Are Atheists the new outcasts?

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, December 11, 2010, 02:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

The term fundamentalist is a term normally attributed to Protestants, which I am not.
In fact it is well known in the Christian world that Fundamentalist Protestants and Catholics don't see eye to eye.

Amoung Catholics the term Fundamnetalist has been applied to members who follow the Clergy much the same as Fundamentalist Protestants follow the bible.

I fall into neither of these two categories.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Iceman

I do try to strictly adhere to the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and try to live out the Gospel as best as I can. I fall short everyday.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

saffron sam2

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 15, 2010, 12:58:43 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 15, 2010, 08:51:45 AM
From my, admittedly limited, experience the highest concentration of atheists appears to be among the OWC fanbase. Of all the owcers I've encountered here only one appeared to be a practising non-atheist. Strange when you consider the gusto with which they belt out the English national anthem about something they clearly don't believe in. I feel the true figures about owcers, which we'll find out in next year's census (coupled with what I have gleaned from EG et al.) will be something along the lines of.

92% - baptised member of a Protestant church who has become an atheist.
7% - Catholic.
0.99% - baptised member of a Protestant church who still practises that doctrine.
0.01% - self-styled intellectual giant trying to pass himself off as both a Catholic and a nationalist on the gaaboard, when in reality he is neither.
What do you mean by "the OWC fanbase" and "owcers"?

In general those who post on ourweecountry.co.uk, specifically those posters from ourweecountry.co.uk who also post here. In my opinion, the term owc is linked specifically to the ourweecountry web site.

Do you mean only those people who are members of the ourweecountry website?

I do yes, as I have outlined above.

Or do you also include fans of the NI football team who may not be members of the website (the majority of the fans of the NI football team, btw)?

No I don't, otherwise I would have said NI fans rather than OWCers. Which I didn't.

Or, since there will be no box in the 2011 census for owc website members to tick so that they may identify themselves separately, must we conclude that you extend your definition to mean Unionists in NI generally? (Remember that the majority of NI Unionists have no great interest in the NI football team in particular, or football generally).

No, I don't, otherwise I would have said unionists in general. Which I didn't.

For until you define your basic terms somewhat more closely, it is impossible even to start to understand just what the fcuk it is you are trying to say...  ???

Hopefully the basic terms are now crystal clear. I am simply stating that from my, admittedly limited, experience the highest concentration of atheists I have encountered appears to be among the OWC posters.

P.S. For all those other posters who are following/contributing to what is an interesting debate (imo), I am sorry for risking dragging this thread off-topic. All I would say in my defence is that it is in response to another poster who originated this particular tangent, indeed who "name-checked" me specifically.

I am quite entitled to "name-check" specifically you in a thread about atheists. A quick search of the board will show you on eight occasions announce your atheism.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Puckoon

Quote from: The Iceman on December 15, 2010, 08:57:43 PM
The term fundamentalist is a term normally attributed to Protestants, which I am not.In fact it is well known in the Christian

The term fundamentalist been applied across the board to many religious and political allignments. Such as opus dei, the bible belt folk etc. If I had to pick a term or religion to which the word fundamentalist seems to be very closely alligned (rightly or wrongly) it would be islamic. I had never before today considered fundamentalist a term to be normally attributed to protestants, infact - I still dont - and would disagree with the asertion in bold above.

Maguire01

Quote from: Puckoon on December 15, 2010, 09:41:50 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on December 15, 2010, 08:57:43 PM
The term fundamentalist is a term normally attributed to Protestants, which I am not.In fact it is well known in the Christian

The term fundamentalist been applied across the board to many religious and political allignments. Such as opus dei, the bible belt folk etc. If I had to pick a term or religion to which the word fundamentalist seems to be very closely alligned (rightly or wrongly) it would be islamic. I had never before today considered fundamentalist a term to be normally attributed to protestants, infact - I still dont - and would disagree with the asertion in bold above.
I think it's the negative connotations that is making Iceman so defensive, rather than looking at the literal meaning.

bennydorano

Fundemental (evangelical) Catholic = Jesuit, no?

The Iceman

Fundamentalism is definitely applied to the Protestant denomination Puck. Especially at home and especially in apologetic circles.
I am not trying to be defensive on purpose Maguire, I simply responded to the term based on my understanding of it.
Different words do have different meanings aside from what appears in the dictionary.
There is no mention of anyone from Tyrone when you look up the word diving (to lighten the convo a little)  :)

Jesuit's are definitely fundamental as Maguire explains it but I am not.

Anyways I think I have said all I have to say about this - sorry for going off topic on the original post or for at least totally flipping it on its head.

Declan

Funnily I would think Dawkins et all are fundamentalists as well

Puckoon

Well maybe Im just racist - but I hear the word fundamentalist - and I think islamic.

Evil Genius

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 15, 2010, 09:36:21 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 15, 2010, 08:51:45 AM
From my, admittedly limited, experience the highest concentration of atheists appears to be among the OWC fanbase. Of all the owcers I've encountered here only one appeared to be a practising non-atheist. Strange when you consider the gusto with which they belt out the English national anthem about something they clearly don't believe in. I feel the true figures about owcers, which we'll find out in next year's census (coupled with what I have gleaned from EG et al.) will be something along the lines of.

92% - baptised member of a Protestant church who has become an atheist.
7% - Catholic.
0.99% - baptised member of a Protestant church who still practises that doctrine.
0.01% - self-styled intellectual giant trying to pass himself off as both a Catholic and a nationalist on the gaaboard, when in reality he is neither.
What do you mean by "the OWC fanbase" and "owcers"?

