Champions League (Last 16)

Started by sammymaguire, December 17, 2010, 11:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

this was a quote on BBC Sport Website

Real Madrid goal: Bish bash bosh and Real Madrid are certainties for the last eight for the first time since 2004.

Holy shit, 7 years. Never would have thought it.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

clarshack

would put the last 8 in this order:

barcelona
real madrid
inter milan
chelsea
man utd
shalke
spurs
shaktar

as a neutral i would like to see a real madrid v man utd pairing in the 1/4 finals.

Minder

Shaktar are better than some might think, I think they are better than Schalke and Spuds.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Quote from: Minder on March 16, 2011, 09:44:47 PM
Shaktar are better than some might think, I think they are better than Schalke and Spuds.

Agreed. Away leg will be difficult over there. They're very wealthy and buy a shed load of Brazilians every year.

clarshack

didnt fulham knock them out of europe last year - not sure if they are that great tbh. having said that - shaktar, shalke and spurs are making up the numbers in the last eight.

then again maybe all the teams apart from barca and real are making up the numbers?

Orangemac

On paper hard to see who will beat Barcelona. Having said that if Bendtner had stuck that chance away they would be out despite all their posession and chances v Arsenal.

Would agree that none of the 3 Ss mentioned will win it.

Neither Utd or Chelsea are playing particularly well, Unless Torres rediscovers his form quickly I would rule Chelsea out particularly with Bosiwinga at RB.

If Utd get Vidic back they will improve defensively and there are signs Rooney is coming back to himself. You just can't see them getting much of the ball v Barca.

gallsman

Quote from: clarshack on March 16, 2011, 09:51:37 PM

didnt fulham knock them out of europe last year - not sure if they are that great tbh. having said that - shaktar, shalke and spurs are making up the numbers in the last eight.

then again maybe all the teams apart from barca and real are making up the numbers?

Irrelevant. United got knocked out of the FA Cup by Leeds last year ffs.

They have earned their spot in the last 8 and teams should not take them likely.

Hoof Hearted

On a side note, schalke sacked their Manager today with the team 10th in the league and awaiting a 1/4 final draw. Holy fcuk, what is he supposed to do.

Must be ruthless in Germany.

Van Gaal won the double with Bayern last year and lost the CL final and he is under pressure too.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

David McKeown

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on March 16, 2011, 10:26:41 PM
On a side note, schalke sacked their Manager today with the team 10th in the league and awaiting a 1/4 final draw. Holy fcuk, what is he supposed to do.

Heard this too but 5 live were saying about 20 minutes ago that it had been misreported and that he was still in the job
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

gallsman

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on March 16, 2011, 10:26:41 PM

Must be ruthless in Germany.

Van Gaal won the double with Bayern last year and lost the CL final and he is under pressure too.

Already been announced that he won't be there next season. The Bundesliga is set for a managerial merry-go-round in the summer.

clarshack

Quote from: gallsman on March 16, 2011, 10:21:13 PM

They have earned their spot in the last 8 and teams should not take them likely.

they've added eduardo up front - he's not exactly a world beater is he?

could you see them knocking out chelsea or utd?

experience alone will beat shaktar now.

their best chance to progress is to draw shalke or spurs imo.

Over the Bar

Why does everyone think Barca are invincible?  Over two legs half the other quarter finalists are well capable of beating them.

gallsman

Quote from: clarshack on March 16, 2011, 11:11:49 PM

That's not my point. My point was that if teams underestimate them and take a match for granted, then yes, they could beat them.

clarshack

Quote from: gallsman on March 16, 2011, 11:26:02 PM
Quote from: clarshack on March 16, 2011, 11:11:49 PM

That's not my point. My point was that if teams underestimate them and take a match for granted, then yes, they could beat them.

ok - i'll admit they wont be a pushover but i think they might be happy just being in the 1/4 finals this year.

i do think they are a team for the future (especially with the money aspect of it) - just not now.

clarshack

Quote from: Over the Bar on March 16, 2011, 11:20:16 PM
Why does everyone think Barca are invincible?  Over two legs half the other quarter finalists are well capable of beating them.

none of the teams left are invincible - its just that barcelona play the best football and have so much possession that it always makes them favourites.

not even the great AC Milan team of the late 1980's and early 1990's were invincible - though they werent far off it!