Footballers with potential but never quite made it

Started by Gael85, December 24, 2010, 05:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

I remember in the rannafast, or maybe the one year they took one of the fastest players in the squad - who wasn't a natural ball player and just had him mark Walsh. I think it worked to an extent.

NP 76

Quote from: muppet on July 20, 2011, 02:03:44 PM
I thought Colman's won Hogan in 86 and Abbey in 88.
Abbey in 88 are you sure???

muppet

Quote from: NP 76 on July 20, 2011, 09:13:28 PM

They beat Mels in the final. Mels won it in 87.

MWWSI 2017

muppet

They (or was it Colman's again) beat Mels in the final. Mels won the Hogan in 87.

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Sorry my mistake.

I think Mel's beat Abbey in the 87 semi-final.
Colman's then beat Mel's in the 88 final.

I think.

MWWSI 2017

NP 76

Abbey only won one Hogan in 2006 Kevin Mc Kernan was captain i think . Someone mentioned James mc Cartans brother Brian earlier his other brother Charlie Pat was not bad either but had alot of injuries

irunthev

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 20, 2011, 01:54:19 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 20, 2011, 01:04:46 PM
I would put Walsh very firmly in this category.  I remember when he came into the Abbey and at that stage he was going to be Mickey Linden and Greg Blaney combined he was that good.  His ball skills were unreal and his score taking was second to none.  He was I think 3 years below me in school but they were talking about him playing Mcrory in 3rd year he was that good.  The problem he had and the reason he wasn't playing McRory at that age was that he was very small and light.  My belief is that either through his own decision or more likely through the "advice" of Val Kane he went onto a very heavy weights programme to bulk up and put a lot of emphasis on heavy lifting for his legs.  this resulted I believe in a weakening of his lower back which contributed to his constant problems with his hamstring and also to his lose of pace.  If he had let himself develop naturally he would now be, imo, one of the best CHFs in the game and would be a mainstay today in the Down team.  Only my opinion of course.

Sadly that is all too indicative of the Abbey at that time. So many lads went through that school in the 80's & 90s that could have gone on to be top county players but in the end never made it because their football education was ruined by 7 years bad coaching. So not Just Michael Walsh but you could pretty much just put the whole Abbey McCrory team from 86 onwards in this category.

In fact how many Abbey players were significant for Down since say their McCrory win in 86? Obviously McKernan captained them, did Danny Hughes go there?

I don't know a whole lot about this subject but I do know one of the players on that Abbey team and when he showed me the photo of the team a few years ago, I was shocked by how few of them went on to establish any sort of reputation.

bcarrier

Brian Conlon - bust his knee at Sigerson in 85 or 86. The biggest loss to Down football of his generation.

NP 76

Quote from: bcarrier on July 22, 2011, 10:43:15 PM
Brian Conlon - bust his knee at Sigerson in 85 or 86. The biggest loss to Down football of his generation.
Yes class player doing pretty well for himself now but still a big football man from what i hear

onefaircounty

Would anyone have a team sheet for the Abbey and St Colman's from the years mentioned, particuarly the Abbey one with Duffy, McEntees, O'Rourke et al?

5 Sams

Quote from: bcarrier on July 22, 2011, 10:43:15 PM

+1 Played on the same team as him in the Abbey...an exceptional talent. An exceptional business man now..fair play to him....employs hundreds of people and hasnt forgotten his roots.
The Aristocrat Years