S.P.O.T.Y 2011 - Anyone give a **** this year ?

Started by Hoof Hearted, December 15, 2010, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

So are we talking one alleged case or many?

Puckoon

Oh I dont know, I was just putting in my understanding on the whiter than white view of Mr Giggs.

If either of them were true it hardly matters though, right?

magpie seanie

I agree, its not the major issue. From my point of view the issue was saying Giggs award was a joke was unfair and incorrect.

bennydorano

It was a joke of an award, Tyroneboi called it right, a lifetime achievement award would have been a better call and even then, why would Giggs be more deserving than Scholes for example?  I've always said that if Scholes hadn't been an overly shy , very normal looking guy he would've been lauded a la Beckham (who isn't fit to lace his boots IMO), I always thought it was telling that Figo and Zidane picked him out as united's main man.

Eddie Stobart

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 20, 2010, 09:45:05 PM
So are we talking one alleged case or many?

So its ok if he just done it the once then? Sure we all make mistakes sort of thing?
Quote from: bennydorano on December 20, 2010, 10:03:38 PM
It was a joke of an award, Tyroneboi called it right, a lifetime achievement award would have been a better call and even then, why would Giggs be more deserving than Scholes for example?  I've always said that if Scholes hadn't been an overly shy , very normal looking guy he would've have been lauded a la Beckham (who isn't fit to lace his boots IMO), I always thought it was always telling that Figo and Zidane picked him out as united's main man.

I agree it was a joke of a award,yes he deserved something like a lifetime achievement award but not Sportsman of the year award.

magpie seanie

Just like AP McCoy so I suppose.

bennydorano

It's clearly not, AP is still top of his game, Giggs isn't nor hasn't been for quite a while., hence why his award was an award for past glories. Take the man utd blinkers off , just the once even. 

nrico2006

Quote from: bennydorano on December 20, 2010, 10:03:38 PM
It was a joke of an award, Tyroneboi called it right, a lifetime achievement award would have been a better call and even then, why would Giggs be more deserving than Scholes for example?  I've always said that if Scholes hadn't been an overly shy , very normal looking guy he would've been lauded a la Beckham (who isn't fit to lace his boots IMO), I always thought it was telling that Figo and Zidane picked him out as united's main man.

Henry also said it too.  As for allegations about Giggs hitting women, thats just trash talk that probably originated from Liverpool or the blue half of Manchester.

I was just looking at the list of previous winners for the lifetime achievement award, and I have to admit I find it shambolic that Beckham has got this award at his age when you look at the list of previous winners and what they achieved.  Beckham has hardly achieved anything extraordinary as a sportsman, but I guess the Beckham circus is more powerful than I thought as I also see talk of him being knighted - for what exactly?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

Quote from: bennydorano on December 21, 2010, 12:03:33 AM
It's clearly not, AP is still top of his game, Giggs isn't nor hasn't been for quite a while., hence why his award was an award for past glories. Take the man utd blinkers off , just the once even.

Its you who needs to take the blinkers off. Giggs was actually playing very well, enjoying an Indian summer if you will as evidenced by him winning the PFA player of the year award that year.

Agree about Beckham. The 4th best player in that great United midfield of the late 90's/early 2000's but England's darling. He is probably going to get a knighthood from the British Queen as well.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: bennydorano on December 21, 2010, 12:03:33 AM
:D There is more chance of Wayne Rooney giving up aul whores than that happening.
I do agree yer man AP winning and Giggs winning is totally different,even if I think GMac was more deserving than this McCoy fella.
Giggs might have deserved something like the award Beckam got but not the Sportsman of the year award or whatever its called,its a pity those red tinted goggles are so hard to remove from the day tripper Man United fan though... 
You'll Never Walk Alone.

bcarrier

McCoy had probably his best season since taking the JP job ( and dough) so it was very much a now or never year for him. I dont think he is going to be riding for many more years ... he recently mentioned quitting when getting to twice Dunwoody's total ...barring injury that should happen  before end of 2011-12 season. He redefined the life of NH jockey ..much as his old boss Pipe changed training.

Not being deliberately contrary but IMO the WL ride at Cheltenham in 2009 wasnt in top 3 rides that week .

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: bcarrier on December 21, 2010, 09:16:57 PM
McCoy had probably his best season since taking the JP job ( and dough) so it was very much a now or never year for him. I dont think he is going to be riding for many more years ... he recently mentioned quitting when getting to twice Dunwoody's total ...barring injury that should happen  before end of 2011-12 season. He redefined the life of NH jockey ..much as his old boss Pipe changed training.

Not being deliberately contrary but IMO the WL ride at Cheltenham in 2009 wasnt in top 3 rides that week .

Agreed. I'm probably biased after backing that feckin Maljimar though!

I'd say McCoy will probably keep going until he hits the 40 mark. I think like Dunwoody, he'll find it very hard to adapt to life outside the game. Dunwoody was only forced into retirement because of his back injuries and he's found it very difficult. The only reason he embarks on these crazy challenges like treking to the South Pole is trying to fill that void in his life. McCoy thrives on the day to day grind of riding winners. A six hour drive up the motorway in the middle of January to boot home some yack in a sh1tty race at Carlisle or Hexham is manna from heaven to McCoy. Being champion is all that matters to him. The big race wins just seem to be a bonus. I couldn't see him doing what both Walsh and Geraghty do and just cherry pick the best rides either side of the Irish Sea.

I'd be very surprised if McCoy didn't remain in the game in some capacity. Trainer probably.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

beer baron

Felt the Wichita lineman ride was excellent,the horse tried plough himself through every fence if memory serves me correctly,remember having it backed and thinking he'd be pulled up!

A ride of Mc coys i felt didn't get any of the sort of recognition it deserved was Albertas run in the 2009 Ryanair,told my brother to back it and didn't back it myself  ::),think it won at 20/1 or 16/1  :-[

So happy to see him win it - absolute hero!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: beer baron on December 21, 2010, 09:59:32 PM
Felt the Wichita lineman ride was excellent,the horse tried plough himself through every fence if memory serves me correctly,remember having it backed and thinking he'd be pulled up!

Have a look at Timmy Murphy's ride on the same horse on his previous run at Chepstow on the ATR video archive. Completely different style but as good as if not better than McCoy's ride IMO.

The best ride of that Cheltenham by a country mile was Jamie Codd on Character Building. It was one of the best rides I've ever seen at the festival, up there with JT McNamara on Rith Dubh - both amateur riders strangely enough.

I think McCoy's greatest ever ride was when he somehow managed to beat Istabraq on Pridwell at Liverpool.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

leaveherinsir

Well done to McCoy, even if did think McDowell beforehand! While watching the programme, i did think Jessica Ennis was probably the best sportsperson of them all, to be so good at all those athletic disciplines i believe is what makes a true sportsperson. Its a pity athletics has became so tainted by drugs. Well done to HoofHearted on starting a good thread here!