category.  I remember when he came into the Abbey and at that stage he was going to be Mickey Linden and Greg Blaney combined he was that good.  His ball skills were unreal and his score taking was second to none.  He was I think 3 years below me in school but they were talking about him playing Mcrory in 3rd year he was that good.  The problem he had and the reason he wasn't playing McRory at that age was that he was very small and light.  My belief is that either through his own decision or more likely through the "advice" of Val Kane he went onto a very heavy weights programme to bulk up and put a lot of emphasis on heavy lifting for his legs.  this resulted I believe in a weakening of his lower back which contributed to his constant problems with his hamstring and also to his lose of pace.  If he had let himself develop naturally he would now be, imo, one of the best CHFs in the game and would be a mainstay today in the Down team.  Only my opinion of course.

Sadly that is all too indicative of the Abbey at that time. So many lads went through that school in the 80's & 90s that could have gone on to be top county players but in the end never made it because their football education was ruined by 7 years bad coaching. So not Just Michael Walsh but you could pretty much just put the whole Abbey McCrory team from 86 onwards in this category.

In fact how many Abbey players were significant for Down since say their McCrory win in 86? Obviously McKernan captained them, did Danny Hughes go there?

muppet

I thought Colman's won Hogan in 86 and Abbey in 88.
MWWSI 2017

PAULD123

brokencrossbar1

Sexton, Dee Rafferty and Danny Hughes were all in the same year as Walsh.  Shane Mulholland was a strong player for Down.  You've mentioned McKernan.  The irony is that the Abbey had more Armagh players over the last 25 odd years than Down players.  Oisin,McEntees, O'Rourkes, McGeeney, and Barry Duffy were all former pupils on the 2002 team, then there were 2 more O'Rourkes, Shannon,Dyas and Tony Kernanfrom more recent vintage.  Aaron Kernan also dabbled with the Abbey but only for a short time.

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

mountainboii

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 20, 2011, 02:16:30 PM
Sexton, Dee Rafferty and Danny Hughes were all in the same year as Walsh.  Shane Mulholland was a strong player for Down.  You've mentioned McKernan.  The irony is that the Abbey had more Armagh players over the last 25 odd years than Down players.  Oisin,McEntees, O'Rourkes, McGeeney, and Barry Duffy were all former pupils on the 2002 team, then there were 2 more O'Rourkes, Shannon,Dyas and Tony Kernanfrom more recent vintage.  Aaron Kernan also dabbled with the Abbey but only for a short time.

You forgot the most recent Armagh Abbey graduate.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AFS on July 20, 2011, 02:28:42 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 20, 2011, 02:16:30 PM

You forgot the most recent Armagh Abbey graduate.

So I did I never even think of Jamie being in the Abbey.  Too long after my time :D

Puckoon

He would have been the same age group as us all the way through ulster colleges. Was a phenomenal talent - that just never transposed itself onto his senior intercounty career.

screenexile

Quote from: Puckoon on July 20, 2011, 08:03:28 PM

He would have been the same age group as us all the way through ulster colleges. Was a phenomenal talent - that just never transposed itself onto his senior intercounty career.

Same here .... I always remember playing against him and Danny Hughes (Who if I remember correctly was absolutely tiny and must have grown at least a foot after he was 17). He gave Kevin McGuckin an awful roasting one day when we played them, Hughes was decent but his size meant he never really caused too many problems.