Paul Galvin

Started by redandblackareback, December 21, 2010, 01:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keane

I wouldn't think there's anything intrinsic to people inside the imaginary lines that make Kilkenny or Tipp that make their people with natural talent for hurling levels above those born inside other imaginary lines with natural talent for hurling. I'm sure there are people from Kerry to Kuala Lumpur born with the intrinsic pace, strength, hand-eye coordination etc to be marvellous hurlers, the difference is how that talent gets looked after.

From that POV I'm sure Galvin was an extremely talented hurler, but I would seriously doubt he would have looked like he belonged in a top class Intercounty match.

AZOffaly

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 02, 2014, 12:28:57 AM
At the risk of sounding like a name dropper..... ;) ;). I was talking to Jimmy Deenihan today...he tried to convince me that in his day Galvin's hurlin skills would have put him in the same league as the Tipp and Kilkenny lads. Any thoughts from the North Kerry lads on here? Found it hard to believe.

He was good, very good by Kerry standards..but that's a massive exaggeration by Jimmy. If he grew up in Kilkenny or somewhere sure..but he never even played hurling in UCC and he wouldn't have been a Fitz player if he did.
Maybe some people still don't realise this but Galvin and Fitzmaurice are from Lixnaw. There is no football played in Lixnaw, hurling only. It's on the dividing line of that hurling enclave in North East Kerry. Galvin would be about 7-8 miles from Finuge which is where he played his football. He even went to secondary school in Causeway Comp which is predominantly hurling. It's part of the reason he was a bit of a late developer in football.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

orangeman

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on October 02, 2014, 07:44:37 PM
At the risk of sounding like a name dropper..... ;) ;). I was talking to Jimmy Deenihan today...he tried to convince me that in his day Galvin's hurlin skills would have put him in the same league as the Tipp and Kilkenny lads. Any thoughts from the North Kerry lads on here? Found it hard to believe.

He was good, very good by Kerry standards..but that's a massive exaggeration by Jimmy. If he grew up in Kilkenny or somewhere sure..but he never even played hurling in UCC and he wouldn't have been a Fitz player if he did.
Maybe some people still don't realise this but Galvin and Fitzmaurice are from Lixnaw. There is no football played in Lixnaw, hurling only. It's on the dividing line of that hurling enclave in North East Kerry. Galvin would be about 7-8 miles from Finuge which is where he played his football. He even went to secondary school in Causeway Comp which is predominantly hurling. It's part of the reason he was a bit of a late developer in football.

Imagine how good he'd have been had he been football only ?. Galvin was and is a serious talent.

theticklemister

Quote from: orangeman on October 03, 2014, 12:09:04 AM

Imagine how good he'd have been had he been football only ?. Galvin was and is a serious talent.

The old clothes melarkey has hindered his football career alright

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: theticklemister on October 03, 2014, 06:22:40 AM
Quote from: orangeman on October 03, 2014, 12:09:04 AM

The old clothes melarkey has hindered his football career alright

I'd say it's not the only thing that 'hindered' him...

muppet

The red shoes diaries.............
MWWSI 2017

brokencrossbar1

Miss Duffy wore wore red shoes in a number of photos when I was stalking sorry researching her photos so maybe it is a theme they have (or maybe she only has 1 pair of shoes!!!)

Jinxy

I have to say, he's done very well for himself has Paul.
Louise Duffy is probably the only person on Irish radio I actually enjoy listening to.
Lovely genuine personality and a great sense of humour as well.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on October 03, 2014, 12:58:55 PM
I have to say, he's done very well for himself has Paul.
Louise Duffy is probably the only person on Irish radio I actually enjoy listening to.
Lovely genuine personality and a great sense of humour as well.

I have no idea who she is, but I agree looking at her picture.
MWWSI 2017

5 Sams

Galvin on the Late Late tonight apparently..
The Aristocrat Years

rodney trotter

http://t.co/ZBPGf7P4LD

Three-time All Star Paul Galvin has re-joined the Kerry senior football squad and resumed training.

Éamonn Fitzmaurice said that Galvin would be training with the squad on Tuesday evening.

Galvin, who has won four All-Ireland titles, three National League medals and seven Munster Championships with the Kingdom, retired last February.

The 35-year-old's glittering inter-county career was pock-marked by controversy, including a six-month ban in 2008 for slapping the notebook from referee Paddy Russell's hands and an eight-week ban in 2010 for an incident involving Cork's Eoin Cadogan.

More recently, he was attacked with a hurley while playing for his club Lixnaw in the Kerry senior hurling final in September.

Frank Casey

http://hoganstand.com/Common/NewGallery/inp00715724.jpg

Noel O'Leary being sent for urgently by Cork Management

Pairc Ui Rinn next Sunday at 2.00pm - we've missed this......................
KERRY 3:7

yellowcard

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 03, 2015, 07:24:15 PM
http://t.co/ZBPGf7P4LD

Three-time All Star Paul Galvin has re-joined the Kerry senior football squad and resumed training.

Éamonn Fitzmaurice said that Galvin had trained with the squad on Tuesday evening.

Galvin, who has won four All-Ireland titles, three National League medals and seven Munster Championships with the Kingdom, retired last February.

The 35-year-old's glittering inter-county career was pock-marked by controversy, including a six-month ban in 2008 for slapping the notebook from referee Paddy Russell's hands and an eight-week ban in 2010 for an incident involving Cork's Eoin Cadogan.

More recently, he was attacked with a hurley while playing for his club Lixnaw in the Kerry senior hurling final in September.

I find it very strange that after winning an AI with a fresh team last year that Fitzmaurice has gone back and recalled a 35 year old who struggled to win a place on the team before finally retiring at the start of last year. What next, Tomas O'Se to make a return also? Can he really improve an all Ireland winning team at 35 years of age?

rodney trotter

Yeah strange enough, but he will add more strength and depth to panel. It will be 3 new additions to the team/ panel, with Walsh and Cooper. I thought he was fairly impressive in his last apperance against Dublin in 2013. He would be naturally fit anyway, shouldn't make a big difference at 35.

He probaly regrets retiring and didn't think Sam was possible last year after O Se and Brosnan retiring.