S.P.O.T.Y 2011 - Anyone give a **** this year ?

Started by Hoof Hearted, December 15, 2010, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

McCoy getting this is exactly the same as Giggs last year. Absolute living legend of their sport for 15-20 years, one of the most decorated in history, yet have never won this award so they get it.

Obviously when one plays for Manchester United its a farce but its blind eye time (with one exception on this thead so far) otherwise.

Not a racing fan myself and quite like McDowell. I think the fact that he is not the best golfer in the world makes his acheivements with the US Open and Ryder Cup all the more remarkable. There are arguments from many angles on these awards and that's what the organisers want.

deiseach

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 20, 2010, 12:22:28 AM
I salute AP but that was a piss poor number of total votes for a country the size of the UK.

He won it by at least 8 lengths which was great.

Beckham took more of the adulation - and some of the punters on football365 never heard of him (McCoy that is).

You make a good point about the number of votes. Sports Personality of the Year is hardly essential viewing now that we have 24 hour sport, especially since about five minutes of that is on the Beeb. As for people not having heard of him though, horse racing simply isn't that popular. Even McCoy referred to it when he said there were more people in the press room than would have been at the meeting he missed due to the weather. I mean, Ffos Las?

Eddie Stobart

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 20, 2010, 02:17:28 PM

Not a racing fan myself and quite like McDowell. I think the fact that he is not the best golfer in the world makes his acheivements with the US Open and Ryder Cup all the more remarkable..
Agree with that

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 20, 2010, 02:17:28 PM
McCoy getting this is exactly the same as Giggs last year. Absolute living legend of their sport for 15-20 years, one of the most decorated in history, yet have never won this award so they get it.

Obviously when one plays for Manchester United its a farce but its blind eye time (with one exception on this thead so far) otherwise.

Can't agree with this. Tony McCoy was Champion Jockey last season and is miles clear again this term. Also out of the three most prestigious races in the jumps calendar (Champion Hurdle, Cheltenham Gold Cup, Aintree National) McCoy rode the winner of two and came second in the other.

He probably has deserved it other times in the past. 1997 and 2002 stand out. However I don't think it's comparable with Ryan Giggs. It's not like Tony McCoy had a so so year and only deserves the award for past achievements over his entire career.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

The Real Laoislad

Horse racing me arse,I'd rather watch paint dry.
Not that I care which British sportsman won this British award but McDowell has been brilliant this year.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ludermor

You might prefer watching paint dry to horse but im sure there are as many, if not more ho would say the same about golf!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ludermor on December 20, 2010, 05:05:29 PM
You might prefer watching paint dry to horse but im sure there are as many, if not more ho would say the same about golf!

But they would be wrong..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Hoof Hearted

i see Stephen Watson has just claimed Barry McGuigan has being from Northern Ireland. HAs Clones moved ?
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

bennydorano

Well done AP, a thoroughly deserved award.

To compare it to Gigg's is laughable, if a Man Utd player was nominated every year, they'd probably win it every year as they'd be voted for in their droves by their drones.   

haranguerer

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on December 20, 2010, 06:52:28 PM
i see Stephen Watson has just claimed Barry McGuigan has being from Northern Ireland. HAs Clones moved ?

He brought the world title back to Fermanagh you'll find  ;)

magpie seanie

Ryan Giggs is the most decorated player in the history of the most popular sport in Britain. On top of that he is a model professional, has avoided "being a bad role model" and seems a genuinely decent down to earth bloke. If that's a joke then your standards must be pretty high.

tyroneboi

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 20, 2010, 08:46:46 PM
Ryan Giggs is the most decorated player in the history of the most popular sport in Britain. On top of that he is a model professional, has avoided "being a bad role model" and seems a genuinely decent down to earth bloke. If that's a joke then your standards must be pretty high.

Well then give him a lifetime achievement award like D-Beck got. The clue is in the title - sports personality of the YEAR and Giggs shouldnt have got it last year.

bennydorano

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 20, 2010, 08:46:46 PM
Have there not been episodes of hitting girls and affairs (of the heart) during his decent bloke, down to earth, model professional years??

magpie seanie

Have there? You tell me.

I suppose he's no David Beckham.  ::)

Puckoon

I do think a number of years ago he was splashed across the tabloids for allegedly hitting his girlfriend IIRC.