when gstq is played in croke park remember aidan mc anespie

Started by true ulster gael, February 22, 2007, 06:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scalder

"partitionist anthem"

I don't agree its the anthem of the Irish nation, something that is not defined by the border. Its the anthem that which commands the respect of five sixths of the people on this island.

SammyG

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 25, 2007, 12:43:37 PM
Sammy. that 'cnut' O'Gara? Come off it. What, do you think he hates all Northern Unionists? Perhaps after standing for The Presidential Salute, the Intros, GSTQ, AnBhF he was beginning to stiffen up, or , God Forbid, get nervous. As the camera panned down the line for Ireland's Call, he was standing 'shoulder to shoulder' just like everything else.

Sometimes you just *want* to be offended Sammy. I suspect your problem with O'Gara has more to do with the fact that he supplanted your hero David Humphreys.

I found this on YouTube, and while I take your word that you saw O'Gara stretching or whatever, you can't pick it up here. Mountain and molehill spring to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ6-bYixpYE

I'm not and never have been a fan of O'Gara (and thought he was poor again yesterday) but before yesterday my dislike was purely on sporting grounds. His behaviour during Ireland's Call changed that. As I've already said if an English player had disrespected the anthems there would have been a major incident, why should it be any different for O'Gara? He has never (to my knowledge) done this before so why did he choose yesterdays 'historic' occaision to make his point? Playing to the gallery perhaps?

AZOffaly

Can you show me on the video where he disrespected Ireland's Call? I didn't see it when I was watching the game, and on BBC and RTE's respective coverages, I can't see it either.

pintsofguinness

QuoteOn a similar issue that cnut O'Gara should be hauled over the coals for his behaviour yesterday. Dancing about and doing stretches during Ireland's Call, if one of the English lads had done it, there would have (quie rightly) been a major diplomatic incident.

sammy what the f**k are you talking about?  I've it recorded from the RTE and I threw in the DVD there, O'Gara was standing with his arms around his team mates throughout Ireland's call, it showed his several times and he was the last face they showed coming up to the end of the song, I dont know when he was stretching or dancing about!

QuoteI'm not and never have been a fan of O'Gara (and thought he was poor again yesterday)
:D
You're taking the piss!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

balladmaker

QuoteBalladmaker - there is a very simple reason the Irish National Anthem isn't played abroad and that is because it is not the anthem for the Northern Protestants and out of sympathy with their beliefs Irelands Call is used....

Well, the team that is playing is called 'IRELAND'.  The National Anthem of Ireland is Amhrán na bhFiann, so if the northern protestants, of whom there is one actually a regular on the team, have a problem with standing to Ireland's national anthem, I suggest that is a problem on their part and not a problem with the Irish Anthem.

Amhrán na bhFiann should be played at every Irish game, home or abroad.  Anyone who has a problem with this should take their bigoted views elsewhere!

If the Northern Protestants see fit to stand to Amhrán na bhFiann in Dublin, then there should not be a problem standing to it in Murrayfield, Paris, Cardiff or Twickenham...

I don't care if they then go on to sing The Sash or Dolly's Brae's afterwards, so long as the National Anthem of Ireland is sung i.e. Amhrán na bhFiann

thewobbler

QuoteAmhrán na bhFiann should be played at every Irish game, home or abroad.  Anyone who has a problem with this should take their bigoted views elsewhere!
BM - Could you honestly not sense the irony in this when you were writing it?

AZOffaly

balladmaker, I know you are probably just on the rise, but even so.

Amhrán na bhFiann is the national Anthem of the Republic of Ireland.
The IRFU representative team is just that; a representative selection of players in the IRFU, not the Republic of Ireland.
A significant percentage of that team come from another country.

Hence the anthem Amhrán na bhFiann cannot be said to represent them, even if we wish otherwise.

balladmaker

QuoteBM - Could you honestly not sense the irony in this when you were writing it?

No, as I do not consider Amhrán na bhFiann to be bigoted.

balladmaker

QuoteAmhrán na bhFiann is the national Anthem of the Republic of Ireland.
The IRFU representative team is just that; a representative selection of players in the IRFU, not the Republic of Ireland.
A significant percentage of that team come from another country.

So by that logic, should we therefore stop the playing of Amhrán na bhFiann at all NFL or Ulster Championship games in the 6 counties?  That would go down well  :o

SammyG

Quote from: balladmaker on February 25, 2007, 03:16:20 PM
So by that logic, should we therefore stop the playing of Amhrán na bhFiann at all NFL or Ulster Championship games in the 6 counties?  That would go down well  :o

Sorry but how are those two things connected? The GAA can have whatever rules it wants. If the GAA decides to play a partitionist anthem, then fair play to it but why should the IRFU follow suit?

scalder

Republic of Ireland - no such place Offaly only in soccer

"another country" what? maybe from another juristiction - only Isaac Boss is from another country!

J70

Quote from: balladmaker on February 25, 2007, 03:10:05 PM
QuoteBM - Could you honestly not sense the irony in this when you were writing it?

No, as I do not consider Amhrán na bhFiann to be bigoted.

The point is that the anthem represents one cultural tradition, whereas the Irish rugby team represents two. Is it really that difficult, in this day and age, to understand the necessity for a neutral representative song?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: SammyG on February 25, 2007, 03:20:25 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on February 25, 2007, 03:16:20 PM

Sorry but how are those two things connected? The GAA can have whatever rules it wants. If the GAA decides to play a partitionist anthem, then fair play to it but why should the IRFU follow suit?
Sammy are you withdrawing your claims about O'Gara?  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Guillem2

The comments about O'Garra are a disgrace with no evidence to support them. I'm surprised at Sammy.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

SammyG

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 25, 2007, 04:02:41 PM
Sammy are you withdrawing your claims about O'Gara?  ::)

I'm not withdrawing either of my claims. He was poor and he bahaved disgracefully during Ireland's Call.