Payment to clubs for AFL draftees

Started by HeaveHo, December 11, 2010, 06:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeaveHo

I see the good folk of Roscommon want the AFL to pay clubs for players drafted into AFL teams. Good idea methinks. The AFL already pays football clubs in Australia when their players are drafted onto an AFL list. The WAFL (Western Australian) clubs get $36,000 (AUD) when their players get drafted onto the main list. If their players are rookie listed they get $15,000 (AUD). Given the AFL has pots of money (tens of millions) I don't think that is an unfair request especially as it already gets paid to Australian clubs. The GAA should say pay up or the IR fixture is off. If the clubs are earning something when their players are AFL listed the disappointment of seeing a young player change codes will be partially offset by some money to defray the costs of training the lad up.

BennyHarp

So how is the GAA going to stop players going if the AFL clubs don't pay?
That was never a square ball!!

isourboydownyet

it's a different sport,how could you ask a AFL club to pay up and not your local soccer or rugby club?

Eamonnca1

So if one AFL club reneges on the deal, the whole IR series is off? 

Very tricky to enforce this sort of thing. GAA players aren't serfs or professionals under contract. They're free to go where they want.  They're not the property of their GAA clubs.

HeaveHo

Quote from: isourboydownyet on December 11, 2010, 11:59:25 AM
it's a different sport,how could you ask a AFL club to pay up and not your local soccer or rugby club?

Pull the IR series.

AFL has a serious weakness when competing with other football codes in Australia - it doesn't have an international outlet for it's players (unlike football, riugby union and rugby league). I don't think it matters but the AFL thinks an international aspect is critical to convince young men to play AFL over the other codes. The international outlet is a bastardised verion of two codes that fails to enhance or properly showcase either code but it does give the players a chance to get misty eyed when the respective national athems are played and crap on about how proud they are turning out for their country. AFL is hard to play overseas due the size of the pitch unlike GAA games when can be played on soccer pitches with some modifications. 

Zapatista

All fomal links sould be cut not increased.

isourboydownyet

Quote from: HeaveHo on December 13, 2010, 03:12:13 AM
Quote from: isourboydownyet on December 11, 2010, 11:59:25 AM

Pull the IR series.

AFL has a serious weakness when competing with other football codes in Australia - it doesn't have an international outlet for it's players (unlike football, riugby union and rugby league). I don't think it matters but the AFL thinks an international aspect is critical to convince young men to play AFL over the other codes. The international outlet is a bastardised verion of two codes that fails to enhance or properly showcase either code but it does give the players a chance to get misty eyed when the respective national athems are played and crap on about how proud they are turning out for their country. AFL is hard to play overseas due the size of the pitch unlike GAA games when can be played on soccer pitches with some modifications.

i dont see how pulling th IR series will help,of all the players that are going over there at the minute how many actually played in the series?very few if any.

HiMucker

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 11, 2010, 11:13:56 AM
I am still looking at this thread for an answer on this question???
But me thinks there is no answer.

Zapatista

Quote from: HiMucker on December 14, 2010, 12:16:17 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on December 11, 2010, 11:13:56 AM
I am still looking at this thread for an answer on this question???
But me thinks there is no answer.

How can you stop them going anywhere and why would you stop them?

We need to constantly improve the GAA and give the players an attractive option. If they decide they want to go somewhere else then it doesn't really matter if it's the AFL or the moon.

BarryBreensBandage

The way things are going here - north and south - I'm surprised there is not a squad of GAA players looking to play Aussie Rules.
Another friend laid off this week, another started work in Carlisle last week.
Another friend back home from honeymoon in Australia - mountains of work there.
There will be no need for the AFL to pay - soon it may not be an option to stay at home if someone is offered a contract.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Bogball XV

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on December 16, 2010, 10:47:28 PM
The way things are going here - north and south - I'm surprised there is not a squad of GAA players looking to play Aussie Rules.
that's not a bad idea actually, it wouldn't surprise me to see it become a reality.

As for all this talk about afl paying gaa clubs, firstly, it's a really stupid idea.  Secondly, how could the payment of money recompense a club for losing a potential star player - is that what the gaa ethos has become?

Zapatista

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 17, 2010, 08:18:04 PM
that's not a bad idea actually, it wouldn't surprise me to see it become a reality.

As for all this talk about afl paying gaa clubs, firstly, it's a really stupid idea.  Secondly, how could the payment of money recompense a club for losing a potential star player - is that what the gaa ethos has become?

I would guess the reason for the idea would be to stop or atleast slow down the recruitment of players by the AFL rather than finance clubs.

Rossfan

What if a lad signs for an AFL club and they don't pay  anything to his (now former) GAA Club?

Tough luck GAA club I suspect.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublinfella

Quote from: Zapatista on December 18, 2010, 08:07:20 AM

I would guess the reason for the idea would be to stop or atleast slow down the recruitment of players by the AFL rather than finance clubs.

What an appallingly begrudging attitude. If a youngfella can make it as a pro in a sport, what right do you or anyone in the GAA have to try and stand in his way?

As was said before, you can't stop a kid trying his hand at a different sport, legally or morally.

I despair when people have this attitude. Why are people like you involved in the GAA?