S.P.O.T.Y 2011 - Anyone give a **** this year ?

Started by Hoof Hearted, December 15, 2010, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Mustard

Quote from: leaveherinsir on December 24, 2010, 05:23:53 PM
Quote from: deiseach on December 24, 2010, 03:09:31 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 24, 2010, 02:56:12 PM
Perfect example would be the 15 December just gone. Fairyhouse staged one of the best cards ever held in Ireland with four Grade 1s, a Grade 2 and a Grade 3. McManus had a few runners on the card but they were mostly outsiders - Kempes, Head Of The Posse, Jered. McCoy would have easily picked up some decent spares in the other races though. He decided instead to go to a poor card at Bangor where he was be riding far lesser horses, but he had a far greater chance of a winner. He rode one winner over that card - a horse called Backspin in a novices hurdle worth £3,500 to the winner. He would have earned an awful lot more from riding a few horses to finish midfield at Fairyhouse but it's the lure of a winner that motivates the man.
I dont wish to denigrate McCoy, he is obviously an extremely driven individual and a talented sportsman, but i would have thought he would want to ride the winners in the big races. Could he not try and use his skills to drag one of the outsiders to a win? Going back to the title of this thread, this would be like McDowell missing out on one of the golfing majors to play in something like the Irish PGA tournament, because he had a better chance of winning. Maybe this is an unfair comparison, but im not a horse racing expert by any means, or a golfing one either for that matter
Interesting insight into an interesting man. Much obliged.
??? Your quoting has confused me. You seem to be contradicting yourself. AP does ride in the big races. He is also not often on the best horses. Does this answer your question?

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Pat Mustard on December 31, 2010, 01:35:32 PM
Quote from: leaveherinsir on December 24, 2010, 05:23:53 PM
Quote from: deiseach on December 24, 2010, 03:09:31 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 24, 2010, 02:56:12 PM
Perfect example would be the 15 December just gone. Fairyhouse staged one of the best cards ever held in Ireland with four Grade 1s, a Grade 2 and a Grade 3. McManus had a few runners on the card but they were mostly outsiders - Kempes, Head Of The Posse, Jered. McCoy would have easily picked up some decent spares in the other races though. He decided instead to go to a poor card at Bangor where he was be riding far lesser horses, but he had a far greater chance of a winner. He rode one winner over that card - a horse called Backspin in a novices hurdle worth £3,500 to the winner. He would have earned an awful lot more from riding a few horses to finish midfield at Fairyhouse but it's the lure of a winner that motivates the man.
I dont wish to denigrate McCoy, he is obviously an extremely driven individual and a talented sportsman, but i would have thought he would want to ride the winners in the big races. Could he not try and use his skills to drag one of the outsiders to a win? Going back to the title of this thread, this would be like McDowell missing out on one of the golfing majors to play in something like the Irish PGA tournament, because he had a better chance of winning. Maybe this is an unfair comparison, but im not a horse racing expert by any means, or a golfing one either for that matter
Interesting insight into an interesting man. Much obliged.
??? Your quoting has confused me. You seem to be contradicting yourself. AP does ride in the big races. He is also not often on the best horses. Does this answer your question?
I made a bit of a "hames" of that quote alright! Would i be right in saying that for McCoy its a numbers games, the more winners the better regardless of the quality  of the race/horses.  This is were golf differs i suppose, there is a far greater emphasis on the four majors. Take Colin Montgomerie for instance i think he won the order of merit 8 times on the trot yet he may well be remembered for never winning a major. Likewise McDowell didnt win the Order of merit this year but everyone was talking about his great season!

winghalfun

Rory McElroy is 4/5 to win. Still not a bad price at this stage. Worth a few £100 to help pay for Christmas. Think he was around 25/1 before the weekend.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: winghalfun on June 21, 2011, 11:32:58 AM
Rory McElroy is 4/5 to win. Still not a bad price at this stage. Worth a few £100 to help pay for Christmas. Think he was around 25/1 before the weekend.
Leave it until Wimbledon is over, if Murray happened to win there then the book would be closed.  He will get knocked out in the semi final I think.

heganboy

Dont forget there is another major coming up for wee Rory...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Ludraman

Quote from: Doogie Browser on June 21, 2011, 12:22:02 PM
Quote from: winghalfun on June 21, 2011, 11:32:58 AM
Leave it until Wimbledon is over, if Murray happened to win there then the book would be closed.  He will get knocked out in the semi final I think.

if murray wins wimbledon then scotland will leave de euro. it wud be dat big.

winghalfun

Didn't see that coming. Darren now 8/13 with Hills and Rory back out to 13/8. Shit, he wasn't even coming up on the rails, he clean jumped out of the sky.

Very interesting though that the betting is now a popularity contest as both golfers' achievements were outstanding in their own right.

It's a bit like Rocky 5 when Rocky has to smack down the young cocky pretender. Ah, well glad it was Darren I lost out to and not that Murray prat.

leaveherinsir

Who is going to win SPOTY 2011 then.
Change the thread title there Hoof Hearted, save me startin another one. Cheers :)

Id love to see Clarke win it, but not sure he will!!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: leaveherinsir on December 14, 2011, 08:14:01 PM
Change the thread title there Hoof Hearted, save me startin another one. Cheers :)

there you go.  ;)

Who's in it ? I mind hearing a big debate that there is no women in the list
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on December 14, 2011, 08:23:53 PM
Quote from: leaveherinsir on December 14, 2011, 08:14:01 PM

there you go.  ;)

Who's in it ? I mind hearing a big debate that there is no women in the list
:D :D
Heard that also, did they maybe add a woman after the furore? Couldnt be arsed to goggle it right now tho!!  :D :D

Hoof Hearted

Maybe they will give it to Zara Philips again

Andy Carroll and Fernando Torres are joint favs at the minute
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on December 14, 2011, 08:40:30 PM
Maybe they i will give it to Zara Philips again

Andy Carroll and Fernando Torres are joint favs at the minute
Ye dirty bastid!!  ;D

CAVENDISH - CYCLING
CLARKE - GOLF
COOK - CRICKET