In general those who post on ourweecountry.co.uk, specifically those posters from ourweecountry.co.uk who also post here. In my opinion, the term owc is linked specifically to the ourweecountry web site.

Do you mean only those people who are members of the ourweecountry website?

I do yes, as I have outlined above.

Or do you also include fans of the NI football team who may not be members of the website (the majority of the fans of the NI football team, btw)?

No I don't, otherwise I would have said NI fans rather than OWCers. Which I didn't.

Or, since there will be no box in the 2011 census for owc website members to tick so that they may identify themselves separately, must we conclude that you extend your definition to mean Unionists in NI generally? (Remember that the majority of NI Unionists have no great interest in the NI football team in particular, or football generally).

No, I don't, otherwise I would have said unionists in general. Which I didn't.

For until you define your basic terms somewhat more closely, it is impossible even to start to understand just what the fcuk it is you are trying to say...  ???

Hopefully the basic terms are now crystal clear. I am simply stating that from my, admittedly limited, experience the highest concentration of atheists I have encountered appears to be among the OWC posters.

P.S. For all those other posters who are following/contributing to what is an interesting debate (imo), I am sorry for risking dragging this thread off-topic. All I would say in my defence is that it is in response to another poster who originated this particular tangent, indeed who "name-checked" me specifically.

I am quite entitled to "name-check" specifically you in a thread about atheists. A quick search of the board will show you on eight occasions announce your atheism.
So to summarise, you believe that virtually all members of  the ourweecountry website are Atheists; that that claim is pertinent to this (otherwise interesting) debate; oh and that this will somehow be borne out in the 2011 Census?

In other words, WRONG, WRONG and BONKERS.

You know, on the basis of this and many of your previous posts, you clearly have "issues" with the NI football team and its supporters. This pre-occupation is not healthy. You should try to relax a little, instead of allowing us to figure in your life so prominently.

That's, of course, assuming you have a life... ::)

P.S. Re the "0.01%" in your imaginary Census return/OWC Membership List, the poster in question does not style himself as an "intellectual giant" (in my experience at any rate), but he is, to my certain knowledge, both Nationalist and Catholic. I can only assume your inability or unwillingness to accept him for what he is stems from the fact that his views often do not conform to your orthodoxy, indeed frequently prove "inconvenient". For what it's worth, he winds up people on the owc website as frequently as he does on here, something I find rather admirable.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

saffron sam2

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 17, 2010, 12:01:50 AM
So to summarise, you believe that virtually all members of  the ourweecountry website are Atheists; that that claim is pertinent to this (otherwise interesting) debate; oh and that this will somehow be borne out in the 2011 Census?

In other words, WRONG, WRONG and BONKERS.

You know, on the basis of this and many of your previous posts, you clearly have "issues" with the NI football team and its supporters. This pre-occupation is not healthy. You should try to relax a little, instead of allowing us to figure in your life so prominently.

That's, of course, assuming you have a life... ::)

P.S. Re the "0.01%" in your imaginary Census return/OWC Membership List, the poster in question does not style himself as an "intellectual giant" (in my experience at any rate), but he is, to my certain knowledge, both Nationalist and Catholic. I can only assume your inability or unwillingness to accept him for what he is stems from the fact that his views often do not conform to your orthodoxy, indeed frequently prove "inconvenient". For what it's worth, he winds up people on the owc website as frequently as he does on here, something I find rather admirable.

You know what, you should take the time to f**king read what I post, then you wouldn't come across as a thicko.

So to summarise, you believe that virtually all members of  the ourweecountry website are Atheists;

Er, no that is not what I said. What I said was,

From my, admittedly limited, experience the highest concentration of atheists appears to be among the OWC fanbase. Of all the owcers I've encountered here only one appeared to be a practising non-atheist.

and

I am simply stating that from my, admittedly limited, experience the highest concentration of atheists I have encountered appears to be among the OWC posters.

and to clarify the use of owc,

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 15, 2010, 12:58:43 PMWhat do you mean by "the OWC fanbase" and "owcers"?

So how in the name of good fcuk can you say that my experience is

WRONG

You have no idea of my experience. But I'll make it simple for you. To clarify for another f**king time.

In my, admittedly limited experience, the highest concentration of atheists I have encountered appears to be among the posters from ourweecountry.co.uk who also post on gaaboard.com. How can you argue with that?

Now until you get that, the rest of your post is irrelevant nonsense. And you have the temerity to accuse moi of irrelevance.

Oh and your overuse of your new word orthodoxy is becoming extremely tedious. No surprise there.

Oh and your swerve from my alleged issues with all unionists to all posters on owc has been noted. Care to retract your original bollix.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

deiseach

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 17, 2010, 09:13:56 AM
In my, admittedly limited experience, the highest concentration of atheists I have encountered appears to be among the posters from ourweecountry.co.uk who also post on gaaboard.com.

Is there an echo in here?

Kerry Mike

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Kerry Mike on December 17, 2010, 01:50:58 PM
I'm an Atheist, thank God.

Dia Dhuit Kerry Mike, heavens forbid I'd ever start believing in fairytales.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Hardy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 17, 2010, 03:10:51 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on December 17, 2010, 01:50:58 PM
I'm an Atheist, thank God.

Dia Dhuit Kerry Mike, heavens forbid I'd ever start believing in fairytales.

You mean you've never said to yourself in January "this could be our year"?