when gstq is played in croke park remember aidan mc anespie

Started by true ulster gael, February 22, 2007, 06:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

behind the wire

i think sammy would be better off turning of his computer for good. the board would be a more respectful and sensible place.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

SlimShady

SlimShady

zoyler

lawnseed 2

nine pages of singing this or that. as a gael i only want the answer to one question 'how is an assoc. charged with the admin and promotion of gaelic sports and culture doing its job by facilitating the promotion of rugby and soccer we had these crowd beat to the wire. bigger crowds, better fields, better everything, they couldnt even pay for a ground to play their biggest crowd puller in. soccer clubs going bust everywhere and instead of putting our heel on the back of their heads and burying them we hand them a crutch and what do they do bounce back and beat us over the head with it.  'we' might be getting a few bob out of this caper but its gonna be expensive in the long run. btw a picture of aidan and a prayer was published in the northern standard last week. 

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: zoyler on February 26, 2007, 11:02:44 AM
GSTQ is the official anthem of the UK. However in sport Wales and Scotlanduse anthems of their own.  Land of Our Fathers - the Welsh one is as far as I know very old and a brilliant anthem which makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand when sung by a full Millenium Stasium.  Flower of Scotland is more recent and a bit of a dirge like Irelands Call.
I was sitting next to a block ful of Ulster men on Saturday and they did not sinf GSTQ but waited for Irelands Call.
However they did cause some minor annoyance when after Ivan Boss scored his try they started to sing and clap'Stand up for the Ulster men'  This did not go down very well as most felt it was a fifteen man All Ireland effort

Curious as to what's the difference between a regional song like "The Fields" and "Stand up for the Ulster men". One happens to be the anthem of Munster Rugby (why not Connacht I don't know), and one of Ulster. Seems like a bit of double standards to be getting annoyed by one and not the other, which got an even greater airing at Croker.

dublinfella

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 25, 2007, 07:43:03 PM
Don't know if this was asked before but it's a thought that crossed my mind yesterday during the Anthems.
If some or alot of  Ulster rugby fans are prodtestant im sure that means they consider themselves British which also means there national anthem is God save the Queen so i just wondered if these fans would have stood and sang GSTQ while it was being played for England yesterday even though they were there supporting Ireland? Just something i thought of i don't really care or have a opinion one way or the other just wondered

traditionally when Ireland play in Dublin its AnF and when Ireland played in Belfast its GStQ, away was always Danny Boy or Molly Malone.

thats was the compromise.....

but to the fury of the usual suspects when Ireland are due to play in Belfast for the first time since the 50's later this year, the IRFU have renaged on that deal and it will be IC only

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland_rugby#Controversy_over_flags_and_anthems

SlimShady

why isnt there an 'in your face' campaign to change it like there was for Football For f**k All? i mean Football For All...

surely you lot cant be happy standing there singing someone elses National Anthem.

SammyG

Quote from: SlimShady on February 27, 2007, 09:10:37 AM
why isnt there an 'in your face' campaign to change it like there was for Football For f**k All? i mean Football For All...

There is an on-going debate on the anthem.
Quote from: SlimShady on February 27, 2007, 09:10:37 AM
surely you lot cant be happy standing there singing someone elses National Anthem.

It's not somebody elses anthem, it's just not the appropriate anthem. At least it is the official anthem for NI, unlike say AnbF being played for an all-Ireland rugby team.  ;) As I've said many times, I tend to have an extra pint and arrive after the anthems.

I don't believe in god, don't support and unelected head of state and would prefer an NI specific anthem, so I'm not overly excited by GSTQ.

SlimShady

an extra pint at one of Windsors range of bars and hospitality suites?  :D

I feel sorry for you Sammy, honestly. You have absolutely no identity which is very sad.

SammyG

Quote from: SlimShady on February 27, 2007, 09:25:15 AM
an extra pint at one of Windsors range of bars and hospitality suites?  :D
No an extra pint at Hunters, the extensive bar facilities  :oat WP are closed, as per UEFA rules.
Quote from: SlimShady on February 27, 2007, 09:25:15 AM
I feel sorry for you Sammy, honestly. You have absolutely no identity which is very sad.

WTF are you on about? Because my identity doesn't match yours, surely it isn't any less valid?

SlimShady

you hang on to the identity of another Country ffs!!

i blame your bringing up, but its sadder to know that your poor weans are going to be brought up believing your oul nonsense.